Blake Baker Interviewed With LSU

pray chicago cubs GIF by MLB
Let’s hope we don’t end up like this guy....

C9DC3C3F-B6D1-412B-B894-E0A35BE1E07C.jpeg

Advertisement
I don’t see 700 k, it’s more in the 550-650 range at the highest , which isn’t crazy. I’m sure LSU gets close to that , maybe in the 500’s. He’s in no place to be demanding or worrying about losing some thousands.
He made 200k as DC at LaTech, so around 500-600k at Miami sounds about right.

Imma tell you like this...With the Manny hate...I’m not here for it anymore, here’s why...Don’t look at his personality..He doesn’t have a growlly Cajun, eat lighting and shid thunder kinda personality. He grew up a privileged kid in Miami more or less. Look at what he does...He saw the offense needed an overhaul, and fired them all. He thought Enos would do well be brought him in. He didn’t, got him out quick. Brought in 3 former OC’s and one of the best QB’s we’ve had in a while. With the Baker situation, he didn’t “fire” him because they would owe so he hires and fires the staff around him and takes away his power to make him uncomfortable, why? So he could quit. What what you want about the guy, but that is one slick puppy. He’s got teeth, just not the kind we’re use to seeing. He has a deceptively quiet mean streak to his style. Like a Ninja Assassin kinda jazz. All he’s done since he’s got here is make improvements little by little. I’m actually more so confident in him now than I was when he first got the job. Looking at his work, he consistently improves what he has to with the tools he has. It’s how you build something from the ground up. With hi either you produce or your gone. He’s preeeeetty savy. Blaker is done.

Advertisement
Imma tell you like this...With the Manny hate...I’m not here for it anymore, here’s why...Don’t look at his personality..He doesn’t have a growlly Cajun, eat lighting and shid thunder kinda personality. He grew up a privileged kid in Miami more or less. Look at what he does...He saw the offense needed an overhaul, and fired them all. He thought Enos would do well be brought him in. He didn’t, got him out quick. Brought in 3 former OC’s and one of the best QB’s we’ve had in a while. With the Baker situation, he didn’t “fire” him because they would owe so he hires and fires the staff around him and takes away his power to make him uncomfortable, why? So he could quit. What what you want about the guy, but that is one slick puppy. He’s got teeth, just not the kind we’re use to seeing. He has a deceptively quiet mean streak to his style. Like a Ninja Assassin kinda jazz. All he’s done since he’s got here is make improvements little by little. I’m actually more so confident in him now than I was when he first got the job. Looking at his work, he consistently improves what he has to with the tools he has. It’s how you build something from the ground up. With hi either you produce or your gone. He’s preeeeetty savy. Blaker is done.
It would be nice if he had his team ready to play from the opening kickoff each week, but maybe I'm asking too much.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the LSU situation. Not sure there is a real strong vibe on Baker there right now. Looks like Ed O is continuing to look around for people. Seems like TWill has a lot of support, at least from the fan base. Baker's salary is a hurdle, to say the least. He will be taking a nice reduction if they offer him the job.

Gotta admit, Manny's had 2 hella off seasons. If he can just translate that into on the field results, he can change a lot of minds.

Advertisement
Keeping my fingers crossed on the LSU situation. Not sure there is a real strong vibe on Baker there right now. Looks like Ed O is continuing to look around for people. Seems like TWill has a lot of support, at least from the fan base. Baker's salary is a hurdle, to say the least. He will be taking a nice reduction if they offer him the job.
The fan base doesn’t make the decision though. If that were the case, Manny and Baker would be fired. For me, it’s telling that they don’t have an interview lined up with TWill or any other candidates, at least that their guys can report. Feels like it’s Baker’s to blow from that perspective. They keep mentioning his contract without also mentioning that he’s entering the last year of the deal at Miami and he’s already been neutered as a playcaller.

Last edited:
That’s my whole point, the whole not firing them thing is unnecessary, if LSU doesn’t pick him up just cut the cord, we shouldn’t have to wait until another team signs him before we can move on, especially when there are way better options on the market right now.

T-Will would blaze the trail up at Miami on this staff, just stop waiting around protecting Bake’s feelings & go get him, literally every other program is making new coaching moves daily, Miami shouldn’t be any different.

The goal should always be to improve the team at all costs, not break your back protecting a grown man’s feelings who’s a professional. The coaching business is just that, a business, Bake doesn’t need a special set of stipulations before he can be hired or fired, not to mention time’s of the essence, it’s smart to make the move ASAP so we don’t fck around & miss out on a dude like T-Will, because trust me, he has plenty of options as well, he won’t be on the market for too long.

