Blake Baker Interviewed With LSU

If he is getting paid 700k at Miami to be a demoted LB coach, then goes to LSU for 300k, my guess is that he'd get a negotiated settlement for somewhere in between. Assuming his contract includes offset language, if he tries to argue he's owed the full difference (400k), the school could say he's getting the fair market value for a LB coach and they don't owe him the difference. Since he wasn't fired, he can choose to stay at Miami which would be paying him far more than FMV for a LB coach. He's not being forced to leave so taking a lower paying job elsewhere is a voluntary decision. It's obviously beneficial for him to leave though (not a good look from a career or recruiting perspective to get demoted and stay on staff), so if he chooses to take a lower paying position coach gig at another school, Miami will probably do him a solid and pay him half of what he's owed rather than going to court with yet another coach who claims he is getting stiffed.

It's a win-win; instead of costing the school 700k for firing him outright, it costs us 200k; instead of him being unemployed he gets to go back to Louisiana and rehab his career while Miami foots a portion of the bill.

He’s incompetent and deserves to be fired. He’s going to take Miami’s money until he can’t anymore.

Advertisement
Per the LSU 247 board, he is flying in today and interviewing tomorrow. Not sure why they are not interviewing the same day.

But the highlight is the hot takes by their posters regarding Baker. i.e. He is a great linebacker coach and recruiter, Miami fans are crazy his defense was great the first year but it sucked this year because we lost a ton of starters on defense. Like our 3 Lbs, 2 deep at DE, our best corner in Bandy and a starter at DT in Bethel. So what did we expect to happen.

The posts are just great.
They must not know who 53, 44, and to a lesser extent, 5 are. That’s why are defense was booty cheeks. But hey, all is fare in love and war. Get that man some Purple and Gold boots and let him set it out to Baton Rouge @Rellyrell

DCs at Miami have become HCs in the NFL. Same for OCs. LSU doesn’t have better parlay potential when Miami is beastly and on top of its game. And Baker interviewed for a Step Down position. It looks like Manny Diaz is paying him until he finds a job.
The idea that there's something about Miami's program separate from who works there that makes the DC job a stepping stone is wrong, IMO.

We've had coaches move up the ladder because they came to work here under Howard, Jimmy, Dennis and Butch. The last 3 head coaches we fired couldn't get another head coaching job, and the one before that had to take some years off then go to a school that didn't even have a D1 program at the time (UTSA). The NFL isn't stupid. It doesn't hire people because of Miami. They do their homework, and it sure helps of a candidate comes from a respected coaching tree and gets good references.

If he feels this way about Baker, and seeing our LB’s last season, why does he keep him this year?
it's been mentioned this is his last year on contract so would avoid having to pay a buy out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The idea that there's something about Miami's program separate from who works there that makes the DC job a stepping stone is wrong, IMO.

We've had coaches move up the ladder because they came to work here under Howard, Jimmy, Dennis and Butch. The last 3 head coaches we fired couldn't get another head coaching job, and the one before that had to take some years off then go to a school that didn't even have a D1 program at the time (UTSA). The NFL isn't stupid. It doesn't hire people because of Miami. They do their homework, and it sure helps of a candidate comes from a respected coaching tree and gets good references.
****, we got a recent DC who could barely coach at a boys and girls club after his tenure

It's Ucf, they not gone stay top notch, but as long as coach shannon is their, his defensive guys will keep getting drafted and they'll consistently put a solid defense on the field But also just think about it this way, the team that has consistently been mentioned as the Greatest college football team of all time, who was the d-co, and in Ucf's history, the greatest team they fielded, who was the d-co.

Even in his playing days, onion was part of some of the best defenses to ever lace em up at UM, particularly that 87 team, who in my opinion was better than the 2001 team minus the all of a sudden, color blindness, but besides the trophy, that 87 squad was BONAFIDE!
I just said I thought that ship left the dock. I would have no problem if he came back...

Advertisement
C132A461-90EE-442C-8702-B0650120B1ED.png

Let that mf go, dont need to work on sh*t.

Advertisement
Like I said, I think this will get done. It’s just negotiating at this point. Landing at the program a year removed from the national title in the state where you played CFB as a position coach after receiving a demotion isn’t a horrible move. He’ll walk into a ton of talent and get praise if the LBs play well. He won’t even get credit if Miami’s defense looks good this year — he’d be foolish not to take this gig, especially when Manny was clearly looking around to replace him.

Advertisement
Back