Blake Baker Interview on WQAM w- Joe Rose

Advertisement
Good Listening, during a slow offseason.

Go Canes

Work VPN blocked it so I can't listen but I'm hoping he said something about pulling his head out of his *** and learning from mistakes he made last season. He seems like a young energetic guy but made a bunch of strange calls last year that cost us....not even talking about 4th and 17 which sounds like wasn't his fault.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This dude is not a fit at Miami. Hope he changes my mind
Water under a bridge I know.....but....just don't see how we didn't STRONGLY go after Charlie Strong....Diaz needs a PROVEN DC....and if not, heck promote Banda and let him learn while CMD calls the DEF plays. Maybe Baker's ties to LA will help out somehow, but IMO if we start pulling LA kids it'll be due to the Ed Reed effect, not ties from Bakers LaTech days.

Water under a bridge I know.....but....just don't see how we didn't STRONGLY go after Charlie Strong....Diaz needs a PROVEN DC....and if not, heck promote Banda and let him learn while CMD calls the DEF plays. Maybe Baker's ties to LA will help out somehow, but IMO if we start pulling LA kids it'll be due to the Ed Reed effect, not ties from Bakers LaTech days.
When you take into account everything he showed us last year. It is a major cause for concern.

Did he say he would quit running defenses with 3 down lineman on 3rd and 7 especially against crappy teams.

well see that's the problem, that's the defense he runs and the defense he's going to continue running.

all he had to do was stick with the 4-3 that manny had running from the season before, was there any reason to change it? Weren't we like the number 2 overall defense in the nation and that was with an offense that was among the worst ever in miami history?

that guy is just another a shinier newer version of No. D

Advertisement
I think we’ll see an improved Baker this season. Why?

*improved confidence, having one year of experience under his predecessor. It’s his defense now.
*better knowledge of his personnel...knowing who can do what
*better depth at CB. Williams, Couch and incoming freshmen helping or even beating out Ivy and Blades
*Bolden at Safety. Kid can play.
*best pash rush in modern Cane history.

Biggest worry? Who will lead now that Shaq is gone?

Biggest upside? Watching us in a speed rush package on obvious passing downs. I’m looking for a combo package of Rousseau, Roche, Philips and a DT, maybe Holley or Blissett. Can’t wait to see it.

I think we’ll see an improved Baker this season. Why?

*improved confidence, having one year of experience under his predecessor. It’s his defense now.
*better knowledge of his personnel...knowing who can do what
*better depth at CB. Williams, Couch and incoming freshmen helping or even beating out Ivy and Blades
*Bolden at Safety. Kid can play.
*best pash rush in modern Cane history.

Biggest worry? Who will lead now that Shaq is gone?

Biggest upside? Watching us in a speed rush package on obvious passing downs. I’m looking for a combo package of Rousseau, Roche, Philips and a DT, maybe Holley or Blissett. Can’t wait to see it.
Baker will also have extra motivation because job is on the line. He needs to do a 180 this year.

Play calling matters. I’ve been arguing this with some of the sharpest brothers I know. Doesn’t matter if it’s the same scheme. Especially if the ***** is smoke and mirrors anyways. The consistency of the scheme doesn’t matter if the details get lost in the mix, players aren’t responding to the new voice, our tendencies are trash, and we can’t execute on 3rd or 4th down.

Baker was a huge downgrade when it comes to play-calling and coaching up “depth & “timing” on our blitz packages.

He needs to get his **** together. What we allowed a bottom feeding team like FIU to do down the stretch was totally disgraceful.

Advertisement

Promote Banda?!?!?!
giphy.gif

Those deep Safety blitzes from the boundary became awfully predictable.

Here's the hoping he's willing to adjust some of his calls the way Diaz did after his defense struggled with 3rd downs.

Exactly.

Advertisement
Back