Big 10 Finalized Media Rights Deal

If these Big Ten schools don't significantly increase their football spending they should be kicked out the league. No reason that they should have only 3 schools in the top 25 recruiting regularly with the piles of cash they been and about to get. And only one school that recruit at a playoff level consistently.

I maintain i would rather go to the Big Ten. Don't care about the weather and none of that. Adding Florida would cover the Big Coast to coast and even though the SEC has more power schools, they remain a regional conference. Eventually that max out with how they are squeezing out money in these deals
Agree with this. I favor the Big Ten over SEC as well.

Advertisement
cool andy samberg GIF

If these Big Ten schools don't significantly increase their football spending they should be kicked out the league. No reason that they should have only 3 schools in the top 25 recruiting regularly with the piles of cash they been and about to get. And only one school that recruit at a playoff level consistently.

I maintain i would rather go to the Big Ten. Don't care about the weather and none of that. Adding Florida would cover the Big Coast to coast and even though the SEC has more power schools, they remain a regional conference. Eventually that max out with how they are squeezing out money in these deals
would definitely have better ability to provide nationally appealing games for all 3 time slots every Saturday.. the SEC will be more popular regionally but the B1G can draw nationally.. nobody in California or New York cares about Florida vs LSU... but the B1G can put on 3 national games every single Saturday if we get in there and they can get more games against ND.... it'll be hard from them to draw in the Southeast unless they get like Clemson/Miami/FSU but they can dominate the rest of the country...

As a college football fan I'm glad they're splitting their games up by network. I can't stand watching games on certain networks because of their ****** commentators (among other reasons).

On the other hand.. ESPN has even more power now. ESPN has no financial interest in BIG 10 football. THEY air the playoffs and the rankings. So their pro SEC lean is the first thing viewers hear when the rankings are released. ***** the BIG 10.

Every year an overrated SEC team is in the initial top 4, while ESPN uses gator maths to justify that overrated SEC team's ranking. And EVERY year that team gets exposed and falls out, but not before another SEC team gets credit for beating that team while they have their undeserved ranking.

It was bad before, but now? This just made ESPN and the SEC stronger.

Apparently ND thinks they have a $60 million year deal with NBC coming up and will stay Independent

Advertisement
I'm not sure how all this works, but aside from these huge conference/network agreements, something been nagging at me for a while now.

I'm probably a bit older than many here - but I'd like to point something out that really worked well for one team long term.

From 1976 to 2007, the Atlanta Braves were shown on WTBS Atlanta, presented as America's Team, and folks across the nation knew that team better than any other. Lots of night games, and lots of interest in being able to follow the games of "America's Team."

Fans in the northeast and Midwest could rattle off the names of the Atlanta players better than the names of their own favorite team names. It was a marketing coup that helped the Braves from "Go Braves, and take the Falcons with you" to - **** - America's team!

Previously, the Dallas Cowboys became a national favorite for a long period of time - another American's Team.

Now, thanks to the owner, you can leave Dallas tickets on your dashboard, windows down - come back to your car an hour later and not only are the Dallas game tickets STILL on your dash, but there will probably be a few additional tickets left behind.

I know group think is comfortable, but surely someone with a bit of creativity can leverage something similar for UM - because UM Football is the one team in the entire nation that manifests excitement, emotions, love, hate, envy, fear, admiration, and most every emotion on record when they're playing well.

No other college football program has EVER been so influential, and exciting as UM Football. ALL other teams - are just boring - tired grinding - weary traditions - with only minor shifts like the tides of a lazy Summer.

We did pretty good as an independent. We also did pretty good with the Big East.

Not saying we should go independent - but there's some folks smart enough to take the historically most electric college football team in history and help them in turn - become a college version of America's Team - whether one loves them or hates them.

Just curious if there’s been any word lately @Cribby ? I know previous you said things would move faster than expected but it’s been about a month I think since that comment

Advertisement
Apparently ND thinks they have a $60 million year deal with NBC coming up and will stay Independent
Idk how ND stays independent now. Unless they don’t want to play any night games for the foreseeable future or be relegated to Peacock.

