Blake James - Finalist AD for BC (updated 5/31) Confirmed Hired

It’s always blown my mind that these schools and teams don’t peep through the history of message boards from previous stops of the guys that they’re about to give millions of dollars to and see how people felt about them. I know the high and mighty scoff at the free, unsolicited, opinions of peons, but in reality, we know more about these dudes than your dumb search committee does who looks at resumes and haircuts. Even when I make small hires, I go into the weeds of what I can find online about the person and often what I find is very revealing.

I know we’re not experts on juggling football, basketball, and underwater basketweaving programs, but a general rule of thumb is if the last places fanbase (a thing you also have) was delighted to see him go, that means something.
It's like when Houston fans did not want to believe us about D'onofrio. As if we did not just spend multiple years watching every minute of the team, overanalyzing everything and proceeding to rip our hair out of our head and curse every god because of the guy. No, surely it must have been sour grapes from Miami fans.

Advertisement
BC has made two smart hires at AD the last two go arounds. What a shame it will be if they hire Blake.

It’s all about the U, but I live right next to the campus and like attending hockey and football games and I won’t be able to continue to support any program run by that guy. Plus they’re going to suck if they hire him.

Blake James…. Finalist for a P5 AD gig
1653606951578.gif

They seriously need their **** heads examined.

Exactly he is the PERFECT hire for them. Good fundraiser. It's funny in life how I used to get ****ed with the rude person at the drive through window until I matured and realized they weren't the problem. I need to talk to the manager. Blake James was hired by a school admin with low expectations and standards. When the standards and investement was raised you get the highest quality AD and Coach in decades.

PS Yall let Blake go. I guarantee you he not thinking about yall. Hope he lands on his feet.
Nah **** all that homie. He deserves to land on his useless ***. He did nothing for the U that any Joe Schmoe off that street could have done.

Advertisement
Nah **** all that homie. He deserves to land on his useless ***. He did nothing for the U that any Joe Schmoe off that street could have done.
I feel what your saying truly. The admin accepted work that any Joe schmoe could do FOR YEARS. Was Blake the problem or was it the admin and their standards? Kirk Herbstreet didn't waiste his time with Blake James. He aimed straight for the top. Not defending James at all. Just saying all the issues over the years were bigger than James. This off-season proves that.

I feel what your saying truly. The admin accepted work that any Joe schmoe could do FOR YEARS. Was Blake the problem or was it the admin and their standards? Kirk Herbstreet didn't waiste his time with Blake James. He aimed straight for the top. Not defending James at all. Just saying all the issues over the years were bigger than James. This off-season proves that.
Oh, agreed 100%. It wasn’t Blake’s fault he was born to be mediocre. The blame definitely falls on the admin for sure.

That, however, does not absolve him of his sins. It does not excuse Blake. Just because he was hired in over his head does not mean he should stay in the same spot several years later. It’s not like he was completely hamstrung where the admin was telling him no for everything he wanted to do. One of the biggest boosters we have said “give me a reason to write you a blank check.” His response “I’d rather stay where I’m at and maybe add an extra fish to my fish tank.”

He lacked vision and was complacent. Two of the biggest issues if you are part of a competitive environment like CFB.

Advertisement

Respectfully...disagree...

Here's the thing...nobody expects a UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT to be some kind of an athletics visionary. That is the role of the AD. To act as if Beta Blake was some poor, poor misguided soul who just needed some love and attention to blossom into a great AD is just misguided. I don't know any "real-life" job that just says "yeah, your boss didn't have high standards, you weren't challenged, the problems are bigger than you, so all of your incompetence is forgiven".

Beta Blake had worked in Athletic Departments, and several of them, throughout his career. I'm sure that he had at least one decent boss at one time in his life. And if he doesn't know what he's supposed to do, and how to lead an Athletic Department, then he should have moved on. I'm not sitting here defending OR blaming Shalala and/or Frenk, but neither one of them was hired to run an Athletic Department. Beta Blake WAS hired to do so. He was paid a salary of a million dollars by the end of his disastrous tenure. If we are going to blame a President or a BOT, then maybe Beta Blake should refund us some of that bloated salary.

At any point, Beta Blake could have put together a PowerPoint presentation (stolen from years worth of posts on this board) showing the President and the BOT the linkages between a winning football program and more applicants to the University...the revenue that could arise from a stadium and more merchandise sales...the direct impact that greater investment in facilities and coaching salaries has on ultimate success...

Beta Blake did none of those things. He sat in his office for nearly a decade, holding budgets to a near-zero-percent increase year-over-year...he FVCKED UP our Nike deal and signed away our birthright to adidas...with a program located in, what, the #2 media market in the ACC, he did NOTHING to push the ACC to establish a network or negotiate for better TV deals...and he was either dead-last or second-to-last in the Power 5 to build an Indoor Practice Facility that required both a major donation from a coach PLUS a GoFundMe to complete the project.

Yeah...politely...fvck Beta Blake James straight to ****...

I have gotten to know Blake over the past 10 years. He is a good guy. I have no ill will towards him but I'm glad he isnt the AD anymore.

Its about who you know... Blake obviously knows someone who can convince others that 'performance' shouldn't be considered with this hire.

Look at UM just 6 months after Blake's departure. It seems like donors, boosters, etc were basically waiting for Blake to leave. We were implementing plans before we had an AD lol.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back