Blake Baker

Man obviously some of y’all don’t know how football works and I can tell y’all have never played football . Our defense was on the field for the majority of the year in every game! And still continued to hold teams. As a defense it’s tough to hold a team when they are constantly getting the ball in good field position ! F*ck what y’all talking bout our defense balled out . If they had an actual offense behind them top 10 team no doubt. A lot of games we got beat in this year was low scoring games the OFFENSE couldn’t put up 21 points that’s sad. Stop talking bout the defense . Ya they can get better there’s ALWAYS room for improvement but don’t down what they accomplished. They doing there dam job #GoCanes

Advertisement
Not my favorite hire. His second DC job replacing Manny. I doubt he will do anything but clone Manny. I would like someone to build and improve what Manny left. Please don’t bother with how great Manny’s defense was last year. We went 7-6 and loss to teams that should hav never scored a point. It was the best part of a losing team, that’s it. This guy need to improve it not sit on it.
F8D129B6-34E8-405E-915B-1C0C2FF989C6.gif

Lol at the porsters here who actually think our defense was one of the 5 best in the country. Some of you are straight retarded. Clemson would have dropped 75 pts on them if we hadnt bled out versus the JV coastal squads.

I don't think top 5. HOWEVER, pair Miami's D with Bama/Clemson/UGA O, and they would have likely had top 10 metrics in every single category.

People so often fail to realize how success and failures on the O have a huge impact on the D aNd vice versa.

Any of the three's D above, if paired with Miami's O, wouldn't have performed nearly as well as they did metrics-wise.

Man obviously some of y’all don’t know how football works and I can tell y’all have never played football . Our defense was on the field for the majority of the year in every game! And still continued to hold teams. As a defense it’s tough to hold a team when they are constantly getting the ball in good field position ! F*ck what y’all talking bout our defense balled out . If they had an actual offense behind them top 10 team no doubt. A lot of games we got beat in this year was low scoring games the OFFENSE couldn’t put up 21 points that’s sad. Stop talking bout the defense . Ya they can get better there’s ALWAYS room for improvement but don’t down what they accomplished. They doing there dam job #GoCanes

Surprising number of people fail to grasp this.

Lol at the porsters here who actually think our defense was one of the 5 best in the country. Some of you are straight retarded. Clemson would have dropped 75 pts on them if we hadnt bled out versus the JV coastal squads.
Clemson could have dropped 70 on Bama had they kept pushing. Does that mean Bama defense is trash ?

Advertisement
I don't think top 5. HOWEVER, pair Miami's D with Bama/Clemson/UGA O, and they would have likely had top 10 metrics in every single category.

People so often fail to realize how success and failures on the O have a huge impact on the D aNd vice versa.

Any of the three's D above, if paired with Miami's O, wouldn't have performed nearly as well as they did metrics-wise.
👏🏻

Lol at people being ****ed that we gave up points or saying that Clemson would dominate our defense. No sh*t, it's the modern day game...you give up points.

Clemson has a historic offense. Look at what they did to Bama. No one is claiming that Saban is a terrible defensive minded coach though. At the end of the day though I think Manny's defense is perfectly suited for this type of game. Put pressure on the QB, create negative plays, and force takeaways. You'll still give up points but hopefully you create enough chances for your offense to put more points on the board than the other team.

Clemson seems to disagree. They were a lot more defense than Bama could handle. We improved the never get off filed on third down problem but gave up all those turnovers. We had no or little offense for two years, the turnovers were the difference in 2017. That is the improvement we need. Stop the other team AND take the ball away. If Manny is what what his fans claim, he is thinking the same way: how can we improve the defense? The Baker hire is strong indicator he might not be thinking that way. I love what he did with the OC hire. Would have liked a similar type move for DC.

For someone with over 14k in posts, you really have a limited knowledge of football.

If you didn't like the DC hire, just say that, the examples were lame and showed you don't understand American football. Maybe you're s soccer guy.

Advertisement

it's hard to truly know, but i understand the skepticism. we didnt play many offensive fire-powers. at the same time, I look forward to seeing how they perform with a much improved offense taking some pressure off of them

Clemson seems to disagree. They were a lot more defense than Bama could handle. We improved the never get off filed on third down problem but gave up all those turnovers. We had no or little offense for two years, the turnovers were the difference in 2017. That is the improvement we need. Stop the other team AND take the ball away. If Manny is what what his fans claim, he is thinking the same way: how can we improve the defense? The Baker hire is strong indicator he might not be thinking that way. I love what he did with the OC hire. Would have liked a similar type move for DC.

what was our 3rd down percentage this year?

Not my favorite hire. His second DC job replacing Manny. I doubt he will do anything but clone Manny. I would like someone to build and improve what Manny left. Please don’t bother with how great Manny’s defense was last year. We went 7-6 and loss to teams that should hav never scored a point. It was the best part of a losing team, that’s it. This guy need to improve it not sit on it.

You also have to take into account how many times the offense and special teams put the defense in a bad position. I'm good with keeping the same philosophy on defense.

Advertisement
Holy Shiite! The offense was ranked 104 or something and we had a minimum top 5 Defense.

That’s not even getting into the 25 yard shanked punts. Does anyone have any info on where our defenses average field position started and how that ranked vs other top defensive teams? I tried to look it up but didn’t find too much information.

We aloud 19.5 points per game which would be 18th in the country Clemson was 1st(13.1). But field position and offensive inefficientcy was a huge reason this number was so much worse then most of our other defensive stats.

Respectfully disagree. While Miami could have won most of the 6 Ls from last season, the rules of the game so heavily favor Os and point scoring that even the Citadel scored on Alabama (10th string players or not).

Its one of the reasons why Richt's leadership, or lack thereof, was so maddening. Miami should have scored far more points just based on rules stacked towards the offense.

Was the D perfect? Hardly. But several losses really can't be pinned on them.

I'm of the opinion that a better offense would have made the defense look even better last year, if we'd had an offense that didn't constantly put the defense in bad spots.

The main problem I had with Manny's defense last year was its propensity to step on the field in the 1st quarter and appear all confused as **** while teams marched straight down the field for TDs.

Advertisement

As long as we not cloning richt and the special teams we should be fine

I'm of the opinion that a better offense would have made the defense look even better last year, if we'd had an offense that didn't constantly put the defense in bad spots.

The main problem I had with Manny's defense last year was its propensity to step on the field in the 1st quarter and appear all confused as **** while teams marched straight down the field for TDs.

100% agree. The 1Q letdowns by the D were definitely disappointing.

Look no further than Wisconsin's opening drive.

Agreed. Probably a top 15 D...also, special teams stunk! Putting the D in bad spots often at times. Improve the O to a respectable level and there’s no reason why the Canes can’t win 10-11 games and play for the ACCCG in 2019...

It was without a doubt top 10

Advertisement
Back