Big Picture Lemonade

When longterm judgments about coaching can be made is a subject for another debate (and certainly after 1 bad half isn't the answer) but the "inherited player" defense/justification is one that is comical to use in relation to any of our regular season games. I'm personally still all in on Rick and his staff but would caution those also with me from stretching too hard to defend him at every juncture or you'll end up wanting to kill yourself as anyone did that offered Alfredo one too many benefit of the doubts.

I'm all in on Richt. This only one game, lost by one point. He needs to evaluate his offense and adjust his play calling. What appeared to be conservative exhibition game plans now appear to be the core offense. Last night Richt played the game not to lose. And lost.

Everyone on offense has limitations. Kaaya struggles under pressure, Walton and Yearby lack game breaking speed, and the OL isn't physical. This was true last season, but Richt's job is to find a way to generate more from less. If he insists on a power running game out of the I and RPO formations the offense will continue to struggle.

Ironically, it assumed Richt would instantly fix the offense while it would take time to build a defense. Many of us were disappointed with the hire of Manny Diaz. There were a few lapses last night but we haven't seen a defense play with that level of violence in over a decade. Hopefully they can stay healthy over the course of the season.

And oh, by the way, Tom Herman the God of #6 Houston got mauled by unranked Navy and the Legend Gary Patterson at TCU had to scratch and claw for a 1-point win over Kansas. Even though TCU was unranked they was a 30-point favorite on the road. Kansas is that bad.

Perspective.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Big picture for a first year coach should emphasize less on wins and losses and more on performances and seeing progress. We got that on one side of the ball, but the offense looks doomed. Any reasonable poster here saw the warning signs after the Gtech game, our offense was putrid apart from 3 drives. For Richt to fail to recognize what doesn't work and make zero adjustments is D'Nofrioesque.

The "rational" reaction is to treat this like we got beat by a better team and move forward with great expectations. The little voices telling us that our offense looks like total **** when it shouldn't are overwhelming the "rational" thoughts.

No way we should have performed like we did against a ****** defense in a huge rivalry game.

That ****** offense won't magically get better and make us the 10 win team we should be unless Rick has a "come to Jesus" with himself.

We will struggle to get a win in October. I like you OP, but completely disagree with your assessment on things.

I'm not making a predictions though. Just saying what the standard should still be and that this moment was inevitably coming unless people thought we were winning out. Obviously it's extremely crushing in the manner it came but it was coming and it was always going to be under the pretense of a game we "should have won".
Of course no one thought that we'd be 12-0 but many people rightly thought that one of the losses wouldn't be to our rival playing the worst football they've played in years, for the 7th straight game in a row, setting a new record in the "rivalry."

Last night was disturbing and uninspiring.

Fair enough. But would/will it be any more disturbing than if we **** the bed against a Pitt or NC State? I'm just saying that if you adhere to the big picture standards you set going into this season and you're 4-0 and presumably the favorite in your remaining games at that point that ANY loss is going to seem like it shouldn't have occurred.
Yes, more disturbing. We disagree on the magnitude of the FSU game. It was huge for the program going forward and is not at all comparable to any other game in the rest of the schedule. Agree to disagree here.

Agreed.

Plus Richt has already shown his inability to beat his rival at UGA (5-11 vs UF). Losing to this bad FSU team at home is not a good look

The "rational" reaction is to treat this like we got beat by a better team and move forward with great expectations. The little voices telling us that our offense looks like total **** when it shouldn't are overwhelming the "rational" thoughts.

No way we should have performed like we did against a ****** defense in a huge rivalry game.

That ****** offense won't magically get better and make us the 10 win team we should be unless Rick has a "come to Jesus" with himself.

ZomboMeme09102016150916 09102016150916.jpg

Advertisement

View attachment 39498

Lol somebody needs to tweet this to richt

You nailed it. To the people who show up for ONE GAME A YEAR (FSU) that's the mentality. If we don't win it, the coaches & players are called every name in the book by those who don't show up or support the program the rest of the year.

I'm just curious..was the entire season resting on us beating fsu? I'm beginning to think that people will still be unsatisfied even if we win the coastal!

You nailed it. To the people who show up for ONE GAME A YEAR (FSU) that's the mentality. If we don't win it, the coaches & players are called every name in the book by those who don't show up or support the program the rest of the year.

I'm just curious..was the entire season resting on us beating fsu? I'm beginning to think that people will still be unsatisfied even if we win the coastal!

You're downplaying how important it is to beat your instate rival (on and off the field). 7 straight years. Really think about that. 7.

Advertisement
Back