Blake Baker Interview on WQAM w- Joe Rose

Advertisement
Diaz hasn’t fired Patke, Banda or Rumph. I highly doubt he fires Baker.

We continue to fall into the same trap.

Hire a "defensive" coach (Golden), he doesn't dare fire his defensive guys, but our offense was decent...FIRED

Hire an offensive coach (Richt), he doesn't fire his offensive guys (baby Richt), but our defense is great...GONE

Hire a defensive coach in Manny, fires his offensive guys after year 1...hires a top tier OC, but he refuses to replace his defensive guys.

I'm sensing a pattern here...

I see our D struggling a bit next year. We have major holes at CB and LB. If that's the case, and we don't win more than 8 games, Manny doesn't see year 3.

(I hope I'm completely wrong)

We continue to fall into the same trap.

Hire a "defensive" coach (Golden), he doesn't dare fire his defensive guys, but our offense was decent...FIRED

Hire an offensive coach (Richt), he doesn't fire his offensive guys (baby Richt), but our defense is great...GONE

Hire a defensive coach in Manny, fires his offensive guys after year 1...hires a top tier OC, but he refuses to replace his defensive guys.

I'm sensing a pattern here...

I see our D struggling a bit next year. We have major holes at CB and LB. If that's the case, and we don't win more than 8 games, Manny doesn't see year 3.

(I hope I'm completely wrong)

If our defense struggles, I’m going to give them **** 24 hrs a day. Our defense better be much better in 2020.

Advertisement
Why would he fire people that "owe" him and won't challenge him? Like seriously, I need the back story on Coach Kul here w/ Diaz.

Banda is a former bar tender, Patke is a former oil and energy employee, and Rumph is a former HS position coach.

Do you think those three are going to really challenge him?? Is Diaz going to learn from them?? Hate Saban all you want, but the dude surrounds himself w/ football minds...including former head coaches.

Exactly. When you are ****-bent on being the smartest one in the room it ends up making you the dumbest. Diaz hasn’t figured that out.

Advertisement

Let's hope this is true.

Would love to see Blades, Williams & Couch be the top 3.

We need him, Rumph and Banda not to out coach themselves. Carter needs to move. Bolden and GH need to start. Bolden needs to roam Free. And the 3 CBs you listed need to be the top 3.

We need him, Rumph and Banda not to out coach themselves. Carter needs to move. Bolden and GH need to start. Bolden needs to roam Free. And the 3 CBs you listed need to be the top 3.
Smith needs to be out there too

Let's hope this is true.

Would love to see Blades, Williams & Couch be the top 3.

Ferruginous-Hawk-credit-Matt-Stuber-696x464.jpg

Advertisement
Baker in particular needs to dial down on the overly exotic Blitzes, we need to play a lot more Double High on the backend & stop sending a LB on a stunt on every single down, let the LB's drop back & bring upfront pressure with 4.

Carter gives us good 3rd man rotational Safety play, he's not going to move because every other Safety behind him is a TF & despite his struggles he's experienced & was actually doing well in Spring camp before the shutdown. He'll be a Senior this year I think this will be his best season in the role of solid rotational vet.

Hall IMO is undoubtedly the FS, his season wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be, he played well a lot more than anyone will be willing to give him credit because our fans unfortunately don't really pay attention to the game in totality & only remember highlight moments. He's at his best as the Deep Centerfielder playing in the same role as Jaquan & coming into his Junior year is set to breakout just as Quan & Redwine did their Junior years.

The key will be the CB's & LB's IMO, if we can get improvement out of those two groups we'll have a stout top 10 defense. The CB's have to get better at defending the Deep ball & being more physical fighting off blocks on the outside to help set the edge.

Blades was our best pure cover corner last year, he had the best PFF grade in coverage & the least amount of passes completed on him., but he needs to improve his tackling & overall physicality. I'm the highest on Blades, I think he's going to ball this year.

Ivey was awful, he gave up the most yards, had the most targets & receptions on him, hopefully he improves a great deal but if all things are merit based he shouldn't be a starter until he earns his way back in the lineup, although I honestly doubt they replace him with Williams or Couch, even high they probably should.

Couch has great upside & potential, he should be the starting Nickel Corner, but he can play outside too, looking forward to seeing his maturation. Many say he's the best cover corner we got, I'd like to see it on the field.