All true but this is also why a little patience is warranted. Unless the school negotiates a buyout or it was stated in the contract , Miami owes Baker his remaining salary whether he's fired or not. Let's say he signed a 3 yr deal, at 700k per year. Most contracts contain an offset clause that says the school owes the difference between salaries for comparable jobs and that the employee has to make a good faith effort to find a new job. So if Diaz fired Baker immediately after the season while he was still the playcalling DC, he is owed 700k for the one year remaining on his deal. If he went to UCF or SMU to be the playcalling DC for 400k, Miami likely owes him 300k as the offset. Now say he can't get another offer anywhere to be a playcalling DC- he's not obligated to take a non comparable job like non playcalling LB coach. In that case he could chill at home at collect a paycheck, or go to Bama or Texas as an analyst for 50k and Miami still owes him the full 700k.

So now let's say instead of firing him while he's the playcalling DC, Miami demotes him to non play calling DC/LB coach. That's now establishes what the comparable job is. If he leaves for a LB coach job at LSU or Texas for 400k, the school can argue that is the FMV for a LB coach (he's not a playcalling DC anymore) so they don't owe him the 300k offset. So why can't he just chill at home like in the earlier scenario? Because it's like having to qualify for unemployment insurance - he has to show that hes attempted to find comparable work. If he tries to say that no school is interested in him as a LB coach, Miami could call him on it and tell him to prove that he's tried to get a LB coach gig (unsuccessful in interviews, etc) or they don't have to pay the offset. He'd have a more difficult time proving that no D1 school in the country would has interest in him a LB coach.

So I'm sure folks will ask- can't Miami demote him to LB coach, then fire him and say they only owe him the offset as a LB coach? No. The school can't do that because it would be a clear example of the school acting in bad faith and he'd almost certainly win a lawsuit plus damages (and it wouldn't look good for the schools reputation).

Last edited:
The offseason Koolaid is da **** of dreams.

I don’t think baker would fly to Baton Rouge for an interview if he wasn’t willing to accept the job, if offered. You have to imagine he knows the general salary for the position before flying up there.

Advertisement
Poor dude who happened to be one of about 50 people reaching for that ball. Not to mention the Cubs shortstop blowing a gift wrapped double play ball later that would have gotten them out of the inning.

Also, come on LSU, take Baker off our hands.
Yeah it was brutal for that dude, same people that were reaching for that ball were then dousing him with beers. Dude was a diehard Cubs fan too. I still feel bad for him

Advertisement
This year should bring resolution one way or the other. Not at all sold on Manny or saying he is our savior but he has earned more time and at least some level of support. I don't care if there is a backstory to how he got Lashlee as his third choice, coulda had so and so, Enos... yada yada. Whatever, there is always a backstory. Bottom line is the end result and are you moving the program forward. Thats kind of hard to debate if you just plug in the facts and take out opinion.

Record:
1st year record 6-7
2nd year record 8-3 (improved)

Staff:
1st year - 3rd year
HC Diaz - Diaz (same)
OC Enos - Lashlee (improved)
OL Barry - Justice (improved)
RB Hickson - Hickson (same)
WR Stubblefield - Likens (improved)
TE Field - Field (same)

DC Baker - Diaz (improved)
DL Strout - Simpson (improved)
LB Baker plus playcall duties - Baker (Still bad but hopefully better with more focus on LB)
CB Rumph - DVD/TRob (improved)
S Banda - TRob (improved)

Special Teams
Patke - Patke (same)

Recruiting (transfers not included in ranking)
2019 - 27
2020 - 16 (improved)
2021 - 13 (improved)

Anyways, very long story short in regards to my above post - if the school outright fired Baker after the season and he ended up taking an analyst job and costing Miami 700K, people would crush the school for egregious fiscal mismanagement. That's like flushing 700k down the toilet. If they demote him instead and he decides to go be a LB coach somewhere else, at worst it costs Miami the offset and possibly doesn't cost them them anything if they can establish that he got FMV for a position coach. More likely they reach a settlement so instead of owning him 400K, they split the difference and Miami owes him 200k, saving 200k.

Exactly. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if with regards to LSU, Baker's name starts to go cold and T-Will's name actually heats up. THis trying to find a landing spot for your friend stuff is some mf'in bs.

You spelled "trying to find a spot for your DC to avoid paying out half a million dollars+ in a year where you drew 6000 fans per game and just brought on two other highly paid assistants" wrong.

But I see you.:)

Last edited:
Update form LSU 247:

*** We mentioned Miami's Blake Baker's name as a potential linebacker target, as well as former Auburn alum Travis Williams, who was not retained by the new Auburn staff. Baker's salary could be a road bump for him given it would take going from Miami's defensive coordinator by title to a linebackers coach at LSU. Would the one-time Louisiana Tech defensive coordinator want to take a pay cut if he was offered a spot in Baton Rouge? As for Williams, sources tell the Geaux247 staff that he's a name on the list that many are high on. We have not confirmed an interview for Williams to this point. We have not heard Trev Faulk's name mentioned as a potential candidate, so passing that along for those who inquired.
I say we start a GoFundHim account to make up for the shortfall.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back