Bishop Gorman Star Tight End Elija Lofton Commits to Miami Hurricanes

View as article
Advertisement
There's an undersized guy on our team now who has a similar winning background as a multiyear STAR at a national powerhouse high school.

He seems to be doing pretty well.

They just did it. We have a Top 5 OL, currently. And they built top OLs consistently at Oregon. The track record at OL is extensive and it has already translated to Miami. That includes recruiting and Portal additions.

You say that Oregon is "wide open" compared to our Dawson spread attack. What makes it wide open compared to ours? Have you done any analysis?

I'll admit I haven't. I'm focused on Miami. But since your post focuses on TEs on the field, here's Oregon's past three games compared to Miami's past three games with TVD:

Oregon- 208 plays, 307 tight end snaps
Miami- 220 plays, 205 tight end snaps

They actually throw to the TEs, though. Lol

Ferguson: 24 rec 252 yrds (10.5 ypc) 1 TD
Herbert: 10 rec 97 yrds (9.7 ypc) 1 TD

Compared to Miami:

We have 3 TEs w/ a combined 9 catches on the season for less than 100 yards, total & 2 TDs.

I think that’s a bit disingenuous that u’re trying to compare the two philosophies. Our TEs are nothing more than a 6th OLman.

Where the heck did you find that metric at? I've never heard of that before.

It’s a game grader metric. Most analytic models now have game grades as well.

F+ allows you to look at game grades going all the way back to 2007.

And then you can break that down by offensive, defensive, and special teams splits for each game.

Advertisement
It’s a game grader metric. Most analytic models now have game grades as well.

F+ allows you to look at game grades going all the way back to 2007.

And then you can break that down by offensive, defensive, and special teams splits for each game.
Mossmadness! I will never ever doubt your word on metrics again! You know about stuff I never heard of!

1. even those top OLs he built got their *** handed to them against a lot of physical teams. Largely thanks to the bunching the box and methodical style of play. You can’t bully eveybody.

2. he didn’t do anything with them. The 16th ranked offense with Justin Herbert is his crowning offensive achievement. An OL is a means to an end. The end is scoring a **** ton of points relative to what an average offense would do to that defense. His style of play doesn’t do that.
Point number-1 mirabal and Mario are gone that's why they got there **** handed to them!...unless you meant while they were still at Oregon?

Compared to Miami:

We have 3 TEs w/ a combined 9 catches on the season for less than 100 yards, total & 2 TDs.

I think that’s a bit disingenuous that u’re trying to compare the two philosophies. Our TEs are nothing more than a 6th OLman.
Especially when we run McCoy out there with a TE number.

Why can't he just go out there with his regular jersey number? He's only in there to block anyways although I'd love to see him sneak out for a pass in a goal line situation for a TD against Fsu.

One more thing I want to add about failing to recruit on UGA’s level, are the amount of portal whiffs/non-impactful players we’ve seen in evals.

Lichtenstein
Sagapolu
Denis
Agude
Moultrie
Caleb Johnson
Frank Ladson
Terry Roberts
Thomas Gore
Ja’Dais Richard
Davonte Brown
Tyler Harrell

Even Jaden Davis gets abused, but we have no one else ready I guess. Our portal game needs a lot of work. It’s supposed to be used like FSU, USC and Ole Miss use it - to fast track your way to the top of the food chain.

We’ve got 2 OL, Kiko and Deen as our impactful additions. Need to be hitting at a higher clip.
You're missing a bunch of others "hits" like Parrish (solid starter although i'd prefer him as RB2 or 3), Mesidor (stud when healthy), Colbie (WR1, wasn't he a transfer?), McCormick (love him or hate him his blocking is clutch), Ajay Allen (don't beat UVA without him), Porter (solid CB starter), etc.

This said, aside from the Addison/Coleman's of the world, I've come to accept Portal is totally hit or miss. Everyone on this board thought D Brown was a huge pick-up, Harrell would be a deep threat WR we've been missing, Caleb was all Pac-12 LB and was gonna be impact starter, Ladson was former 5 star and worth the shot, etc. Sagapolu is the one extreme miss IMO since Mario/Mirabel coached him at Oregon and should have known what he was. Not saying we shouldn't be better (Especially with Zo on board), but portal is frankly weird.

Advertisement

Compared to Miami:

Mario’s 2022 Miami team threw it to the tight end twice as much as this year’s Oregon team.

Are you saying it’s a Mario issue or a Dawson issue?

Mario’s 2022 Miami team threw it to the tight end twice as much as this year’s Oregon team.

Are you saying it’s a Mario issue or a Dawson issue?

Unequivocally Dawson. If u look at his history as an OC whether it be WVU, UK, So. Miss, or UH, the TE was rarely featured.

He had one good year as an OC utilizing the TE, & that came in 2021 w/ Christian Trahan. Under Gattis at UofM they frequently used the TE, avg. approx. 39 rec/year at an 11.5 ypc clip; so, it’s no wonder Mallory’s best season came under him, & his #’s were on par to the TEs at UofM.

The philosophy has changed, & our TEs r nothing more than a 6th OL. The offense we’re running has become archaic again, & it’s putting too much pressure on the Def to keep us in the game. The fortunate thing is out of the 8 opponents we’ve played thus far, only 2 have been ranked inside the top 40 as far as offensive production (GT & UNC). The next closest O worth a **** was Clemson at 49; however, every other team we’ve faced have been 60th or worst. (Miami-OH {88th), TAMU {64th}, BCU {121st-FCS}, Temple {95th}, UVA {84Th}).

We ain’t got that luxury coming up, so I would like to see us utilize a safety valve in a TE, more, to loosen up the opposing defenses.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mario took what about 6-8 months to hire Dawson?

You’d of thought in that amount of time he’d of found out Dawson doesn’t know an offense has TE’s.

You want to help a struggling or young QB give him a TE to throw too…but naw Dawson would rather throw 50 11 WR screens a night that very rarely go for more than a couple yds when a TE across the middle or down the seam not only helps the QB but could get a bigger chunk of yds in one play than all of Dawson’s WR screens in 3-4 games put together..

Get a clue Dawson this is TE U and there’s a couple of pretty good ones taking up space with you on the sidelines.

One more thing I want to add about failing to recruit on UGA’s level, are the amount of portal whiffs/non-impactful players we’ve seen in evals.

Lichtenstein
Sagapolu
Denis
Agude
Moultrie
Caleb Johnson
Frank Ladson
Terry Roberts
Thomas Gore
Ja’Dais Richard
Davonte Brown
Tyler Harrell

Even Jaden Davis gets abused, but we have no one else ready I guess. Our portal game needs a lot of work. It’s supposed to be used like FSU, USC and Ole Miss use it - to fast track your way to the top of the food chain.

We’ve got 2 OL, Kiko and Deen as our impactful additions. Need to be hitting at a higher clip.
Was Highsmith involved with those guys or were most of them here already when he joined the team?

Advertisement
IMG_1643.jpeg

Texas has a pretty physical rushing attack, similar to us in that regard. Except he’d also catch the ball.

Not surprised they’re still pursuing him considering they were our main competition in the initial recruitment.

Advertisement
Back