Blast from the Past....

Actually kicked a FG on the final play of the game which was considered running up the score
… yah, that was right after coach Brodsky was beaned by a frozen orange thrown from the upper deck. Howard was ****ed. He had to call a time out with like 2 seconds left in the game to get the team on the field.

Advertisement
… yah, that was right after coach Brodsky was beaned by a frozen orange thrown from the upper deck. Howard was ****ed. He had to call a time out with like 2 seconds left in the game to get the team on the field.
And the next year we had to kick a FG to beat them. I was listening to the game on the radio that had Florida announcers, and right before the kick was attempted they said something like if he missed it it was because we kicked a rub it in FG the year before.

That 5-2 was called "Monster" according to Fitz...That 5-2 was the base D...with some Olividotti 3-4 garbage sprinkled in....In the 5-2 the LBers were Sisk and Brophy...when we were in a 3-4 Fernandez joined LBers Sisk and Brophy...
Sounds right to me. Seeing 3-4 turns my stomach because of Golden but it was his read and react crap. It was aggressive up the field attacking.

Lol....more versed than you'll ever be....
Butch's and Odgerons DLs were statistically the Best ever....its not their fault that Coach Allen had less to work with....

Bless your heart, but first off, if you're gonna promote Coach O at least spell his name right. Second, Orgeron and Butch barely passed through Miami as DL coaches. For the record, Harold Allen developed more All-Americans and future NFL players than any coach in Miami history. Understandably, these names don't resonate today . . . Ted Hendricks, Rubin Carter, Tony Cristiani, Don Latimer, Eddie Edwards, Gary Dunn, Don Smith, Jim Burt, Lester Williams, Jerome Brown.

If check even further, might find he's the the only assistant coach in the Miami Hall of Fame. He was the DL coach on Miami's first National Championship team. And for a clincher, his ashes were strewn around the Orange Bowl upon his death.

Bless your heart, but first off, if you're gonna promote Coach O at least spell his name right. Second, Orgeron and Butch barely passed through Miami as DL coaches. For the record, Harold Allen developed more All-Americans and future NFL players than any coach in Miami history. Understandably, these names don't resonate today . . . Ted Hendricks, Rubin Carter, Tony Cristiani, Don Latimer, Eddie Edwards, Gary Dunn, Don Smith, Jim Burt, Lester Williams, Jerome Brown.

If check even further, might find he's the the only assistant coach in the Miami Hall of Fame. He was the DL coach on Miami's first National Championship team. And for a clincher, his ashes were strewn around the Orange Bowl upon his death.
If you call 84-88 barely passing by as a DL coach...(and lets not kid ourselves...Butch was DL coach from 95-2000 regardless who had title) then I dont know what to tell you....
Jerome...Stubbs...Wilfork....Jimmy Jones...Bill Hawkins...Kevin ***an...Derwin Jones....Greg Mark....Kenard Lang...Patrick Riley...Kenny Holmes...All send their best....
I too can name name's that far surpass yours...lets not mention the DLmen that Butch left Erickson if ya want to get picky...

Last edited:
Advertisement
If you call 84-88 barely passing by as a DL coach...(and lets not kid ourselves...Butch was DL coach from 95-2000 regardless who had title) then I dont know what to tell you....
Jerome...Stubbs...Wilfork....Jimmy Jones...Bill Hawkins...Kevin ***an...Derwin Jones....Greg Mark....Kenard Lang...Patrick Riley...Kenny Holmes...All send their best....
I too can name name's that far surpass yours...lets not mention the DLmen that Butch left Erickson if ya want to get picky...
Yeah, Butch is definitely a do-it-all guy.

Nice pic. That’s Freddy Marion cutting in front of Cris Collinsworth for the int.

That looks like the 1980 game at UF where
Schnellenberger ran up the score on the inbreds because their fans were pelting our sideline with oranges.

Yup, we kicked a non-necessary field goal in the last few seconds which UF never put up on the board.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
I have a program from the 1966 Orange Bowl where Bama stomped Nebraska. Huskers couldn't stop Steve Sloan to Ray Perkins offense. Alabama's LBs were sub-200 pounds. Maybe even a few of their OL too.
Who cares alafaga sucks...

Man I’m having great flashbacks from that game. I remember parking under the overpass and walking to the OB and looking up at the sunset tinting the sky orange and my mom saying it’s a sign we’re going to win. I laughed because the idea of us beating mighty Nebraska was crazy.
Then I remember when the polls came out running around the neighborhood yelling because we were number one… Good times.

Advertisement
and he was all of what, 5’10”, 240 to boot.

I was a kid then and I admit I was scared ****less when Nebraska came out for warmups they wee so fcuking huge.
There wasn't a guy on that field (UM or Nebraska) that wasn't 'roided up as f-ck. But Nebraska was naturally bigger to start with. Their OL I think averaged 300lbs, which for 1983 was massive.

There wasn't a guy on that field (UM or Nebraska) that wasn't 'roided up as f-ck. But Nebraska was naturally bigger to start with. Their OL I think averaged 300lbs, which for 1983 was massive.
Ahh, the good old days.

Advertisement
Huge across the offensive line with the game's top center, Dean Steinkuhler. Guy was ridiculously strong.

I have a program from the 1966 Orange Bowl where Bama stomped Nebraska. Huskers couldn't stop Steve Sloan to Ray Perkins offense. Alabama's LBs were sub-200 pounds. Maybe even a few of their OL too.
Back in the '60's, especially early '60's, it was unususual to have linemen, including interior linemen, at 200 or under. In 1963, we had a center, Bob Hart, who was 195. He also played some LB. He sometimes was replaced by Bob Dentel, who was a big guy--220.

Back then I'd look at the game programs and see a guy who didn't start early in his career who was absolutely huge -- Rowland "Rex" Benson. He was 248. Back then, players over 250 were unusual.

In the '66 Liberty Bowl (hope I got the year right), our offensive guard, Tom Hamilton, was 205. He faced off against a very big DL for Virginia Tech, probably 250 or over. I remember Hamilton commenting on the guy, said he was "garbage."

In the early '60's I remember that Alabama had light guys up front on defense. Bear Bryant understood speed and often converted skill players to LBs, maybe even to DLs.

Jimmy Johnson was a small interior lineman at Arkansas. He was good, though.

[/Q
Who cares alafaga sucks...
No. It is significant because it reflects the thinking of one of the greatest minds in football--Bear Bryant. He recognized the great importance of speed and quickness. As did JJ 20 years later.

If Schnellenberger had stayed, we might have lost our edge, because the defense he left for Jimmy was not fast. The next year we beat UF, but one of the Gator backs, maybe it was Lorenzo Hampton, flashed on us and ran a long one in for a TD. That disconcerted Jimmy who said after the game, "Nobody was even close to him. Maybe all the speed went to the other schools, UF or FSU."

The Schnellenberger/Olivadotti defense was very stout at certain things, particularly bottling up the run. It did not have the overall speed JJ liked and did not attack and cause havoc the way Jimmy wanted.

Advertisement
Back