Big 10 and PAC 12 v. ACC, SEC and Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did say cardiomyopathy caused clogged arteries. I suspect the clogged artery description was off. It's possible his enlarged heart was squeezing off flow requiring a stent.

*That's my 100% non medically trained guess. Perhaps one of our medical folks could explain it correctly.

Can only go by the words on the page, I can’t divine what actually happened. He’s also saying a bunch of people in the hospital had the same exact thing as him. A lot of people in that hospital with a clogged arteries caused by Covid. I just wish I could find this in the medical literature.

Advertisement
NBA and NHL have proven that the bubble works but as I alluded to in a previous post, it’s a bad look for the amateurism model. With the NIL already passed in some states, there’s a wave coming and the NCAA is gonna do all they can to slow it down. The bubble is in the kids best interest, not theirs.

Don't forget MLS too.

But this is also part of the problem, as the ONE SPORT that chose not to play in a bubble has had massive problems already (baseball), even though it is the most "socially-distanced" and least-contact team sport.

So with the NFL and NCAA not playing college football in a bubble...you have the riskiest combination of factors yet.

I'm not advocating cancellation, I'm just pointing out where there are legitimate health risks and concerns. I wish that the NCAA had come up with a better model 3 months ago that would have involved more testing, distance learning, and regional play. Put all the ACC teams in Charlotte for the fall, have all the players take remote classes for the fall, have a conference-only schedule in one city. SEC in Atlanta. Big 10 in Chicago. Big 12 in Dallas. Pac 12 in LA. Those 5 cities would have amazing health facility resources.

An infectious disease that there's absolutely zero proof they won't catch away from the field? Canceling football is the easy thing for university presidents because it shields them from the media scrutiny when players would catch it.

When the same players catch it away from the field, the university presidents won't be mentioned or held to any scrutiny. This is ALL ABOUT optics and the presidents wanting to avoid any scrutiny verus the presidents really caring about what's best for the players.

Advertisement
Don't forget MLS too.

But this is also part of the problem, as the ONE SPORT that chose not to play in a bubble has had massive problems already (baseball), even though it is the most "socially-distanced" and least-contact team sport.

So with the NFL and NCAA not playing college football in a bubble...you have the riskiest combination of factors yet.

I'm not advocating cancellation, I'm just pointing out where there are legitimate health risks and concerns. I wish that the NCAA had come up with a better model 3 months ago that would have involved more testing, distance learning, and regional play. Put all the ACC teams in Charlotte for the fall, have all the players take remote classes for the fall, have a conference-only schedule in one city. SEC in Atlanta. Big 10 in Chicago. Big 12 in Dallas. Pac 12 in LA. Those 5 cities would have amazing health facility resources.
Massive problems? 2 teams out of 30 missed a couple games and everyone is back playing. The biggest concern should be what happens when there is a positive test not if there will be positive tests. 18-22 year old college kids being asked to quarantine and not enjoy life is undoubtedly more risky than millionaire professional athletes.

Not all countries are the same.

There's the Asian strain and the European strain of the virus.

Some countries locked down, and others didn't.

Some countries ignored the WHO when they said the virus wasn't transmissible from person to person (namely South Korea because they didn't trust China), and most didn't.

Some countries have been wearing masks (U.S. has a higher percentage of people wearing masks than virtually every country), and other countries aren't.

There really isn't a consistent fact pattern other than the virus is disproportionately killing the elderly/infirm.

The median age of death for the virus is something like 82 years old.

More people over 100 have died of the virus than under 30.

We've tested more than every country on Earth, but the turnaround for the test is 24-48 hours. There are faster tests, but they're less accurate.

Based on everything we know, the most effective way to combat the virus is to quarantine the elderly and people with elevated risk, which we are already doing.

Anything past that is really just platitudes about "keeping people safe."
You're really trying to defend what we've done? We failed at prevention, leadership, politicization of masks, lack of PPE (still),opening to soon, etc. We are at polar opposites of any G7 country. We're #1 and our closest G7 partner is the UK at #14.

Reality check We were at the bottom for several months when the virus first came out when we needed it most. Now, we lead in total testing because other countries don't need to test as much since they've brought their cases down to the hundreds per day while we're in the thousands and we have over 2 MILLION ACTIVE cases. So, you have to test a **** of a lot more when you have a wide spread infection. Bragging on total tests is a really weak argument that is quite frankly embarrassing when you look at why we have so much testing and it's still not enough based on how widespread the virus is.

Advertisement
Guys want in let them play, if they don't let them opt out. Let it be big 12., SEC, & ACC play this year along with some group 5 teams lets roll.
Wonder if the Rock swoops in and signs these kids and starts up the xfl early after the higher ups have failed them.

Massive problems? 2 teams out of 30 missed a couple games and everyone is back playing. The biggest concern should be what happens when there is a positive test not if there will be positive tests. 18-22 year old college kids being asked to quarantine and not enjoy life is undoubtedly more risky than millionaire professional athletes.

Are you dopey?

The St. Louis Cardinals have not played since. The Braves have played 17 games. The Cardinals have played FIVE GAMES and have gone nearly 2 weeks without a game.

Yes, 2 teams had massive outbreaks, and there was already talk of shutting down the baseball season. The season may still last, but for a non-contact sport where guys play defense far away from one another, it is still significant.

Don't forget MLS too.

Thats the best option I’ve heard yet but we can’t get anything right. It’s almost like they don’t care.

Advertisement
You're really trying to defend what we've done? We failed at prevention, leadership, politicization of masks, lack of PPE (still),opening to soon, etc. We are at polar opposites of any G7 country. We're #1 and our closest G7 partner is the UK at #14.

Reality check We were at the bottom for several months when the virus first came out when we needed it most. Now, we lead in total testing because other countries don't need to test as much since they've brought their cases down to the hundreds per day while we're in the thousands and we have over 2 MILLION ACTIVE cases. So, you have to test a **** of a lot more when you have a wide spread infection. Bragging on total tests is a really weak argument that is quite frankly embarrassing when you look at why we have so much testing and it's still not enough based on how widespread the virus is.

He is also wrong about how long it takes to receive test results. My entire family and I had COVID. After multiple blunders, it took 14 days for my kids and me to receive the results.

Advertisement
He is also wrong about how long it takes to receive test results. My entire family and I had COVID. After multiple blunders, it took 14 days for my kids and me to receive the results.
Sucks for you guys. Everyone else got ot quicker..

Are you dopey?

The St. Louis Cardinals have not played since. Yes, 2 teams had massive outbreaks, and there was already talk of shutting down the baseball season. The season may still last, but for a non-contact sport where guys play defense far away from one another, it is still significant.
Lmao I dont watch baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back