Just curious if there’s been any word lately @Cribby ? I know previous you said things would move faster than expected but it’s been about a month I think since that comment
Boar and myself both said the move could be fast as in leaving as early as 24-25. All I posted is it could be announced as early as before the season and as late as after the season. I never gave an exact time. There was still issues being worked out, I haven’t heard anything since.

Boar and myself both said the move could be fast as in leaving as early as 24-25. All I posted is it could be announced as early as before the season and as late as after the season. I never gave an exact time. There was still issues being worked out, I haven’t heard anything since.
These things never move that quickly and that's by design. A year or two away is very fast in the realignment world.

Advertisement
🐐
I do remember the 24-25 now that you bring it up again. I imagine now that the Big10 deal is done, if they have any interest in Miami some talks will be heating up again.

Advertisement
ND will not join the B1G because of Michigan! Some of you may want to look up the history between those two! Extremely ugly! I'd be shocked if ND joined that conference.

The ACC needs to get out of their **** deal or we need to bounce.. WTF is the ACC doing, do they not have any attorneys tryna GTFO of that crappy deal.. Do they even care if conference fails?!
What can they do at this point? Their only way out is to expand the conference to reopen the TV deal. Who do you bring in? ND is of course the no brainer, but they don't want in. The ACC has been trying to get them to go all in for years now.

Being that NBC is only offering ND $60 million a year instead of the $75 million they were seeking, they may actually decide to bite the bullet and join a conference. Since they were content with being at $75 million per year, money doesn't seem to be an overriding factor for them as each Big 10 school will be making $15 million more per year than they are after the roughly $10 million they get each year for ACC basketball & other sports. Perhaps the ACC can entice them by agreeing to stay at 8 conference games per season so ND could have more flexibility in scheduling than with the 9 mandated by the Big 10. EXTREMELY doubtful though.

The only other option is to expand with the best Big 12 schools they can find, but I'm not sure if the Big 12 schools would even move at this point. Plus, even if they did, I just don't see the ACC getting over $60 million per school.

What can they do at this point? Their only way out is to expand the conference to reopen the TV deal. Who do you bring in? ND is of course the no brainer, but they don't want in. The ACC has been trying to get them to go all in for years now.

Being that NBC is only offering ND $60 million a year instead of the $75 million they were seeking, they may actually decide to bite the bullet and join a conference. Since they were content with being at $75 million per year, money doesn't seem to be an overriding factor for them as each Big 10 school will be making $15 million more per year than they are after the roughly $10 million they get each year for ACC basketball & other sports. Perhaps the ACC can entice them by agreeing to stay at 8 conference games per season so ND could have more flexibility in scheduling than with the 9 mandated by the Big 10. EXTREMELY doubtful though.

The only other option is to expand with the best Big 12 schools they can find, but I'm not sure if the Big 12 schools would even move at this point. Plus, even if they did, I just don't see the ACC getting over $60 million per school.
And if the ACC expands that negates the GOR and then all the big names are free to leave. The only option is ESPN letting teams out of their GOR so they can go to the SEC and bolster their product against what the B1G has going, then work out something with the remaining ACC teams that don't want to get left behind. But again, if members leave that opens up anyone else to leave for the B1G. We need ESPN to have a reason to let teams out of the grant of rights and right now there really isn't one. This will probably come down to mediated negotiation and a big buyout paid.

And if the ACC expands that negates the GOR and then all the big names are free to leave. The only option is ESPN letting teams out of their GOR so they can go to the SEC and bolster their product against what the B1G has going, then work out something with the remaining ACC teams that don't want to get left behind. But again, if members leave that opens up anyone else to leave for the B1G. We need ESPN to have a reason to let teams out of the grant of rights and right now there really isn't one. This will probably come down to mediated negotiation and a big buyout paid.
And you know if ND did miraculously decide to join the ACC, the GOR would have to be extended as well for the smaller schools to sign on for the expansion. They wouldn't want ND, Miami, Clemson, FSU, or any other football school to decide to pick up and leave whenever they felt like it.

Advertisement
Back