The LB's have to step up their play & be more disciplined & have better gap integrity. Brooks I believe is going to ball at Wela side backer & be a high volume tackler. Huff has through the roof potential but has not had very many reps for long time now, missed Spring/Summer & was late Fall camp add & academic redshirt, so he just simply hasn't had the reps yet, plus needs to add weight, but promising upside player. McXloud hopefully has his best season being a 5th year Senior & switching to Mike Baker, we shall see.

The DL will thrive though, legit one of the best units in the ACC & all of D1 ball.

This dude doesn't know our practice field is called Greentree. GTFOH

Ha!
I was going to post this and scrolled through to see that you already posted it. 👍
Devil is in the details.
Field-Tree, Tomayto-Tomahto; by year 3 he should have the name down pat. Lol 😉

Advertisement
Baker in particular needs to dial down on the overly exotic Blitzes, we need to play a lot more Double High on the backend & stop sending a LB on a stunt on every single down, let the LB's drop back & bring upfront pressure with 4.

Carter gives us good 3rd man rotational Safety play, he's not going to move because every other Safety behind him is a TF & despite his struggles he's experienced & was actually doing well in Spring camp before the shutdown. He'll be a Senior this year I think this will be his best season in the role of solid rotational vet.

Hall IMO is undoubtedly the FS, his season wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be, he played well a lot more than anyone will be willing to give him credit because our fans unfortunately don't really pay attention to the game in totality & only remember highlight moments. He's at his best as the Deep Centerfielder playing in the same role as Jaquan & coming into his Junior year is set to breakout just as Quan & Redwine did their Junior years.

The key will be the CB's & LB's IMO, if we can get improvement out of those two groups we'll have a stout top 10 defense. The CB's have to get better at defending the Deep ball & being more physical fighting off blocks on the outside to help set the edge.

Blades was our best pure cover corner last year, he had the best PFF grade in coverage & the least amount of passes completed on him., but he needs to improve his tackling & overall physicality. I'm the highest on Blades, I think he's going to ball this year.

Ivey was awful, he gave up the most yards, had the most targets & receptions on him, hopefully he improves a great deal but if all things are merit based he shouldn't be a starter until he earns his way back in the lineup, although I honestly doubt they replace him with Williams or Couch, even high they probably should.

Couch has great upside & potential, he should be the starting Nickel Corner, but he can play outside too, looking forward to seeing his maturation. Many say he's the best cover corner we got, I'd like to see it on the field.

The LB's have to step up their play & be more disciplined & have better gap integrity. Brooks I believe is going to ball at Wela side backer & be a high volume tackler. Huff has through the roof potential but has not had very many reps for long time now, missed Spring/Summer & was late Fall camp add & academic redshirt, so he just simply hasn't had the reps yet, plus needs to add weight, but promising upside player. McXloud hopefully has his best season being a 5th year Senior & switching to Mike Baker, we shall see.

The DL will thrive though, legit one of the best units in the ACC & all of D1 ball.

If Couch doesn’t develop into an absolute beast, I’m super done with Rumph.

Bolden has more range, better reaction speed, and better ball awareness than Hall, IMO. I think Hall needs to go to Strong. Let Bolden roam.

Carter should only replace them sparingly. He is an atrocious tackler and takes terrible angles in open space. He’s much better off as a blitzer. We’ve had several True Frosh & RFr play Safety for us in the past. If these cats weren’t so mediocre as secondary coaches, we could get one ready to rotate in. We have some **** good young talent.

Ivey getting the reps he got was Rumph trying to live vicariously.... Blades needs to stay on the field like Mike Jack did.

I see these high tempo offensive teams giving up a lot of points. Is it a fatigue thing by putting your defense out there for a ton of plays or is it something else? Not having the talent? Playing other high tempo offenses. Anyone watched the Memphis vs SMU game? SMU lost to a coach that does similar spread. Is it just a matter of fact that if you go fast tempo your out to g your defense in a bi d? Why can’t Oklahoma stop people from scoring on them?
Many seemed to hold these teams off pretty well. Was it just as simple is going after the qb? The first thing I noticed about baker is he didn’it seem as aggressive as manny.

Baker reminds me of the old adage of Archie Eversole: "We Ready." Except the opposite. He's not ready.

Advertisement
Back