Blake Baker

Listen guys. I know this might be hard for you to understand but our players just aren’t that good. We have a bunch of 7 on 7 players on offense & our linebackers actually have gotten worse since their freshman year.

Advertisement
Listen guys. I know this might be hard for you to understand but our players just aren’t that good. We have a bunch of 7 on 7 players on offense & our linebackers actually have gotten worse since their freshman year.
I think this what we have to realize. We have average playera

I’d use some of the same stats in support of Manny’s defense. Namely, 3rd down defense from 2017 to 2018. He saw a weakness and he addressed it. That’s the sign of a good (maybe “aware” would be a better word?) coach.

There’s been several years of debate now on Mannys system. Guys like you and I who’ve been on these boards forever likely have their opinion formed by now. I’ll always err on the side of aggression. Maybe that’s partly a hangover from the D’No/Golden scheme, but it’s also true as a stand-alone statement. I like havoc, even if it means an occasional big play given up.

As far as the old 4-3 base you mentioned, we don’t have the horses to just line up and beat you. Not to mention, offensive football has advanced light years since we ran that style of defense.

To me, it comes down to a lack of personnel. I don’t really need to pick on any one defender because none of them have really shown anything this year. No one stands out. If it’s the same defense, as you suggest, then where are the Willis/Quan/JJ/MJ type guys, who should presumably be plug and play if it’s a gimmicky system? We just don’t have the guys this year. At least not yet, being that we are young and these guys are gonna take time to develop.

This is my no means an endorsement for Baker. The jury is still out. It’s only been 2 games so I’m not writing him off, but 4th and 17 was bad. But before I’d chastise Manny for trying to keep continuity in the defense, I’d rather see him take the playcalling reigns back over.

I pretty much agree with this. I think that it is probably too early to determine whether Baker is going to be good enough or not, but I would say that he didn't appear to be great in this game. I agree that Manny's improvement from 2016 to 2017 to 2018 shows that as a coach, he was able to adapt his defensive system (by adding the striker, running some of those unnecessary blitzes less, etc.), and we generally saw the positive results of that. The call of the blitz on 4th and 17 does remind me of some of the times Manny ran those types of blitzes on 3rd and long without success and seemingly recklessly, and hopefully this will also be a learning experience for Baker. Like you, at this point I am definitely not endorsing Baker, but I do think that some of our defense's struggle has been due to personnel issues.

Tthe losses of Willis, Jaquan and Redwine have also been a huge factor in how our defense is playing. Honestly, the past 2 years, I thought that McIntosh, and then Willis, were the best and most impactful players on our defenses. Those guys blew up so many plays, caused so much havoc, had so many and caused so many TFLs, that made the entire defense function at another level. Before the season, I, and many others, said that Ford was likely the most important player on the defense, because this 4-3/4-2-5 defense requires penetration from the DT position. So far, it seems like Ford has played well and made some plays, but has not been nearly as disruptive as those past 2 guys. As a result, the entire defense hasn't been as disruptive. Ford looks like he has the potential to continue to improve to be a force, but right now, he is playing like a good, but not great Miami DT.

And Jaquan was honestly our cleaner, that dude just cleaned up so many busts, prevented so many bad plays from happening, and now, we are seeing what happens when you don't have a guy like that on the backend in this defense. Hopefully, Hall or Bolden evolve into that guy, but we're desperately in need of someone to do that soon.

Hopefully, as our young guys develop, we'll see our defense improve. In the meantime, we need Baker to do things to put them in a position to succeed, and running a blitz like that on 4th and 17 was not the type of call that does that.

I was defending Patchan but I cant do it any longer. NC running backs constantly broke contain going his way. And they continued to go that way all night once they identified the weakest link.
They did it on both sides. On one, Hasselbeck even commented that the QB blocked Garvin with his read. In almost all cases our LBs were filling inside gaps. There was no OLB watching off tackle.

Advertisement
No gap assignments.

Also, this idiot Blake Baker, just said he thought 55 played great. Like this ************ has no idea what the standard is at Miami for linebacker! 55 was literally a liability at times on the field. Missed several tackles and reads. Baker is a stooge.

Manny's defense was great last year. All of the NCAA's defensive stats prove it. It as Top 5 in many key categories. It felt like a good Miami defense. That defense had quite a few NFL players on it but none of them were high round picks. They were experienced & had good Football IQs though (especially players like Jaquan).

I actually think that some of the current players on Defense (like Rousseau, Gurvan & Amari Carter) may be more physically talented than the guys they replaced but they simply have less experience at this point.

The jury is out on Baker. Fact: we should be getting way more sacks from the DL. He's not playing some of our best players enough. If you want to rattle a freshman QB (like UNC's), send Rousseau & Hill after him (instead of having Patchan in so much). A few hits from our best rushers would have likely shaken that young QB badly. It's just honestly dumb to me. I get that Patchan's good against the run & a senior etc. News flash: We need to win & win now for recruiting & momentum for the Manny Diaz era. Play Rousseau & Hill more for God's sake!

