Blades out for rest of 2020

Probably a good idea to limit this thread to get wells for Blades or discussion of what Barry did before it gets banished to the Covid forum.

By the way, while Barry was technically right to publish that information the question is, shouldn’t he have been respectful enough to check with Blades? I can’t say I blame Blades for feeling that way.

Also, when you guys have complained about UM keeping the lid on medical information, you see just a little sample here of how people can actually feel about their own medical information.

These guys may be athletes we watch and cheer on, but they also have rights to some degree of medical privacy, even though it’s extremely difficult in this environment.
That's the entire reason for HIPAA.

Advertisement
That's why we screen for it. Hopefully that's something that gets carried down to the HS level long term. It would be nice to never hear about a healthy 18 yr old athlete dying of a heart attack.

Look at it like this. Out of all the college football players, how many got covid? Out of those, how many developed myocarditis? That's what I mean by rare.
I think there have been papers/discussions on the utility of screening every high school athlete for heart conditions like HCM and it wouldn't be cost-effective. I may be wrong though

I know you're not trying to cast a wide net, but it sounds that way.

It's a side effect, and given how many players have had Covid and not contracted myocarditis, I'd say it's a rare one.

I won't do this with you often, and with all due respect...cut the crap.

You're **** right that I'm casting a wide net. For months, a bunch of right-leaning Covid deniers were acting as if their medical "knowledge" was superior to that of everyone else. It may have taken a year, but all these "fake news/covid-hoax" BS artists are being exposed.

And for the love of god, would you at least make an effort to have an intellectually honest discussion with me, instead of trying to fight on every technicality you can scrounge up. I never said that myocarditis wasn't rare, I never acted as if it was some common thing, but it is a SERIOUS development WHEN IT OCCURS. Stop twisting the things I say, to make it seem as if you are eminently reasonable and I am some sort of alarmist, which I am not.

I correctly and accurately pointed out that myocarditis is a CONCERN. Not a COMMON concern, but certainly not a HOAX. And, as per usual, the moderate tone of my commentary has been proven correct, while all the deniers are, once again, incorrect.

I'm not mad at you, but you sure as **** don't make nearly the same effort to nitpick the porsts of the porsters who are closer to your p-analytical outlook.

And for the record, I take heart conditions very seriously. One of my best friends from undergrad and law school died in his sleep from an undiagnosed heart condition, leaving behind a wife and young child. STATISTICALLY, what happened to him was rare, but it was no less tragic, and it was certainly avoidable (he was actually in the process of scheduling an appointment with a doctor).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Most of athletes come back is true. Doesn't make it "rare". We are lucky that young people are otherwise healthy and can stand blow after blow to their systems. Anything that interfere with electrophysiology of the heart can be dangerous. Sudden, unrecognized arrhythmia can kill athletes.

I remember reading about a baseball player in a high school game who got hit by a pitch in the chest and died. Sad.

I think there have been papers/discussions on the utility of screening every high school athlete for heart conditions like HCM and it wouldn't be cost-effective. I may be wrong though

Who was the Boston Celtic that dropped dead on the court? But I think he may have had an undiagnosed arrhythmia, can’t remember.

Advertisement
I won't do this with you often, and with all due respect...cut the crap.

You're **** right that I'm casting a wide net. For months, a bunch of right-leaning Covid deniers were acting as if their medical "knowledge" was superior to that of everyone else. It may have taken a year, but all these "fake news/covid-hoax" BS artists are being exposed.

And for the love of god, would you at least make an effort to have an intellectually honest discussion with me, instead of trying to fight on every technicality you can scrounge up. I never said that myocarditis wasn't rare, I never acted as if it was some common thing, but it is a SERIOUS development WHEN IT OCCURS. Stop twisting the things I say, to make it seem as if you are eminently reasonable and I am some sort of alarmist, which I am not.

I correctly and accurately pointed out that myocarditis is a CONCERN. Not a COMMON concern, but certainly not a HOAX. And, as per usual, the moderate tone of my commentary has been proven correct, while all the deniers are, once again, incorrect.

I'm not mad at you, but you sure as **** don't make nearly the same effort to nitpick the porsts of the porsters who are closer to your p-analytical outlook.

And for the record, I take heart conditions very seriously. One of my best friends from undergrad and law school died in his sleep from an undiagnosed heart condition, leaving behind a wife and young child. STATISTICALLY, what happened to him was rare, but it was no less tragic, and it was certainly avoidable (he was actually in the process of scheduling an appointment with a doctor).
What I remember people saying myocarditis was an excuse that the Big 10 was hiding behind. I don't recall anyone saying it was a hoax.

I took your comment as being specifically about myocarditis, not covid in general. If that wasn't the case, then forget I said anything.

Advertisement
To a moron, maybe.

You want some of this? I got free knuckle sammies on deck ya commie bastid

1607481977438.png

If you've got something better than one I linked, I'd love to see it.
I will provide more info later but the study you quoted in your reply says it all. That article from Argentina, the one you provided the link for says this: "The prevalence of cardiac injury is reported at 19%, and the prevalence of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism is higher than that for myocarditis"
I don't know about you man, but for me, 19% prevalence is not "rare".

Advertisement
you got a source on how many players have contracted myocarditis?

there was a study published prior to the season that showed a significant amount of covid patients developed this condition. It was literally the reason conferences decided to cancel their season.
correct. my daughter's cardiologist actually told us of this study when he told my daughter and I of the covid related myocarditis. It is in fact one of the major effects of Covid. Folks think it is only lung related but it affects all parts of the body. A team of pathologists dissected over 200 deaths from Covid and one other major findings were thousands of micro blood clots all throught the brain. It is important that this kid myocarditis was detected early so he can get the proper medication and rest he needs.

That's why we screen for it. Hopefully that's something that gets carried down to the HS level long term. It would be nice to never hear about a healthy 18 yr old athlete dying of a heart attack.

Look at it like this. Out of all the college football players, how many got covid? Out of those, how many developed myocarditis? That's what I mean by rare.
But the article you provide says 19%? Is this rare? Yes the vast majority recover. If you're are saying athletes rarely die from it then you have an argument on your hand. But I wasn't debating that.

This is correct...screening every Athelstan for cardiac conditions very not cost effective....cardiac conditions are very rare & screenings are either expensive (echocardiograms) or not reliable (EKGs). The best screen is a good history and physical with a good set of vitals (BP & HR) and a high index of suspicion.

Advertisement
Back