Blake Baker

Advertisement
Do you not remember our last two bowl games? We twice made Wisconsin’s qb look like a heisman winner. Manny got exposed against good coaches.

Go back and watch in 16’, VT and ND. 17’ Toledo, Pitt, Virginia, Clemson and Wisconsin. I can go on. Let’s not act like Diaz doesn’t struggle or gets his **** pushed in against anyone with a pulse on Offense.

Baker has brought some different elements to the Defense. We are thinking a lot more, complacent (not as aggressive) and not in position to be successful. Too many of you give our Defense a pass for the Florida game. An elite Defense shuts down that garbage Offense and doesn’t give up big plays like we do each game. UNC looked better against USC than they did against us.

Edit: UNC looked worse against USC Defense than ours.

Last edited:
BAKER CALLED A BAD GAME... but he did not decline our redzone efficiency to 3A highschool level. We shouldn't have to kick field goals with a potential to miss them, we should be coming away with 7 each time.

Thats the BS I saw in this game. JW is the truth, Blake called a bad game and had all his players out of place, and manny needs to start interjecting.

Manny's first year he god burned a few games I remember with poor calls, and you saw that all change middle of his first season, and even more yr 2. Hope Blake gets it...

This is the same D MD ran but without good serviceable dts u are fuqed, we havent recruited DT well in a good while we have been getting "hidden gems" besides Nesta

I've been saying for a while Manny's defense is predicated on having a very good or better dline coach in addition to good DT'S.

Baker had a good dline coach while at La Tech but lacked the DT'S so incorporated a lot more dline stunts and twist games up front. But that negates our dlines 1st step quickness advantage and also takes away the power bull rush inside that Ford and occasionally Miller can provide.

As for Nesta he will be absolutely wasted with stunts he is a bull rush all day and twice on Saturday type. Baker needs to stop with cute games upfront and play straight fronts to let the players athletic ability shine.

Go Canes

Advertisement
I've been saying for a while Manny's defense is predicated on having a very good or better dline coach in addition to good DT'S.

Baker had a good dline coach while at La Tech but lacked the DT'S so incorporated a lot more dline stunts and twist games up front. But that negates our dlines 1st step quickness advantage and also takes away the power bull rush inside that Ford and occasionally Miller can provide.

As for Nesta he will be absolutely wasted with stunts he is a bull rush all day and twice on Saturday type. Baker needs to stop with cute games upfront and play straight fronts to let the players athletic ability shine.

Go Canes
Who was the DL coach at LA Tech?

Advertisement
Go back and watch in 16’, VT and ND. 17’ Toledo, Pitt, Virginia, Clemson and Wisconsin. I can go on. Let’s not act like Diaz doesn’t struggle or gets his **** pushed in against anyone with a pulse on Offense.

Baker has brought some different elements to the Defense. We are thinking a lot more, complacent (not as aggressive) and not in position to be successful. Too many of you give our Defense a pass for the Florida game. An elite Defense shuts down that garbage Offense and doesn’t give up big plays like we do each game. UNC looked better against USC than they did against us.

Thank you for this.

I think the offense is gonna be goodn Enos will keep developing and making adjustments and Jarren and the OL is only gonna get better, with that being said the defense is what worries me. The play calling this game was so bad, communication in the secondary is bad, which should not be happening considering the continuity in that unit, LB are very average, DL is very average, and most important of them all is recruiting. Though I like the 2020 class we shou not be in this bad in depth rn. And I did give Flagg the benefit of a doubt, but by watching shaq and Pickney play I can confide tly say his game will not translate to the next level.

Who was the DL coach at LA Tech?

Oscar Giles (now he is at Texas) and then Rick Petri (twice former UM dline Coach) so they have had two of the best dline coaches go through La Tech. Both are incredible technicians as coaches.

