Blake Baker

Advertisement
Clemson seems to disagree. They were a lot more defense than Bama could handle. We improved the never get off filed on third down problem but gave up all those turnovers. We had no or little offense for two years, the turnovers were the difference in 2017. That is the improvement we need. Stop the other team AND take the ball away. If Manny is what what his fans claim, he is thinking the same way: how can we improve the defense? The Baker hire is strong indicator he might not be thinking that way. I love what he did with the OC hire. Would have liked a similar type move for DC.

Actually what you said about 2017 is another reason why baker was brought in, his defenses have been real solid at producing turnovers, if that actually improves here, we will consistently be in teams heads as we already are with the turnover chain. But actually the difference between this year and last year was field position!

Lol at the porsters here who actually think our defense was one of the 5 best in the country. Some of you are straight retarded. Clemson would have dropped 75 pts on them if we hadnt bled out versus the JV coastal squads.
Post less. Learn more.

Advertisement
The number of offensive turnovers, 3 & outs and shanked punts was crazy last year. Several games where teams were starting multiple drives inside our 50. We were elite at getting tackles for loss, as well as 3rd down percentage.

Our Red zone scoring D wasn’t as good last year as the year before I think.

I listened to the majority of it. Lot's of talk of his excitement being at Miami, his experiences so far, being in a recruiting hot bed, etc. I think the most important thing he mentioned was how him and Diaz's defense main goals are getting tackle for losses, sacks, and turnovers. Explained how in today's game the only way to survive is getting them behind the sticks. He then went on to say although they both want to do the same thing, their defenses have differences and he will take a combination of what his defense does and what Manny has done.

I really liked what he had to say. Seems like another guy who is young, aggressive, and always looking to improve and get better.

I don't think he's necessarily a Diaz clone, but more someone who has the same mindset about how a defense should look. We know what Diaz wants: An aggressive and violent defense AND offense. The key is to hire the right guys to carry that out. I'm sure Baker will do a lot of things similar to Diaz, but I don't see Diaz micromanaging him and how he coaches.

Advertisement
Holy Shiite! The offense was ranked 104 or something and we had a minimum top 5 Defense.

Crap, I had not noticed that. Thanks. That completely changes my view. Manny is god and his defense was light years better than all those hala$$ ones we had back in the glory days. What was I thinking that
Actually what you said about 2017 is another reason why baker was brought in, his defenses have been real solid at producing turnovers, if that actually improves here, we will consistently be in teams heads as we already are with the turnover chain. But actually the difference between this year and last year was field position!

Let me ask you, do you think Baker is an upgrade over Manny at DC, even exchange or drop in quality?

I listened to the majority of it. Lot's of talk of his excitement being at Miami, his experiences so far, being in a recruiting hot bed, etc. I think the most important thing he mentioned was how him and Diaz's defense main goals are getting tackle for losses, sacks, and turnovers. Explained how in today's game the only way to survive is getting them behind the sticks. He then went on to say although they both want to do the same thing, their defenses have differences and he will take a combination of what his defense does and what Manny has done.

I really liked what he had to say. Seems like another guy who is young, aggressive, and always looking to improve and get better.

Well, at least he is aware that if you don't do that at a high level it's going to be hard to win games with the rules the way they are favoring offenses and high scoring. Makes me even more mad at Richt for not taking advantage of the way things are set up to favor the offense.

Not my favorite hire. His second DC job replacing Manny. I doubt he will do anything but clone Manny. I would like someone to build and improve what Manny left. Please don’t bother with how great Manny’s defense was last year. We went 7-6 and loss to teams that should hav never scored a point. It was the best part of a losing team, that’s it. This guy need to improve it not sit on it.
Why would you assume he ISN'T going to improve the defense. Like he is some mindless puppet of Manny....dude wants to prove himself and not ride on the back of someone else....

Lol at the porsters here who actually think our defense was one of the 5 best in the country. Some of you are straight retarded. Clemson would have dropped 75 pts on them if we hadnt bled out versus the JV coastal squads.
You do know 4 of those “JV Coastal Squads” beat Miami.

Advertisement

Full ****** achieved

Not my favorite hire. His second DC job replacing Manny. I doubt he will do anything but clone Manny. I would like someone to build and improve what Manny left. Please don’t bother with how great Manny’s defense was last year. We went 7-6 and loss to teams that should hav never scored a point. It was the best part of a losing team, that’s it. This guy need to improve it not sit on it.

Dont you know it was all the O fault for the points scored(sarcasm by the way)

Clemson seems to disagree. They were a lot more defense than Bama could handle. We improved the never get off filed on third down problem but gave up all those turnovers. We had no or little offense for two years, the turnovers were the difference in 2017. That is the improvement we need. Stop the other team AND take the ball away. If Manny is what what his fans claim, he is thinking the same way: how can we improve the defense? The Baker hire is strong indicator he might not be thinking that way. I love what he did with the OC hire. Would have liked a similar type move for DC.

Lol who would you have recommended?

Advertisement

We were 4th in Total Defense and 1st in Pass Defense while also being 3rd in Yards Per Play Defense.

That is elite defense no matter what anyone says...

I see the point you are trying to make but saying Clemson would have dropped 75 and using them as your base is equally "straight retarded" Clemson finished with what? A top 3 offense last year? and dropped 40+ on Bama? Just curious who would your top 5 defenses be because I feel like bama would have likely been in there....

Why would you assume he ISN'T going to improve the defense. Like he is some mindless puppet of Manny....dude wants to prove himself and not ride on the back of someone else....

He took mannys place at Louisiana Tech and was still there. Nothing say he will. I am always suspicious friendly hires. He might be a young Bill Ansparger for all I know. I’m just not dreamy eye over the hire. But I wasn’t in love with Manny’s hire either. I never trust noles or gators at Miami. Heck, from day one I said Mark needed to get the nole feathers off of himself and become a Cane again. He never did.

We were 4th in Total Defense and 1st in Pass Defense while also being 3rd in Yards Per Play Defense.

That is elite defense no matter what anyone says...

How many points would Bama or Clemson hang on it? This is Miami and those are the targets. Any shutouts last year? Should the Duke game at least have been 0-0?

Advertisement
Back