Blake Baker

Guess I’m the o my one questioning ofntrue.
chill you will be bombarded by people that think its ok

Yep you will! Man I thought I was losing my mind how everyone is ok with an unknown guy from a bad conference to be our DC. But wait he knows Manny so we’re ok. Lol

Advertisement
What was Michigan's defense? They were ranked higher than ours and they played a tougher schedule. Just curious.

the only thing that made their schedule tougher than ours was playing notre dame (with wimbush at qb) and ohio state in the regular season, and both of those were losses. they did shut down penn state, but mcsorley was playing through an injury and had to come out of the game. michigan state (only broke 30 points against 1 p5 opponent all year), maryland, nebraska, and rutgers were horrendous this year, wisconsin was still playing hornibrook at qb.

brown also didn't have to deal with a horrible offense and an even worse punting situation giving opposing offenses short fields all year.

i don't think he's a bad coach, but he has some big issues to work out against good teams with spread offenses. seriously, check out what michigan fans think of him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think a lot of you want a more experienced name for his name alone.

This is Manny's D so he will not hire a DC that wants 100% control like our OC will have.
I see the point brought up that he's in a weak conference. At the same time, people wanted a coach from Troy and an OC that was fired at an ACC school and was good at Southern Miss.

Manny is very smart. He knows this guy and if he trusts him to call the defense, I feel like we should look at the good things he did with LA tech and be ok with it. The trend is for young coaching minds. It's not like he's letting Patke call plays.

How dare you disrespect Dan Sileo Jr

dsj.jpg

Manny says I'm welcome back on the boards now.

Advertisement
Ummmm...I'm a bit concerned by this.

So for reference, Manny Diaz’s defenses ranked by Def S&P+

Middle Tennesse (‘06-‘09)
2006 - 66th
2007 - 85th
2008 - 92nd
2009 - 49th

Miss State (‘10)
2009 (year prior to Manny being the DC) - 28th
2010 - 32nd

Texas (‘11-‘13)
2011 - 7th
2012 - 40th
2013 - 23rd

LA Tech (2014)
2013 (year prior to Manny being DC) - 109th
2014 - 35th

All I am saying, a guy to have improved a defense from the 100s to the top 50 has my respect. Def S&P+ (in an oversimplify way) is an advanced statistical rankings that incorporates a bunch of nerdy stats and looks at them all combined. Created by Bill Connelly who has done phenomenal work

Lets hope not. The run defense was shaky vs physical teams.

I've been watching some LA Tech and I sure hope this guy teaches tackling.

Run defense was good regularly but it’s hard to be on the field as much as our offense put them on it and continue to be physical. Texas ran all over Georgia for the same reason.

Advertisement
Wait, is your source for this information that douche Caneshades that used to make those horrible videos?

Buddy of mine played at Louisiana Tech.

Said Baker is a stud and that he and Manny rejuvenated that program. Loves the way this guy developed players on D and says the proof is in the pudding.

Also said that he and Hester are super close and that it wouldn’t surprise anyone if they moved as a package deal. Hester is apparently beloved by the players...kind of weird and unorthodox but gets amazing results. My buddy says that he’s the only S&C guy he’s ever been around that got his kids to improve squat and bench numbers in-season.

Advertisement
If you want the likes of Fedora, Seider, and other high priced offensive position coaches / coordinator...you need to accept that the budget for DC is going to be cut somewhere.

Its Diaz's defense. He is going to want a guy that knows his defense and can essentially be a surrogate. If you were expecting a big splash, you got your expectations up for no reason.

Advertisement
Back