**** Petri went to Duke for a while after UM and their defense playing lights out. But Petri is a little odd so it didn't work out at Duke. An he doesn't like to recruit, which is most likely why Manny didn't offer him the dline job, despite his on field production. (Our current dline roster in Petri's hands would be on par with Kool's and Simpson's dline performances)

Go Canes

This is the same D MD ran but without good serviceable dts u are fuqed, we havent recruited DT well in a good while we have been getting "hidden gems" besides Nesta

This is not the same Defensive Scheme that Diaz has been playing. DT's are not being ask to penetrate and get up-field as much. You can also see that on the ENDS as well, Patchan starts because he is better against the Run.

Advertisement
Manny needed to realize his defense was not good enough last year and hire someone better than him as DC. He did not and first and biggest fail as HC. He did a Al Golden pride thing. Had JJ brought his wishbone with him from OKS he would have destroyed the program. But he was a HC and saw Howard’s offense was superior. Manny though his defense was the best — it looked good compared to horrible offense. Unfortunately Manny is a nole so he will not quit for the sake of the program.
This is an inaccurate post. By all objective measures our defense was good last year. Not “compared to a horrible offense” - IN SPITE of a horrible offense.

We lost quan and redwine, Joe Jackson and Willis, Mike Jack... you expected us to, what, improve? Stay at the same level? Unrealistic expectations.

I don’t blame manny for getting a guy he thought could continue what he built. Someone who would play fast and downhill and try to disrupt in the backfield. Why go away from something that wasn’t broken? So far, the problem hasn’t been a failure to realize his defense wasn’t good enough as you (foolishly) suggest, it’s either that (i) he made the wrong hire or (ii) we simply don’t have the horses this year.

This is not the same Defensive Scheme that Diaz has been playing. DT's are not being ask to penetrate and get up-field as much. You can also see that on the ENDS as well, Patchan starts because he is better against the Run.

And the DEs are getting too far up field - not helping to collapse the pocket.

This right here.

Along with disruptive DTs, we had quan always in correct position and never missing an open field tackle.

Lose players of that caliber and the D isn’t gonna look as good.

Advertisement
i seen that same **** safety blitz from 20 yards out single high look and im thinking to myself this is Manny's scheme, maybe someone who knows more can elaborate on it but cover 0 we should never be doing unless we have superior cover corners and we dont. Or at least have a dominant DL which we dont

This right here.

Along with disruptive DTs, we had quan always in correct position and never missing an open field tackle.

Lose players of that caliber and the D isn’t gonna look as good.
all about players still today as it has always been, we always were at our best when we had dominant players people seem to forget it.

This is an inaccurate post. By all objective measures our defense was good last year. Not “compared to a horrible offense” - IN SPITE of a horrible offense.

We lost quan and redwine, Joe Jackson and Willis, Mike Jack... you expected us to, what, improve? Stay at the same level? Unrealistic expectations.

I don’t blame manny for getting a guy he thought could continue what he built. Someone who would play fast and downhill and try to disrupt in the backfield. Why go away from something that wasn’t broken? So far, the problem hasn’t been a failure to realize his defense wasn’t good enough as you (foolishly) suggest, it’s either that (i) he made the wrong hire or (ii) we simply don’t have the horses this year.

It depends on your starting point. We had the Golden years of defense -- Manny was a a massive ray of sunshine after that. That was not the return of Hurricane defense but the transfer of Manny's defense with its history of short term success and then fade. He is more gimmick than the old Cane defenses which were more "we will play our base defense, crash the LOS, attack your raping the runners on the way and dare you to beat us". I will grant your that we do not have the speed to play that now but this is Manny's third full defensive recruiting class so that is on him.

The truth remains that Manny thinks HIS defense is the right defense just like Golden thought his was. Manny's resembles our old defense so we felt more comfortable that with Al's herd of cows defense, but it is not our old defense. 2017 with TOC was exciting but THE 3RD down problems were horrible. 2018 improved on 3rd down but turnovers became non factor. That is why I insist Manny should have known his defense needed to get better, instead he hire a the boy who was busy running his same defense -- hum, that is not much different that Al and friend.

