Big 10 Finalized Media Rights Deal

Advertisement
Just curious if there’s been any word lately @Cribby ? I know previous you said things would move faster than expected but it’s been about a month I think since that comment
Y'all gotta relax acting like impatient kids with this whole "are we there yet?" behavior. It'll happen when it happens. Pinging @Cribby and @Boarcane every 5 minutes on any updates is not going to speed up the process. Just relax, chill, and prepare for the upcoming season.

Don’t forget about the Sproodle market.
I'm eagerly waiting to see what kind of a deal they offer on these.

I'm not sure how all this works, but aside from these huge conference/network agreements, something been nagging at me for a while now.

I'm probably a bit older than many here - but I'd like to point something out that really worked well for one team long term.

From 1976 to 2007, the Atlanta Braves were shown on WTBS Atlanta, presented as America's Team, and folks across the nation knew that team better than any other. Lots of night games, and lots of interest in being able to follow the games of "America's Team."

Fans in the northeast and Midwest could rattle off the names of the Atlanta players better than the names of their own favorite team names. It was a marketing coup that helped the Braves from "Go Braves, and take the Falcons with you" to - **** - America's team!

Previously, the Dallas Cowboys became a national favorite for a long period of time - another American's Team.

Now, thanks to the owner, you can leave Dallas tickets on your dashboard, windows down - come back to your car an hour later and not only are the Dallas game tickets STILL on your dash, but there will probably be a few additional tickets left behind.

I know group think is comfortable, but surely someone with a bit of creativity can leverage something similar for UM - because UM Football is the one team in the entire nation that manifests excitement, emotions, love, hate, envy, fear, admiration, and most every emotion on record when they're playing well.

No other college football program has EVER been so influential, and exciting as UM Football. ALL other teams - are just boring - tired grinding - weary traditions - with only minor shifts like the tides of a lazy Summer.

We did pretty good as an independent. We also did pretty good with the Big East.

Not saying we should go independent - but there's some folks smart enough to take the historically most electric college football team in history and help them in turn - become a college version of America's Team - whether one loves them or hates them.

That was a long post but maybe a week or two ago i asked what if Amazon for example came with a big bag and said we gonna make you the flagship, wouldn’t going independent be worth a look. We are a national brand. Now the main issue with that wouldn't be money but scheduling issues if all the big brands go to a couple conferences. Sure we would be able to load up on mid majors but we would newd marquee matchups to make it worth it. But teams may be more reluctant to play big OOC games if they are in a conference with many top power schools

Advertisement
Boar and myself both said the move could be fast as in leaving as early as 24-25. All I posted is it could be announced as early as before the season and as late as after the season. I never gave an exact time. There was still issues being worked out, I haven’t heard anything since.
To the Big 10?

Yes, ESPN is still the monster because of College Gameday and the broadcasting of the playoffs but in the age of streaming is ESPN as powerful as it once was? A % of the country tuned out for political reasons and a perceived level of ‘woke’ that frustrated mainly Southern states. Now the SEC is going to be owned by ESPN for the foreseeable future so I am curious how the political side impacts them.

Advertisement
ACCN will now be featured on Comcast for an add’l $6m/school in revenue; however, Swofford was an absolute idiot signing a 20 year deal! 20 years??!

Y'all gotta relax acting like impatient kids with this whole "are we there yet?" behavior. It'll happen when it happens. Pinging @Cribby and @Boarcane every 5 minutes on any updates is not going to speed up the process. Just relax, chill, and prepare for the upcoming season.
Who’s y’all tho? I’m not asking every 5 minutes. Dude brings good info to the board if I’m gunna ask something it’s going to be him.

Idk how ND stays independent now. Unless they don’t want to play any night games for the foreseeable future or be relegated to Peacock.
Ah, they have a new deal negotiated with NBC that will pay them $60 million and they will be PART of the programming of games with the Big 10. They keep their independent status in football, a portion of their 7 non ACC games are then scheduled with BIG 10 opponents ... win win for the FOX / NBC programming group and for Notre Dame. This negotiation was mentioned two weeks ago by Dan Patrick as a "possible scenario" and he stated that if it DID happen the most likely response from the SEC to counter ... would be adding Clemson / Miami / FSU and one other to the SEC lineup. ESPN is focused on the SEC for it's big $$$ programming future and could very well completely re-negotiate the existing contract ... upping the ante ... in order not to lose any of THEIR valuable programs to an aggressive BIG 10. There is no GOR in the SEC ... a team could leave at will if interested so it is in ESPN's interest to be sure they are keeping up with the BIG in media $$$. Getting crazy. Do expect something by the end of the year as far as an announcement and regardless of "who we want" or "we would fit best with the Big" ESPN has the current media contract and could facilitate the "transfer" from the ACC to the SEC.

Advertisement
Are we sure the SEC will be able to top this? eSECpn alone?
It will be awesome but won’t top it. The markets alone have bigger audience potential. And I just doubt after this deal the others are going to be able to ante up, its why it got divided to begin with

Advertisement
It’s smoke.

Oh, I’m verrrrrry sure. Lol. There’s some butt hurt feelings w/in some schools w/in the UC system (cough, cough, cough Cal)

At the end of the day, The PAC-12 have some options, but they need to work now. 2024 will be here ASAP.

ACCN will now be featured on Comcast for an add’l $6m/school in revenue; however, Swofford was an absolute idiot signing a 20 year deal! 20 years??!
The ACC was so hellbent on getting its own TV network, they didn't see the forest for the trees. ESPN was like "sure, we'll start up your own network, but you'll have to give us your first born child". Swofford was like...."where do I sign?"

Last edited:
Oh, I’m verrrrrry sure. Lol. There’s some butt hurt feelings w/in some schools w/in the UC system (cough, cough, cough Cal)

At the end of the day, The PAC-12 have some options, but they need to work now. 2024 will be here ASAP.
I mean I'll say it's worth a short for them in order to try to force Cal into the B10 - but lets be real, if the situation is either UCLA in or out of the B10, they'd be complete ******* idiots to stop this.

Cal getting in to B12 (and Stanford but to lesser degree) is entirely dependent on just how much the B10 wants to dominate academically. Even then Cal is the final addition to the conference along with like Duke...

Advertisement
Back