Big Time Quote From Banda

I don’t care if we don’t get a single kid from South Florida. All I care about is the blue chip ratio, and that the staff has identified the kid as someone who will work out in our system.

If we won a ship with a team 100 percent from New Jersey or Texas, that’s cool w me.

I’m just glad we seem to be done taking uncle luke specials every year. I’m talking about 3-star local scrubs who will never play here, but who we take because we want to kiss that high school coach’s ***. Guys like Nigel Bethel.

I’ll take the 4/5 stars from South Florida any day....but if they don’t want to come here, then go get a 4/5 star from elsewhere...don’t move down the South Florida rung and start offering projects, sleepers, under the radar, etc

Advertisement
Better coaching. Our players have been much better than our results for a long time. Hence why Um still has so many guys in the nfl despite sucking for so long. Sure, also avoid dead wood and empty spots on the roster. But that is about coaching effort primarily, as Manny is showing.

The idea is is hard to win 10+ games at UM in this era is an idea rooted in defeatist excuses, imo.

I do not think we have had, despite the coaching concerns, the level of talent required to compete for the playoffs on a consistent basis in recent years. This is not an "excuse" but simply a reality as I see it. We need to recruit more top level talent to win at a high level consistently. I'm sure Manny would agree. The question is whether the chicken comes before the egg; do we need to win first then recruit better or vice versa?

This is total bull****... you think the Diva's give a crap... most of the top guys that left, left to get paid - with few exceptions. You think a south florida kid wants to go live and play in front a bunch of racist, rednecks in Alabama, your NUTS! They are not snubbing Miami, then simply can not turn down the amounts of money being thrown at them.

I don't disagree with that strategy at all, I've been hoping for it myself.

What I'm pushing back on is fans that are anti South Fla & think there's going to be some OOS revolution flooding into Miami's classes, it's just not going to happen.

All I'm trying to find out is what fans think is actually going to happen, which elite 4/5-star OOS players do they think we're actually going to get? We can get mid-tier 3-star players from other places real easy, but does that solve the problem? That's all I'm trying to figure out.

How many do you think you need? Maybe 4 in a class of 24. You took an OOS 3-star from NYC who is clearly undervalued. Interior linemen are very difficult to assess. Most are just oversized kids who dominate because of their size at the high school level. I've been arguing for years to sign kids with length, athleticism and a solid frame to build up. That used to be the Miami way. Take tight ends and make them defensive ends or tackles (offense and defense). Eric Winston is a terrific example. Take safeties and make them linebackers. I realize we are desperate for talent, but we can do it right recruiting moving forward until we stabilize. This portal gig is terrific for Miami. We have to be a very appealing 1-year destination for kids in their money year. Everybody is ripping up this 240 pound kid that is on campus. Nobody is denying he is athletic and aggressive. He is now sitting at 263 pounds and we haven't even hit spring ball. The kid will be sitting close to 290 by his redshirt freshman year. I personally don't want starting linemen any earlier than their 3 year on campus unless the kid is a rare find. Donaldson could have used a redshirt if just to lose 50 pounds. Now he is coming into his 3 year. The kid is a road grader but he doesn't pull well and he most certainly does not have the lateral quickness to play right tackle. He gets murdered on speed rushes and that is not fair on the kid.

Last edited:
Advertisement
"We're going to start looking a little broader," he said. "If a young man wants to play around, then fine. We are going to find the ones that want to be here badly."

Looks like the South Florida Divas aren't going to get the preferential treatment anymore. I love this attitude change.

I like that approach too....let's go broader and let's WIN big..then we can tell all of south fla to kiss our ***.

I do not think we have had, despite the coaching concerns, the level of talent required to compete for the playoffs on a consistent basis in recent years. This is not an "excuse" but simply a reality as I see it. We need to recruit more top level talent to win at a high level consistently. I'm sure Manny would agree. The question is whether the chicken comes before the egg; do we need to win first then recruit better or vice versa?
You’re moving the goalposts. We’ve had more than enough talent to win a lot more than we have. That is a fact and the nfl rosters prove it. And if we’d won to our talent level, we’d have won enough to have gotten more top talent, which would have enabled more winning. That’s how this works. Pretending we have to compete for a title before we can get any more talent than we have is just incorrect. It just doesn’t work that way. Better play, better talent, better better play, better better talent. And so on, and so forth.

