Blast from the Past....

Huge across the offensive line with the game's top center, Dean Steinkuhler. Guy was ridiculously strong.
Might even be undersized now. Listen to the recent podcast by McKinnie and Romberg. They describe our current OL as huge compared to our 2001 OL.

Without comparing them, the 1983 Nebraska line was probably smaller than our current OL and many college OLs today.

Kevin ***an said when he lined up against Nebraska the opposing player was the hugest human being he had ever seen.

Advertisement
Yea I knew an assistant trainer from that team. It was massively widespread, and we weren't even close to the worst.
Some of our former coaches and trainers ended up at Louisville a few years after leaving with Howard. One commented on how much bigger at least one of our OLs was then a year or two before that coach or trainer left Miami for Louisville. Said it was unnatural for that guy to get so much larger. In other words, they were commenting on what they implied was a very active steroid "program" at UM. Of course, some of it was going on when they were still at UM.

Yea I knew an assistant trainer from that team. It was massively widespread, and we weren't even close to the worst.
I'm somewhat skeptical. We had guys who were light, like Fred Robinson, who was under 250, but seemed to have the frame to be much larger. We had a lot of other guys who seems like they would have been much bigger if they had been doing steroids.

Maybe they didn't do them the way guys were doing them later on. Or maybe the lifting techniques later on were more conducive to developing bulk when combined with the supplement.

I refer to guys like this as Cane pillars because they definitely helped build the program.

Advertisement
Back in the '60's, especially early '60's, it was unususual to have linemen, including interior linemen, at 200 or under. In 1963, we had a center, Bob Hart, who was 195. He also played some LB. He sometimes was replaced by Bob Dentel, who was a big guy--220.

Back then I'd look at the game programs and see a guy who didn't start early in his career who was absolutely huge -- Rowland "Rex" Benson. He was 248. Back then, players over 250 were unusual.

In the '66 Liberty Bowl (hope I got the year right), our offensive guard, Tom Hamilton, was 205. He faced off against a very big DL for Virginia Tech, probably 250 or over. I remember Hamilton commenting on the guy, said he was "garbage."

In the early '60's I remember that Alabama had light guys up front on defense. Bear Bryant understood speed and often converted skill players to LBs, maybe even to DLs.

Jimmy Johnson was a small interior lineman at Arkansas. He was good, though.
Bear Bryant always favored small and quick over big and slow. Worked for him until it didn't.

I was at State College, PA in 1968 for our road game against Penn State. Our two defensive ends were Ted Hendricks and Tony Cline. Ted was All-World and Tony had a long and productive NFL career ahead himself. Anyway, we were holding our own until Cline goes out with an injury. His backup was Jim Kresl who weighed 198. Downhill from there as Penn State just ran to the side of the field where Hendricks wasn't lined up.

I'm somewhat skeptical. We had guys who were light, like Fred Robinson, who was under 250, but seemed to have the frame to be much larger. We had a lot of other guys who seems like they would have been much bigger if they had been doing steroids.

Maybe they didn't do them the way guys were doing them later on. Or maybe the lifting techniques later on were more conducive to developing bulk when combined with the supplement.

Guys were naturally smaller to begin with back then. Doesn't mean they weren't juicing.

Guys were naturally smaller to begin with back then. Doesn't mean they weren't juicing.

William "the refrigerator" Perry was huge back when he played. He wouldn't even look big today. Players have gotten much bigger as time goes on for sure. Perry's story is a sad one.

William "the refrigerator" Perry was huge back when he played. He wouldn't even look big today. Players have gotten much bigger as time goes on for sure. Perry's story is a sad one.
Nah Fridge would still be big. But not unheard of big.

Advertisement
giphy.gif

Bless your heart, but first off, if you're gonna promote Coach O at least spell his name right. Second, Orgeron and Butch barely passed through Miami as DL coaches. For the record, Harold Allen developed more All-Americans and future NFL players than any coach in Miami history. Understandably, these names don't resonate today . . . Ted Hendricks, Rubin Carter, Tony Cristiani, Don Latimer, Eddie Edwards, Gary Dunn, Don Smith, Jim Burt, Lester Williams, Jerome Brown.

