Biggest loss due to grades in recruiting history

Advertisement
Advertisement
i wish it was willie williams or kyle wright. those guys sucked.
Neither Williams nor Wright sucked. I'm not really sure what happened with Williams. He showed some glimpses in a few games. Might have been playing out of position. Somebody with a little more insight could probably weigh in on this and give a better explanation why Williams didn't work out.

As far as Wright, he had an excellent sophomore season in 2005. Played very well, but ended season on bad note. He also had new OC's in 2006 and again in 2007. Played decent in 2006 and broke his thumb against VT and missed the last four games. Got screwed in 2007 when Randy Shannon named Kirby Freeman the starter. Freeman was so bad, that Shannon had no choice but to play Wright after two games into the season. Wright played decent and then got injured again in the FSU game. By the way, the OC in 2007 was Patrick Nix, one of our worst OC's ever. Injuries somewhat derailed Wright's career. Wright definitely didn't live up to the hype of a #1 recruit, but I wouldn't say he sucked.

Neither Williams nor Wright sucked. I'm not really sure what happened with Williams. He showed some glimpses in a few games. Might have been playing out of position. Somebody with a little more insight could probably weigh in on this and give a better explanation why Williams didn't work out.

As far as Wright, he had an excellent sophomore season in 2005. Played very well, but ended season on bad note. He also had new OC's in 2006 and again in 2007. Played decent in 2006 and broke his thumb against VT and missed the last four games. Got screwed in 2007 when Randy Shannon named Kirby Freeman the starter. Freeman was so bad, that Shannon had no choice but to play Wright after two games into the season. Wright played decent and then got injured again in the FSU game. By the way, the OC in 2007 was Patrick Nix, one of our worst OC's ever. Injuries somewhat derailed Wright's career. Wright definitely didn't live up to the hype of a #1 recruit, but I wouldn't say he sucked.
Willie showed more than glimpses in the UM games he was in....and Grades were never a problem in HS with him. He killed his SATs

Willie showed more than glimpses in the UM games he was in....and Grades were never a problem in HS with him. He killed his SATs
Any more insight as to why Williams didn't pan out? I always thought he looked like he could be an animal out there. Was he held back by bad coaching or just some coaches that might have had an issue with him for some reason. As more time passes, I hear things about Randy Shannon and his attitude and behavior with certain players, which may help explain why some of the players were not put in a position to be successful here.

Advertisement
Any more insight as to why Williams didn't pan out? I always thought he looked like he could be an animal out there. Was he held back by bad coaching or just some coaches that might have had an issue with him for some reason. As more time passes, I hear things about Randy Shannon and his attitude and behavior with certain players, which may help explain why some of the players were not put in a position to be successful here.
See Shannon...He completely misused WW....Everytime Willie was in a UM game, he made plays....

i wish it was willie williams or kyle wright. those guys sucked.
WW is the best recruit we’ve ever signed PEROID. If he had been a few years before his time and played under Butch he would’ve been well on his way to becoming a hall of famer. Kyle Wright was a product of bad coaching and several different OCs. He had all the physical tools to be special.

Also I’m hearing that grades aren’t the issue with Cormani so I don’t know who started that rumor…

Advertisement
1. McCoy;
2. Bobby Washington;
3. Derrick Griffin.

I am glad that things may end up working out, in a crazy and roundabout way, re: Washington.

WW is the best recruit we’ve ever signed PEROID. If he had been a few years before his time and played under Butch he would’ve been well on his way to becoming a hall of famer. Kyle Wright was a product of bad coaching and several different OCs. He had all the physical tools to be special.

Not even close. WW's had talent, but nobody could seem to bring it out of him in college. If he was the best recruit ever signed, he would've had a much better career under whatever coach. Future HOF'ers don't wash out like he did.

Kyle Wright was a classic case of people getting caught up in the guy with the big arm. Cannon, but zero touch and accuracy issues all over the field. Like any player ever, he could've been better, but he was who he is.

Advertisement
Ehhh, he played two seasons at Louisville and really didn’t do much. I think he had like 40 tackles over two seasons. I won’t completely dismiss Shannon’s poor coaching but he went somewhere else and still didn’t play well.

Williams probably should have been a pass rushing outside linebacker, not a traditional 4-3 linebacker like Miami used. In high school he was literally used like “The Waterboy”. He didn’t have specific assignments. It was “see ball, chase ball”. He was so athletically gifted that he could dominate games by himself. Essentially being a high school version of Lawrence Taylor. Louisville actually made him a DE.

Advertisement
Back