Best remaining defenses on our schedule

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Scoring D Total D Passing D (Passing Efficiency) Rushing D 3rd Down D Redzone D Sacks Turnover Margin

Syracuse 55th (24.3 ppg) 38th (351.9 ypg) 66th (223 ypg) (62nd) 38th (128.9 ypg) 3rd (24%) 23rd (73%) 103rd (1.4) 82nd (-2)

UNC 96th (31.1 ppg) 113th (460.9 ypg) 79th (231.4 ypg) (97th) 114th (229.4 ypg) 71st (38%) 36th (77%) 51st (2.3) 92nd (-3)

VT 7th (13 ppg) 23rd (320.2 ypg) 37th (198.3 ypg) (21st) 31st (122.8 ypg) 5th (25%) T28th (75%) 64th (2) 47th (+1)

ND 15th (16.8 ppg) 48th (365.7 ypg) 78th (231.2 ypg) (27th) 42nd (134.5 ypg) 48th (35%) T28th (75%) 54th (2.2) 9th (+7)

UVA 30th (20 ppg) 18th (312.8 ypg) 10th (169.8 ypg) (5th) 53rd (143 ypg) 7th (27%) 1st (57%) 27th (2.7) 15th (+6)

Pitt 98th (31.4 ppg) 106th (444.7 ypg) 110th (268.6 ypg) (113th) 86th (176.1 ypg) 95th (42%) 42nd (78%) 111th (1.3) 53rd (+1)

Advertisement
Okay so the formatting blows and I'm not smart enough to fix it.

Looks like we should roll UNC and Pitt pretty easily. Cuse has a surprisingly good passing D and their 3rd down D scares me based on how terrible we've been there.

Actually by the numbers, the defense that scares me the most based on where we've been struggling is - wait for it - Virginia.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know how we're going to win another game. The only opponents we have a shot at beating, UNC and Pitt, are both on the road. We'll be lucky to be bowl eligible.

Just checking to see who's paying attention...
Go Canes!!! 1 game at a time.
Thanks for the info, OP!!

ND has played some of the worst offenses in the country. UGA wasn't rolling like they are now and it was Fromm's first start. Their defense is a joke and their offense is one dimensional. Watch USC run all over them this weekend.

VT is our toughest left on both sides of the ball and it's not close.

Advertisement
VT and Foster is definitely the toughest test we'll face all season. We're going to struggle to score in that game and the defense will need to come up huge.

VT is always a dogfight. Getting them at home helps, but as a team VT is probably our hardest game left.

I think we'll put up yards on ND, we just need to finish and put up 6 instead of 3 regularly.

Pitt and UNC are garbage right now, hopefully they stay that way when we play them.

I see one loss - two tops - left on the schedule.

VT is always a dogfight. Getting them at home helps, but as a team VT is probably our hardest game left.

I think we'll put up yards on ND, we just need to finish and put up 6 instead of 3 regularly.

Pitt and UNC are garbage right now, hopefully they stay that way when we play them.

What would need to happen for us to go undefeated in your opinion?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Beat everyone left on our schedule =P Seriously though, I think like Richt said we're learning how to win the close games right now and it's still a work in progress. It's unlikely we go undefeated, IMO - it's unlikely for any team - but for it to happen, Malik needs to keep taking care of the football, we HAVE to stay/get healthy, and our defense has to continue to improve. Beyond that we need to improve our 3rd down O and D both, and become more efficient in the redzone.

Play every starter with a heartbeat this week- cant let them start thinking upset again. Then send the backups to mop up UNC- they r garbage. Spend 2 weeks game planning Vag Tech - that's the coastal - no more saving players for later.
[]_[]

Beat everyone left on our schedule =P Seriously though, I think like Richt said we're learning how to win the close games right now and it's still a work in progress. It's unlikely we go undefeated, IMO - it's unlikely for any team - but for it to happen, Malik needs to keep taking care of the football, we HAVE to stay/get healthy, and our defense has to continue to improve. Beyond that we need to improve our 3rd down O and D both, and become more efficient in the redzone.
Preciate the response. I'm assuming the team you have us losing against is Notre Dame right? Strong OL, good rushing D, and the best turnover margin on D.

ND has played some of the worst offenses in the country. UGA wasn't rolling like they are now and it was Fromm's first start. Their defense is a joke and their offense is one dimensional. Watch USC run all over them this weekend.

VT is our toughest left on both sides of the ball and it's not close.

Agree with this. I think Syracuse poises some problems, but nothing too serious on defense.

There really is no argument here though - VT is without a doubt the most formidable defense left on our schedule; even compared to FSU whom we've already beaten.

Advertisement
VA Tech (13ppg) and ND (16ppg) are going to be the ones that give this team fits from an offensive (UM) perspective. They have the most talent on the defensive side of the ball, and they play a defensive style that is going to cause Miami headaches.

Considering ND doesn't count in conference, the real test left for Miami, from a talent perspective, is VT.

Football is about matchups.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

This. 100% this. I like our matchups and offensive weapons against every other defense we have left on our schedule. That being said we cannot keep starting slow on offense and waste red zone possessions especially when it's 1st and goal from the 5.

If I had to pick the toughest D we have left it has to be V Tech and Bud Foster. I will say I think we are learning a lot more about our OL and particularly the run game. They are getting better each game and its truly fun to watch. If we want to dominate again it starts there and like Richt said we need to start imposing our will on the opponent. Make them Quit!

Honestly, I don't know how we're going to win another game. The only opponents we have a shot at beating, UNC and Pitt, are both on the road. We'll be lucky to be bowl eligible.

Just checking to see who's paying attention...
Go Canes!!! 1 game at a time.
Thanks for the info, OP!!

Whoever negged you must have skipped the Sarcasm-101 class.

Advertisement
ND and VT are both very good well-coached defenses. That Wake Forest system works at Wake, and it works even better with a lot more talent at ND. I wouldn't mind Wimbush still being hobbled with that bad foot when we play them.

The Edmunds brothers are a nightmare for us. Can't let them start teeing off playing downhill on us.

Meanwhile, even Syracuse looks infinitely better on defense this year. They couldn't stop anything last year, but they pretty much choked Clemson off. Clemson really slept on them though. Beating someone by 54 the year prior is hard for players to forget. They thought they'd roll their hats out there and walk over Syracuse.

To be fair, Virginia Tech's defensive numbers have been largely inflated due to a weak schedule that features Old Dominion, East Carolina, Delaware, and Boston College.

Against the only two teams they've played currently in the top 50 they've given up 27.5 points per game, 462 ypg total offense (278.5 passing/183.5 rushing).

Notre Dame has a slightly more impressive resume having beaten Michigan State, but I agree with the earlier post, UGA hadn't gotten rolling good and true freshman Fromm was forced to make his collegiate debut in South Bend.

Perhaps. Yet I SEE-r an UNDEFEATED regular season! hUh. And U read it here first! dUh.

Advertisement
Back