If check even further, might find he's the the only assistant coach in the Miami Hall of Fame. He was the DL coach on Miami's first National Championship team. And for a clincher, his ashes were strewn around the Orange Bowl upon his death.

Allen wasn't Hendricks' position coach.

Bear Bryant always favored small and quick over big and slow. Worked for him until it didn't.

I was at State College, PA in 1968 for our road game against Penn State. Our two defensive ends were Ted Hendricks and Tony Cline. Ted was All-World and Tony had a long and productive NFL career ahead himself. Anyway, we were holding our own until Cline goes out with an injury. His backup was Jim Kresl who weighed 198. Downhill from there as Penn State just ran to the side of the field where Hendricks wasn't lined up.
I remember how Tate used to talk about Tony Cline. He had an incredible rookie year sack number for the Raiders. Unfortunately it was unofficial since they didn't officially record sack records at the time.

Do you remember which side **** Sorensen played on? I think he was on Hendrick's side. Cline was about 235, more than Hendricks weighed. I remember Kresl..

When did quick and slow stop working for him? I'm sure his players got bigger, they did everywhere. UM in late '60' was bigger than in early '60's.

Advertisement
I remember how Tate used to talk about Tony Cline. He had an incredible rookie year sack number for the Raiders. Unfortunately it was unofficial since they didn't officially record sack records at the time.

Do you remember which side **** Sorensen played on? I think he was on Hendrick's side. Cline was about 235, more than Hendricks weighed. I remember Kresl..

When did quick and slow stop working for him? I'm sure his players got bigger, they did everywhere. UM in late '60' was bigger than in early '60's.
Yeah, I think Ted was listed at something like 212 as a Soph. Think he was only 10 pounds or so heavier when he got drafted a couple seasons later. Why the Colts moved him to LB.

I'm sure you recall he played as a TE/WR on the freshman team and at 6'7, with speed, was a terrific target on offense. Think Tate made the right decision to move him to D as his offense (like most back then) was run-oriented and we didn't have a great QB to throw him the ball. He coulda been an All-American on either side of the LOS though.

Because of the success of 83, the 80 and 81 teams are often forgotten, and wrongfully so. They were both very good, and the 81 team dropped two extremely close games to ranked opponents, on the road, and with terrible officiating in both. They were good enough to win it all in 81.
Some say we were the best team in the country that year. I first started seeing UM again in about '80. I think my first game in almost a decade was the 1980 UM-UFgame. I remember how shocked the announcers were that we went for that FG.

That might have been the first time I had seen a Miami game in almost ten years. The Canes were never on national TV in the '70's.

Yeah, I think Ted was listed at something like 212 as a Soph. Think he was only 10 pounds or so heavier when he got drafted a couple seasons later. Why the Colts moved him to LB.

I'm sure you recall he played as a TE/WR on the freshman team and at 6'7, with speed, was a terrific target on offense. Think Tate made the right decision to move him to D as his offense (like most back then) was run-oriented and we didn't have a great QB to throw him the ball. He coulda been an All-American on either side of the LOS though.
His final year there were plans to use Ted on offense for some plays. They thought it might enhance his chances to win the Heisman. They put in some plays, maybe for goal line offense.

I don't think they ever used him on offense that year.

(As we know now, the proper use of a WR on goal line situations is a 5'10" guy with no demonstrable history of being a great leader and run them on a fade. We've learned that this year. So it was wise not to put in a guy like Ted who would tower over everybody in a goal line situation.)

Advertisement
Because he was beating people up in bars
Honestly??? It’s a sad state, when this man was a part of the culture here in the 80’s and early 90’s that he could of brought us back from this bad 15 year nightmare. He’s doing an outstanding job at LSU, I wish it was here. But hey, I’m going to try and be patient to see where the mayors coach and the bartender takes us!

And there’s nothing wrong with beating people up in bars!!! I judge no one! I’m guessing they deserved it! 🙃

Advertisement
Back