Bishop Gorman Star Tight End Elija Lofton Commits to Miami Hurricanes

If I were a TE on this team who had visions of doing anything besides blocking and wanted the get the reps that’ll get me to the NFL, I’d enter the portal after this season. This staph’s misuse of the TE position has been criminal negligence and we have every right to call it what it is. We’re not going to be silent, tough ****. Go on and tell us otherwise though.

I love when some of you guys blame the fans discussing a subject for the staph’s failures.

This is when you know someone has swallowed the whole balls and cagootz too, @The Franchise - time to consider posting again.

we are doing what we have to do to win, this year.

This year's team isn't last year's team, and there's no reason to believe this year's team will be the same next season. Things change as we develop and elevate the talent-level on our roster; this entire line of argument is emotional and myopic.

If he is as versatile, talented and physically ready as he appears to be he'll do more than the current blocking TE. His skillset is different compared to every other TE on our roster and Miami should be viewed by Lofton as an opportunity to play early, which Mario (used to coach TE position) has shown he's willing to do.

We are 6-2 with a great opportunity and the direction of the program is evident to anyone watching our games.

Beat NCS!

Last edited:
Advertisement
UNC actually dropped the average, just to be clear. Obviously the Clemson game decimated it.

He’s been terrible but Van Dyke is still 24th in the country in Y/A.
Do you know what he was prior to UNC? I’d be curious to know.

GT, Clemson and UVA probably all destroyed it, just like A&M blew it up due to completions for 48, 52, 32, and 64 yards.

Looks like Miami was 111th last week at 8.2 yards per completion.

Do you know what he was prior to UNC? I’d be curious to know.

GT, Clemson and UVA probably all destroyed it, just like A&M blew it up due to completions for 48, 52, 32, and 64 yards.

Looks like Miami was 111th last week at 8.2 yards per completion.
Going into GT week we were 19th in Y/C as a team, LSU was 18th, for reference. Not able to get individual stats on a “Prior to” basis, unfortunately.

Getting the ball in what way though?.

LSU has 2 wrs with more yards than our top wr. Those dudes also account for 20 tds.
In the literal way - catches. Each of our top 5 targets have 150 catches toThey’re averaging more yards per catch, like I said. Their top 3 WRs have 21 TDs to our 13 TDs. But again we’ve had a pretty bad stretch of weeks due to qb play. We have like 1 TD over the last 2 weeks to our top 3 WRs, while LSU has 5.

Advertisement
Gaby-

"Miami was reassured again today that they aren’t going to Texas."

Sounds like an ON3 narrative as usual
Guess we’ll find out tomorrow. Apologies for jumping the gun, although it’s Gaby’s word vs. the national recruiting services, and so far they’ve been right more often than we have for this cycle.

If I were a TE on this team who had visions of doing anything besides blocking and wanted the get the reps that’ll get me to the NFL, I’d enter the portal after this season. This staph’s misuse of the TE position has been criminal negligence and we have every right to call it what it is. We’re not going to be silent, tough ****. Go on and tell us otherwise though.

I love when some of you guys blame the fans discussing a subject for the staph’s failures.

This is when you know someone has swallowed the whole balls and cagootz too, @The Franchise - time to consider posting again.

I know Dawson runs a Bro Raid offense and nothing remotely resembling an air raid, but something the late, great Mike Leach said about TEs is interesting. He was asked about why he didn't use TEs, and he said it was because he found them to usually mean a downgrade of either receiving or blocking. If they were going to be used primarily as receivers, he could find lots of WRs that were better at that. If going to be used as blockers, he could recruit linemen that were better blockers. He said he'd happily use a TE that could block as well as an OL and catch like a WR, but he could hardly ever find and recruit those players.

I don't know if Dawson has the same philosophy, but The Pirate's logic made sense. Maybe Dawson just doesn't an advantage for using our current roster TEs as pass catchers in our offense. That doesn't mean Lofton is going to be wasted or that Dawson thinks TEs are obsolete. Lofton could be one of those rare TEs who can block and catch as good as an OL or WR, or maybe he is better than most WRs at catching passes. If it's the latter, it doesn't really matter if hes labeled as a TE, he will basically be used as a WR (like Pitts was at Florida).

