Biggest Recruiting Misses?

Advertisement
Patrick Peterson -- We got Telemaque and Brandon Harris instead. At the time it didnt feel like the worse loss because the Telamaque commit was pretty cool as he was oos. Harris was great at HS but 20/20 hindsight - Pat P was/is the best DB to play football since 2008 across college and pro.

Man, I remember that year - at one point, we felt REAL strongly about landing the Peterson, Janoris Jenkins, TJ Bryant, Harris foursome.

Advertisement
Patrick Peterson -- We got Telemaque and Brandon Harris instead. At the time it didnt feel like the worse loss because the Telamaque commit was pretty cool as he was oos. Harris was great at HS but 20/20 hindsight - Pat P was/is the best DB to play football since 2008 across college and pro.
Peterson got a HUGE $$$$ Bag....he wasn't coming

Advertisement
Exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP
and see IMO that's the staffs job, to get them to come, is it not? we don't actually just pay them to coach, they are also tasked with recruiting players

re·cruit·ment
/rəˈkro͞otmənt/
noun
  • 1.the action of enlisting new people in the armed forces.
  • the action of finding new people to join an organization or support a cause:"the recruitment of nurses"

and see IMO that's the staffs job, to get them to come, is it not? we don't actually just pay them to coach, they are also tasked with recruiting players

re·cruit·ment
/rəˈkro͞otmənt/
noun
  • 1.the action of enlisting new people in the armed forces.
  • the action of finding new people to join an organization or support a cause:"the recruitment of nurses"

I wouldn't define a miss as somebody we recruited hard and didn't get him. A miss is an evaluation error where we didn't even pursue the kid, gave minimal effort, or got on him too late ie Asante Samuel. And BTW It's a two way street just because you're selling something don't mean they gotta buy it.

I wouldn't define a miss as somebody we recruited hard and didn't get him. A miss as an evaluation error where we didn't even pursue the kid, gave minimal effort, or got on him too late ie Asante Samuel. And BTW It's a two way street just because you're selling something don't mean they gotta buy it.
I agree somewhat, but the best staffs get the highest rated kids to buy it, that's their JOB. It's common sense and a proven way to build championship challenging programs.

Until we get a staff to lock down the majority of these SoFla elites we will continue to have these threads and struggle in the mighty ACC Coastal. I will also add "getting in too late" is the staffs fault as well and a terrible excuse for a miss.

Last year was a decent start with JW and LT. Let's keep it up.

Advertisement
Amari Cooper is the biggest one because he started an entire culture of elite south Florida wide receivers going to bama and being first rounders. Ridley jeudy and now brooks. Just my opinion but I think that miss has the biggest impact long term
See I think this role is more Pat Peterson. He was that 5* from our backyard that burned us hard at the last minute if I recall correctly. I always felt like he opened the flood gates.

I agree somewhat, but the best staffs get the highest rated kids to buy it, that's their JOB. It's common sense and a proven way to build championship challenging programs.

Until we get a staff to lock down the majority of these SoFla elites we will continue to have these threads and struggle in the mighty ACC Coastal. I will also add "getting in too late" is the staffs fault as well and a terrible excuse for a miss.

Last year was a decent start with JW and LT. Let's keep it up.

Let's be real we all know why these kids are going elsewhere and it's not because these staffs have some recruiting mystical powers. They pay to get the elite of elite which lead to success and they sell their success to other recruits.

Advertisement
I don’t care if you send ten kids a year in the first round. A kid is always taking that $! Just the reality of recruiting 18 yr olds from south Florida.

Let's be real we all know why these kids are going elsewhere and it's not because these staffs have some recruiting mystical powers. They pay to get the elite of elite which lead to success and they sell their success to other recruits.
Then pay them too, just F'ing win. Please.

I don’t care if you send ten kids a year in the first round. A kid is always taking that $! Just the reality of recruiting 18 yr olds from south Florida.
The you pay the $$$ too. I don't want excuses, I want these studs staying in SoFla and us winning the ACC Coastal more times than Duke has. All kids are drawn by $ if it is offered, not just SoFla kids. If the SEC schools, OSU*, Clemson, etc are paying them, then do it. I personally believe playing and winning championships and sending kids to the NFL matters more, but that's just me. It's always easy to just holler "$$$$$$$BAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!" as an excuse.

Make it happen here, whatever it takes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back