Also, I don't think Baker's defense looks & plays like Manny's defense. We have the horses to play Manny's defense. Turnovers are down & the defense doesn't seem as organized & aggressive. Manny can & should give significant input to Blake when reviewing film & in meetings. On key downs, he should also take over playcalling. Otherwise, he should defer to Blake.

Gap Integrity is, and has been a Joke for sometime....Between that & Special Teams play, it's comical....There is Absolutely NO excuse for **** Poor STs play for these amount of yrs....NONE....and the same goes for a LBing crew, who's play has regressed the past 2yrs....Horrible Coaching....

Advertisement
Are you sure about that ?
Yes, bottom line those guys aren’t being anywhere near what we need them to be.

Garvin in 108 snaps 0 tfls 0 sacks
Patchan 88 snaps 0 tfls 0 sacks

Rousseau in 26 snaps has 3.5 tfls 2 sacks

People talk about the linebackers not playing well, the starters at end are playing far worse and it’s not close... At least the linebackers are doing something.

Vs unc
Shaq had 5 tackles 2.0 tfls 1 sack
Pinckney 6.5 tackles 1.5 tfls 1 sack
Finley 5 tackles 2.0 tfls

Last edited:
Post link please for both weeks or you are just making **** up.
The grades for offense and defense are both on Rivals. This is last weeks. I don’t make things up.
DAD80F21-188D-415D-9532-4E0364D957CD.jpeg

Advertisement
2 senior linebackers at the bottom. I would say that's unbelievable but once you look at Shaq and Pinck every year since their freshman season, you can really see that they've regressed. Disappointing is an understatement.
I am looking for the grades from UF - they were both on the very bottom. This was supposed to be the best LB group in the ACC. They still take bad angles and look slow.

I'd be willing to flip flop Hill and Rousseau. But I don't think Patchan should be starting.

There’s problems any way we play this with the de’s other than garvin. We’re suspect to the run with hill but he’s a better rusher. Patchan sets the edge and plays the run well , yet isn’t explosive as he was pre injury hurting his pass rushing.

That’s why the second de spot will continue to be by committee. They all have major flaws minus Garvin. He gets all the attention , there’s no Willis eating double teams any more.

Those bashing garvin and sucking off Jackson are delusional , Jackson had Willis , McIntosh , Norton , garvin and Trent Harris during his time. He NEVER saw what garvin is seeing now. Willis alone made that dL last year.

Jackson was never schemed for , doubled or chipped regularly. This dL just isn’t as good or talented.

Advertisement
There’s problems any way we play this with the de’s other than garvin. We’re suspect to the run with hill but he’s a better rusher. Patchan sets the edge and plays the run well , yet isn’t explosive as he was pre injury hurting his pass rushing.

That’s why the second de spot will continue to be by committee. They all have major flaws minus Garvin. He gets all the attention , there’s no Willis eating double teams any more.

Those bashing garvin and sucking off Jackson are delusional , Jackson had Willis , McIntosh , Norton , garvin and Trent Harris during his time. He NEVER saw what garvin is seeing now. Willis alone made that dL last year.

Jackson was never schemed for , doubled or chipped regularly. This dL just isn’t as good or talented.
We expect garvin to beat OT stone forsythe for uf a first year starter yet he wasn’t doing that. We expect him to dominate vs unc OTs lined up against yet he wasn’t doing that. Garvin didn’t have a sack in the last 6 games of the season WITH joe Jackson and Willis in 2018 so enough with that excuse man lol. It’s simple, he just isn’t getting the job done

We expect garvin to beat OT stone forsythe for uf a first year starter yet he wasn’t doing that. We expect him to dominate vs unc OTs lined up against yet he wasn’t doing that. Garvin didn’t have a sack in the last 6 games of the season WITH joe Jackson and Willis in 2018 so enough with that excuse man lol. It’s simple, he just isn’t getting the job done

Garvin was spying and playing contain majority of that game. Out of no respect for franks.

It’s not an excuse , it’s facts. Jackson was never the guy here , ever. It’s easy to get pressure when it’s one on one all game , with everyone focusing on a monster inside.

It’s not an excuse , it’s facts. Jackson was never the guy here , ever. It’s easy to get pressure when it’s one on one all game , with everyone focusing on a monster inside.
Joe Jackson routinely beat his man off his power and rush moves on the outside alone. You don’t get 24 sacks in 3 years by not doing so. Those dts (McIntosh and Norton) were good but they weren’t that **** good to attribute jackson’s success due to their presence . Willis was a little better and jackson’s Stats increased slightly

Plus why is rousseau being so much more productive than garvin with 80 less snaps? Not having joe Jackson, Willis, McIntosh etc doesn’t seem to be hurting him.

Rousseau 3.5 tfls 2 sacks on just 26 snaps

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back