Advertisement
I know Dawson runs a Bro Raid offense and nothing remotely resembling an air raid, but something the late, great Mike Leach said about TEs is interesting. He was asked about why he didn't use TEs, and he said it was because he found them to usually mean a downgrade of either receiving or blocking. If they were going to be used primarily as receivers, he could find lots of WRs that were better at that. If going to be used as blockers, he could recruit linemen that were better blockers. He said he'd happily use a TE that could block as well as an OL and catch like a WR, but he could hardly ever find and recruit those players.

I don't know if Dawson has the same philosophy, but The Pirate's logic made sense. Maybe Dawson just doesn't an advantage for using our current roster TEs as pass catchers in our offense. That doesn't mean Lofton is going to be wasted or that Dawson thinks TEs are obsolete. Lofton could be one of those rare TEs who can block and catch as good as an OL or WR, or maybe he is better than most WRs at catching passes. If it's the latter, it doesn't really matter if hes labeled as a TE, he will basically be used as a WR (like Pitts was at Florida).
The problem with this logic as it relates to Dawson is he is still using a TE, he just keeps them in to block most of time. If you are going to do that, then follow Leach's philosophy and just throw a 6th OL out there.

Crazy how 1 bad year can make people believe Miami is no longer a destination for TEs lol.
A good recruiter can easily sell this as Arroyo being injured all but 1 game, Riley Williams and Jackson Carver being true freshman, and Skinner being a literal twig who is smaller than like 2 of our WRs - who isn't the type of TE we're going to be recruiting pretty much ever.

... And I find it ridiculous McCormick is playing this much too so lets not try to say I'm saying something I'm not.

Advertisement
Crazy how 1 bad year can make people believe Miami is no longer a destination for TEs lol.
A good recruiter can easily sell this as Arroyo being injured all but 1 game, Riley Williams and Jackson Carver being true freshman, and Skinner being a literal twig who is smaller than like 2 of our WRs - who isn't the type of TE we're going to be recruiting pretty much ever.

... And I find it ridiculous McCormick is playing this much too so lets not try to say I'm saying something I'm not.
They’ve misused the receiving skill sets of the TE personnel they have. The only thing a TE does in this offense is block and run decoy routes with an occasional pass. We’ll see soon enough if anyone of pass catching value portals out and if anyone of pass catching value portals in or is recruited in from high school.

We’ll see if they can hold on to him. He seems more in the H-Back mold. Not sure what these guys will do with him. Their utilization of that position hasn’t exactly been dynamic.

Advertisement
....(but don't actually throw a 6th OL out there please lol)

Why not Against NC St? If we don't turn the ball over, I think UM wins without much trouble. We have a fresh stable of RBs. Put in a 6th OL and pound the rock. Wear them down. Stretch the defense out horizontally with bubble screens and wheel routes (and to limit the chances of an ill-advised throw by TVD). Get some drag routes with B. Smith running across the middle. Pick the spots (2nd and short), go play action and try to hit a deep pass. Seems like a good game to use a 6th OL.

....(but don't actually throw a 6th OL out there please lol)
Yeah... I want a TE out there and one that is actually a pass catching threat, but considering Cam has 2 receptions through 8 games I have to ask if we would be better off with a 6th OL.

If I am a DC I am saying 'yeah, don't worry about that guy. If he catches a ball of two, maybe then we will start worrying about him but until then...'

We’ll see if they can hold on to him. He seems more in the H-Back mold. Not sure what these guys will do with him. Their utilization of that position hasn’t exactly been dynamic.
Well lets see if McCormick is granted a 9th season lol. Hope not. If not I think we'll be fine. I'd expect Riley Williams to win the job next year.

Or just maybe he is a competitor and likes what Miami is building and what has been sold to him.

Maybe he is thinking to himself, old man Cam is leaving, arroyo can’t stay healthy and I’m better than the others so I can play right away. These kids aren’t as soft as 90% of this board.
A geriatric version of a 90 year old flaccid Mandingo isn't as soft as 90% of this board.

Advertisement
Back