I don't disagree with that strategy at all, I've been hoping for it myself.

What I'm pushing back on is fans that are anti South Fla & think there's going to be some OOS revolution flooding into Miami's classes, it's just not going to happen.

All I'm trying to find out is what fans think is actually going to happen, which elite 4/5-star OOS players do they think we're actually going to get? We can get mid-tier 3-star players from other places real easy, but does that solve the problem? That's all I'm trying to figure out.

Well said bruh...great post

You’re moving the goalposts. We’ve had more than enough talent to win a lot more than we have. That is a fact and the nfl rosters prove it. And if we’d won to our talent level, we’d have won enough to have gotten more top talent, which would have enabled more winning. That’s how this works. Pretending we have to compete for a title before we can get any more talent than we have is just incorrect. It just doesn’t work that way. Better play, better talent, better better play, better better talent. And so on, and so forth.

Read before you type. The original post that I responded to was in relation to competing for the playoffs on a consistent basis in order to improve recruiting, specifically in South Florida.

Advertisement
This is total bull****... you think the Diva's give a crap... most of the top guys that left, left to get paid - with few exceptions. You think a south florida kid wants to go live and play in front a bunch of racist, rednecks in Alabama, your NUTS! They are not snubbing Miami, then simply can not turn down the amounts of money being thrown at them.
You are thinking about this wrong.

For local kids, they have to first decide if they want to come to UM. If not, perhaps a bag is the difference between Alabama and UGA. Gotta have so,e basis to decide, and bags clear markets. But that doesn’t mean UM had to match the offer. Maybe for some kids. Not for others. What UM has to do is be a attractive option, bags aside. It has not been. Chicks don’t date poor guys who are also ugly and non-self-aware.

Read before you type. The original post that I responded to was in relation to competing for the playoffs on a consistent basis in order to improve recruiting, specifically in South Florida.
Well, then that post was wrong.

Let’s walk before we run. Demonstrate coaching competency, S&C competency, amd recruiting competency.

Amari Cooper and Jerry Jeudy are going to make a lot more money from the NFL than they made from Alabama. Some of our fans are pretty much in denial here. Quit with the bag whining until we can demonstrate that we are a credible option. If we demonstrate overall program stability and competency, including winning and looking good doing so, we’ll recruit just fine, or you can go back to whining about local kids. But for now, your whining makes no sense to me. The question fans need to grapple with is why should local kids sacrifice to come to the dumpster fire this program has been for 15 years? If UM’s administration hasn’t cared about our program, why should local kids trust their futures to it?

Advertisement
Advertisement
DJ and KWII were TOP national recruits. We’d ALWAYS take those kids.

Shockey, McDougle were jucos. Totally different discussion. We SHOULD take more jucos.

Portis was a no brainer. Florida kid with tremendous talent who would have gone to UF if they’d offered him at RB. Simple evaluation. Good call, Butch.

Dorsey = CA QB. Sure. Always. No one disputes that.

Romberg was a Canadian Kehoe special. Is anyone seriously saying we should be heavily scouring Canada too here? I seem to recall Kehoe himself also brought in some useless Canadian OL later on. Maybe it’s about the evals, not Canada?

So your list comes down to Bibla (NJ) and Reed (LA). Maybe we can just agree that outside of Florida, NJ and LA are a couple areas to pay attention to. Or maybe we can quit using Ed Reed as an example of anything. He comes along once in ever. We won’t be back if we think we should recruit nationally because Ed Reed. Why not recruit more Hialeah kids because Ted Hendricks? That logic gets you nowhere. You need a plan, resources and evaluaton skills.
McDougle's from Pompano, local guy...

I get that most that post on this board know only Florida recruiting but news flash there is talent outside of the state

Football does not revolve around the state of Florida Im sorry to say that... there is talent in Texas(my home state), CA, PA, OH etc...

Limiting us to only local kids who we ***** about yanking our chain all season is foolish..

Look around maybe find another DJ, Bubba, G.Willis, Mike Jackson somewhere with a skill set that would kill in your scheme

But always keep a look out local wise when a guy like JJ talks up his buddy Redwine and how good he is!

You do realize some of the BEST players to ever wear a U on their helmet didnt come from "the state of miami"??

Lol cmon man

the local stud on our team is tweeting out love messages to CJ Henderson, the enemy, while a Ga kid and Vegas kid are openly recruiting and talking nonsense.

Advertisement
Back