Blake Baker receives contract extension at Missouri

If manny kept the job at temple and hired baker, patke,jess simpson, and banda he would have been one of the hottest names for HC after a couple years.

And probably would have been a candidate for us lol

Unlikely scenario. Temple wouldn't have forked up enough cash (I assume) to hire Baker from LTech as a lateral move, and I thought Banda was slated to take over as our DC when Manny left.

Advertisement
Unlikely scenario. Temple wouldn't have forked up enough cash (I assume) to hire Baker from LTech as a lateral move, and I thought Banda was slated to take over as our DC when Manny left.
Might be right. I was basically saying manny getting the job here kinda rushed his process of growing to be a hc. And tbh, he had one of our better years then landed a really good class. Like some of our best players now are manny recruit

Even tho he was probably cooked mid season 2021, the team never quit even with having a qb change in season. 4th and 14 away from going 8-4 after the good 2020 year. He wasn’t ready and mismanaged alot but he showed progressed with his hires and how we played

I thought the biggest issue with the D by the end was that Manny could not get recruits at CB and particularly LB. The CB issue was an ongoing one (all of the Rumph drama). For the LBs he inherited quality from the previous staff when he came in as the D coordinator and then for whatever reason we struggled to bring in LBs during his time as DC and HC which seemed to be the biggest problem we had with the D.

I thought the biggest issue with the D by the end was that Manny could not get recruits at CB and particularly LB. The CB issue was an ongoing one (all of the Rumph drama). For the LBs he inherited quality from the previous staff when he came in as the D coordinator and then for whatever reason we struggled to bring in LBs during his time as DC and HC which seemed to be the biggest problem we had with the D.
Manny is a good DC @ Penn state he seems elite bc he doesn’t have to recruit. James Franklin will give him studs. These plyers also make his scheme look great when he was here at the end with little talent the D was ***

Advertisement

I am not surprised that Baker is the number 1 target. He fielded an elite and very prepared SEC defense with two Canes rejects, Marcus Clarke and Realus Geogre, performiNG as high level SEC starters. The improvement of Missouri’s defense under his watch is very very clear. Plus, he has Louisiana ties. That tells me all I need to know.

As with any coordinator, the HC always matters. The HC has to give the DC what he needs to be successful, and I am not sure that Manny gave him that. Plus, many good coaches have a stain on their record before they find success. There is no doubt that he is a good defensive coach, and he has proven it the last two years against high-level SEC competition.

I wish him welll, unless he plays against the Canes or recruits against the Canes.

I am not surprised that Baker is the number 1 target. He fielded an elite and very prepared SEC defense with two Canes rejects, Marcus Clarke and Realus Geogre, performiNG as high level SEC starters. The improvement of Missouri’s defense under his watch is very very clear. Plus, he has Louisiana ties. That tells me all I need to know.

As with any coordinator, the HC always matters. The HC has to give the DC what he needs to be successful, and I am not sure that Manny gave him that. Plus, many good coaches have a stain on their record before they find success. There is no doubt that he is a good defensive coach, and he has proven it the last two years against high-level SEC competition.

I wish him welll, unless he plays against the Canes or recruits against the Canes.
I liked Marcus Clarke. Forgot he left. **** could we have used him.

I would think baker is their #1 target. Has Louisiana ties and helped turn Mizzou around.

Not sure if it was him or manny that sucked so bad when he was here. Talent was lacking and all they did was blitz.

It’s obvious that it was Manny. Dude hired too many yes men (Banda, Patke) or guys with not enough experience at the time (Simpson, Rumph)

Advertisement
Crazy how ready to be rid of him we were to then see him perform so well at an under talented SEC team and then see Manny do well at Pedo. Wonder what the problem was

Crazy how ready to be rid of him we were to then see him perform so well at an under talented SEC team and then see Manny do well at Pedo. Wonder what the problem was

You guys may not want to go eat this but the problem is and has always been the players at UM....until they start giving a **** about UM football program and stop living off of the past we will always underachieve. Culture is killing this program.

they got away from the orange bowl curse.. Good for them..

Advertisement
They recruited very poorly.
Manny did well when Richt recruited well. Baker never did anything particularly well here cause the talent was kaka.
Yea Manny was a terrible recruiter for his scheme.. At Penn St. they recruit elite athletes with crazy trait numbers, if he doesnt have to worry about that then it becomes a good marriage. I wonder if he has grown from his first HC gig that we gave him learning on the job.. smfh

Yea Manny was a terrible recruiter for his scheme.. At Penn St. they recruit elite athletes with crazy trait numbers, if he doesnt have to worry about that then it becomes a good marriage. I wonder if he has grown from his first HC gig that we gave him learning on the job.. smfh
Probably not. I mean, he's a smooth talker, I don't know if that jives with kids.
At Duke, he'll likely be a 5-7 to 7-5 type guy, rely on the transfer portal and connection in SFL, but he's gonna have to have some strong personalities on his staff, which, probably not since Patke is already hired and i don't think he's a good recruiter either, with limited connections.

Advertisement

The University of Missouri has approved a contract extension for Mizzou football defensive coordinator Blake Baker through the 2025 season, which includes an increase in his annual salary, Head Coach Eliah Drinkwitz announced Thursday.

"We're really excited about not only Blake but the rest of our defensive staff," Drinkwitz said. "He has done a really good job utilizing our scheme and playing well together and making some great calls at the right times. I appreciate our administration and our athletic department and Board of Curators for investing in our program and we are looking forward to Coach Baker being our defensive coordinator for a long time."

Baker, in his first year at Mizzou, had led a defense which ranks in the top half of the Southeastern Conference. The Tigers are allowing just 310.6 yards per game, the 19th-best mark nationally – a marked improvement from the 2021 team which allowed 434.7 yards per game, ranking 106th in FBS. The 87-place improvement ranks second nationally, trailing only Virginia (+90) which ranked 121st in 2021 and has moved to 31st in 2022.

I have sudden indigestion. Brian Kelly trying to **** us back for that 2017 stomping?

Probably not. I mean, he's a smooth talker, I don't know if that jives with kids.
At Duke, he'll likely be a 5-7 to 7-5 type guy, rely on the transfer portal and connection in SFL, but he's gonna have to have some strong personalities on his staff, which, probably not since Patke is already hired and i don't think he's a good recruiter either, with limited connections.
Patke’s connections aren’t limited.. he’s got all of southeast Texas under his belt.. he’s well connected and can walk into any Houston school and call someone up for love. He’s also a strong personality I don’t know where that narrative comes from

It’s obvious that it was Manny. Dude hired too many yes men (Banda, Patke) or guys with not enough experience at the time (Simpson, Rumph)
Simpson (co-Defensive coordinator at Duke)
Patke (after some success as DC and a bowl win, left Texas St to become new DC at Duke)
Banda (success as Associate HC and DC at Utah St. Has a Mountain West championship and bowl win)
Manny (great stint at PSU as DC and now HC at Duke)

Even the OC and DC from last season (Gattis and Steel) both coached teams (Maryland and Alabama) that won more games (8, 11) than the Canes this season And both might likely beat the Canes in a head-to-head match up If they had played this season.

We will see how well Mario and this current staff does. I am trying to remain optimistic. Hopefully, the current Canes coaches will outperform former staffs now that they have more talent on the roster. Hopefully, the coaches will develop these players and put them in a position to succeed. Hopefully, the players will put in the work and play fo each other. But so far, the results on the field have been underwhelming.

Advertisement
Back