2010 - 32nd

Texas (‘11-‘13)
2011 - 7th
2012 - 40th
2013 - 23rd

LA Tech (2014)
2013 (year prior to Manny being DC) - 109th
2014 - 35th

All I am saying, a guy to have improved a defense from the 100s to the top 50 has my respect. Def S&P+ (in an oversimplify way) is an advanced statistical rankings that incorporates a bunch of nerdy stats and looks at them all combined. Created by Bill Connelly who has done phenomenal work

And at miami?

Advertisement
If you want the likes of Fedora, Seider, and other high priced offensive position coaches / coordinator...you need to accept that the budget for DC is going to be cut somewhere.

Its Diaz's defense. He is going to want a guy that knows his defense and can essentially be a surrogate. If you were expecting a big splash, you got your expectations up for no reason.
This ^

It's the perfect hire for DC. A guy that's familiar with Diaz and his system, and we can get him on the cheap.

Offensive side of the ball is where we spend the $$$

Run defense was good regularly but it’s hard to be on the field as much as our offense put them on it and continue to be physical. Texas ran all over Georgia for the same reason.

Excuses. If you want to truly be consider an elite defense you shut down a team as long and as often as you have to whether the offense helps or not.

I get your point.

But Manny is a defensive coach. He’s a HC because of the success of the defense he wants to run.

It only makes sense that he would want someone to run his defense as close to the way that he would run it. He’s not looking to re-invent the D.

So, you hire guys who know your D. And who you trust to run the D the way you like.

If it doesn’t work, maybe you find someone else to bring something new. But you don’t start your tenure by scrapping what made you successful.

And if you don’t think Saban, Smart, Pruitt, Muschamp, Stoops (UK), and every other DC that became a HC didn’t/don’t do hand holding, I don’t know what to tell you ...
Big difference in hiring someone with such little and unnoteworthy experience and having to hand hold vs hiring a DC with notable experience and just making suggestions or slight tweaks along the edges. I get Manny wants his defense or something very similar run. But he is also a first time HC that is going to have a lot of learning on the fly. So I would hope he would choose someone with a little more experience so that's one less headache he would have to deal with.

Advertisement
And at miami?

So the year prior to Manny Diaz being the DC, Miami was ranked 52nd in Def S&P+

Manny Diaz at Miami according to Def S&P+
2016 - 13th
2017 - 22nd
2018 - 11th

You can find S&P+, Off S&P+, and Def S&P+ here

And then Bill Connelly explains what S&P+ is with a bunch of fancy words here

And if you want to go down a rabbit hole, here is a glossary explaining each fancy, nerd stat he computes and keeps track of each year

And if you want to hear Manny Diaz talk to Bill Connelly (creator of S&P+) back in 2017, you can find that here

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Mood

dvddance.gif

If you want the likes of Fedora, Seider, and other high priced offensive position coaches / coordinator...you need to accept that the budget for DC is going to be cut somewhere.

Its Diaz's defense. He is going to want a guy that knows his defense and can essentially be a surrogate. If you were expecting a big splash, you got your expectations up for no reason.
Def makes sense is thats the case

Advertisement
Back