I was okay with Manny's OC hire because it showed promise of improvement. It might be wrong move but it had shot. The DC hire and retention of the entire staff showed that "Manny the HC" thinks "Manny the DC" was god. Manny the HC just got beat by the HC who gave him a massive chance at DC of about the best program in the country only to have to fired him before the year was out and then get fired himself. Now Manny gets shot at the greatest HC opportunity there is and what does he do -- assume his defense is good enough. That defense just gave up its second late 4th quarter lead. DCs get fired for that but Manny has he own boy toy at DC now, so I doubt that will happen.

I mistakenly thought Golden would realize his defense was not Hurricane defense and needed to change. That caused me to defend him for two years. Maybe Manny fired his DC this year and brings in one who will give us a real Hurricane defense but I am not going down that road unless he does. Offense might have not been great or even good this week but it took the lead late in the fourth, that put the game in the hands of Manny's defense and it failed. That is his failure. Like him doe not change that.

It depends on your starting point. We had the Golden years of defense -- Manny was a a massive ray of sunshine after that. That was not the return of Hurricane defense but the transfer of Manny's defense with its history of short term success and then fade. He is more gimmick than the old Cane defenses which were more "we will play our base defense, crash the LOS, attack your raping the runners on the way and dare you to beat us". I will grant your that we do not have the speed to play that now but this is Manny's third full defensive recruiting class so that is on him.

The truth remains that Manny thinks HIS defense is the right defense just like Golden thought his was. Manny's resembles our old defense so we felt more comfortable that with Al's herd of cows defense, but it is not our old defense. 2017 with TOC was exciting but THE 3RD down problems were horrible. 2018 improved on 3rd down but turnovers became non factor. That is why I insist Manny should have known his defense needed to get better, instead he hire a the boy who was busy running his same defense -- hum, that is not much different that Al and friend.

I was okay with Manny's OC hire because it showed promise of improvement. It might be wrong move but it had shot. The DC hire and retention of the entire staff showed that "Manny the HC" thinks "Manny the DC" was god. Manny the HC just got beat by the HC who gave him a massive chance at DC of about the best program in the country only to have to fired him before the year was out and then get fired himself. Now Manny gets shot at the greatest HC opportunity there is and what does he do -- assume his defense is good enough. That defense just gave up its second late 4th quarter lead. DCs get fired for that but Manny has he own boy toy at DC now, so I doubt that will happen.

I mistakenly thought Golden would realize his defense was not Hurricane defense and needed to change. That caused me to defend him for two years. Maybe Manny fired his DC this year and brings in one who will give us a real Hurricane defense but I am not going down that road unless he does. Offense might have not been great or even good this week but it took the lead late in the fourth, that put the game in the hands of Manny's defense and it failed. That is his failure. Like him doe not change that.
I’d use some of the same stats in support of Manny’s defense. Namely, 3rd down defense from 2017 to 2018. He saw a weakness and he addressed it. That’s the sign of a good (maybe “aware” would be a better word?) coach.

There’s been several years of debate now on Mannys system. Guys like you and I who’ve been on these boards forever likely have their opinion formed by now. I’ll always err on the side of aggression. Maybe that’s partly a hangover from the D’No/Golden scheme, but it’s also true as a stand-alone statement. I like havoc, even if it means an occasional big play given up.

As far as the old 4-3 base you mentioned, we don’t have the horses to just line up and beat you. Not to mention, offensive football has advanced light years since we ran that style of defense.

To me, it comes down to a lack of personnel. I don’t really need to pick on any one defender because none of them have really shown anything this year. No one stands out. If it’s the same defense, as you suggest, then where are the Willis/Quan/JJ/MJ type guys, who should presumably be plug and play if it’s a gimmicky system? We just don’t have the guys this year. At least not yet, being that we are young and these guys are gonna take time to develop.

This is my no means an endorsement for Baker. The jury is still out. It’s only been 2 games so I’m not writing him off, but 4th and 17 was bad. But before I’d chastise Manny for trying to keep continuity in the defense, I’d rather see him take the playcalling reigns back over.

Advertisement
Back