Best player ever from the U?

To add a wrinkle to the topic

Willis McGahee had the single greatest season in UM history in 2002, IMO

Advertisement
Umm the Tackles,Solo Tackles are NFL records... 31 INTs is the 2nd most in NFL history for a LB.

Lewis had more Defensive MVPs,Pro Bowls,All Pro and Super Bowl MVPs as well. How would only an idiot think Lewis is the better overall player? Lewis was the consensus leader of that Ravens defense and is easily the greatest LB in NFL history.
I love Ray but Lawrence Taylor may have an argument here for best linebacker of all time. He certainly did the most to change the concept of linebacker (and left tackle). Both amazing, but played different positions ostensibly and accomplished different things as a result.

I love Ray but Lawrence Taylor may have an argument here for best linebacker of all time. He certainly did the most to change the concept of linebacker (and left tackle). Both amazing, but played different positions ostensibly and accomplished different things as a result.
LT was more of a Passing rushing OLB then a true LB.

Yeah I'm sure is....
He's telling you the truth. What y'all are both arguing makes no sense though. Other than in college obviously, there is no one without the other. They are BOTH arguably the BEST EVER at their positions. You're just arguing semantics when each is that good. Neither would have been as good as they were without the other. That's what it is to have real teammates. You embrace and support each other's strengths and weakness. By 2012 we were all a shadow of ourselves. Don't know how Chuck came into the discussion but I'm going back to sleep. Get along already damnit.

Advertisement
100% correct which makes it hard to say best linebacker of all time without throwing LT into the conversation.
Best MLB of all time? If its not Ray its because you are a bears fan (Butkus or Singletary) or Steelers fan (Lambert).

You're changing the narrative now. Lb is lb regardless of their role or responsibilities. As was stated, this is why it's always foolish to state such and such IS the best ever at their position. It's like someone using stats to say emmitt is clearly the best rb ever. Anyone with a brain knows that **** ain't true. Reality is it's a team game and stats can be somewhat misleading in that aspect. For me both are top 2 if not #1 at their positions ever. That's more than enough to know there's no reason to argue among each other.

Are you referring to the best player while at Miami or a player who had the best NFL career?

If it's NFL career then it's
1. Ray Lewis
2. Ed Reed
3. Frank Gore
4. Edgerin James
5. Michael Irvin.

If it's based of the U career

1. Sean Taylor
2. Ed Reed
3. Dan Morgan
4. Jerome Brown
5. Duke Johnson

How is Edge/Gore above Irvin, Jim Otto, Ted Hendricks, Sapp

both your Top 5's might be the worst I've seen

You're changing the narrative now. Lb is lb regardless of their role or responsibilities. As was stated, this is why it's always foolish to state such and such IS the best ever at their position. It's like someone using stats to say emmitt is clearly the best rb ever. Anyone with a brain knows that **** ain't true. Reality is it's a team game and stats can be somewhat misleading in that aspect. For me both are top 2 if not #1 at their positions ever. That's more than enough to know there's no reason to argue among each other.
I disagree about a LB is a LB. Taylor would be called an Edge in today's NFL. I also wasn't even born in the 80s so my list is based on players ive actually seen. I'm not going to put Hendricks on my list when I've never seen him play a down of football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How is Edge/Gore above Irvin, Jim Otto, Ted Hendricks, Sapp

both your Top 5's might be the worst I've seen
Frank Gore is 2nd in NFL history in Rushing Yards. EJ was one of the dominant running backs In his Era. Irvin was a great WR but he played with the best team of the 90s and he had a great QB and O-Line. It's really picking straws between them. You could label them in any order and have a good argument.

Frank Gore is 2nd in NFL history in Rushing Yards. EJ was one of the dominant running backs In his Era. Irvin was a great WR but he played with the best team of the 90s and he had a great QB and O-Line. It's really picking straws between them. You could label them in any order and have a good argument.

Frank Gore is third and no offense to Frank he's had one year at an All-Pro level which was only a 2nd team at that.Edge has 4 all pro seasons but going to the Cardinals was his worst move for his career where had average numbers rest of his career.

Jim Otto is considered to be the best or 2nd best center of all time

Who cares if Irvin played on some of the best teams in the NFL, saying it like he had nothing to do with. Fact is he made 3 all pro teams, won 3 championships, had 1600 yards receiving 25 years ago, mind boggling for that time

Frank Gore is third and no offense to Frank he's had one year at an All-Pro level which was only a 2nd team at that.Edge has 4 all pro seasons but going to the Cardinals was his worst move for his career where had average numbers rest of his career.

Jim Otto is considered to be the best or 2nd best center of all time

Who cares if Irvin played on some of the best teams in the NFL, saying it like he had nothing to do with. Fact is he made 3 all pro teams, won 3 championships, had 1600 yards receiving 25 years ago, mind boggling for that time
Gore also had 12 straight seasons with 1,000 Total yards or more.

Advertisement
I disagree about a LB is a LB. Taylor would be called an Edge in today's NFL. I also wasn't even born in the 80s so my list is based on players ive actually seen. I'm not going to put Hendricks on my list when I've never seen him play a down of football.
And who's fault is that if you make statements about the history of the game yet you're not up on the history you speak on... You can disagree if you'd like but the only distinction you made was to the position. Not the era or style of play. Lt played lb period. You look at it that way then alot of people who play or played a certain position would've played something different if the shoe was on the other foot.

And who's fault is that if you make statements about the history of the game yet you're not up on the history you speak on... You can disagree if you'd like but the only distinction you made was to the position. Not the era or style of play. Lt played lb period. You look at it that way then alot of people who play or played a certain position would've played something different if the shoe was on the other foot.
I'm sure you never watched Ted Hendricks either.... Lawrence Taylor was among the first 3-4 OLB in his time. Majority of the time 3-4 OLBs are coming off the edge. I don't view Taylor in the same category as your traditional 4-3 LBs. He's more off a pass rusher and Defensive end like a Von Miller.

In my lifetime, Ed Reed. If you've gotta count on one guy to make a defensive play to save your ***, he's the guy.

Advertisement
I'm sure you never watched Ted Hendricks either.... Lawrence Taylor was among the first 3-4 OLB in his time. Majority of the time 3-4 OLBs are coming off the edge. I don't view Taylor in the same category as your traditional 4-3 LBs. He's more off a pass rusher and Defensive end like a Von Miller.
Actually I definitely saw Ted. I spent plenty of days with Ted and his wife. But you're still not just clarifying you meant in a 4-3 or Mike capacity. Plenty of legit linebackers play in a 3-4. Still do. To insinuate lt couldn't do it all isn't accurate either. Regardless I ain't trying to take the focus off ray or anyone else y'all mentioned. It's simply clarifying that it's alot deeper than being able to say best ever bar none.

This is so stupid I honestly don't know where to begin....because you never saw him play, that nullifies it??.....Lol....CIS insanity at it's best...

No Lawrence Taylor was NOT....Hendricks was before him with the Colts, before going to the Raiders where he was a DE 100%....Stop the Buffoonery...

He's telling you the truth. What y'all are both arguing makes no sense though. Other than in college obviously, there is no one without the other. They are BOTH arguably the BEST EVER at their positions. You're just arguing semantics when each is that good. Neither would have been as good as they were without the other. That's what it is to have real teammates. You embrace and support each other's strengths and weakness. By 2012 we were all a shadow of ourselves. Don't know how Chuck came into the discussion but I'm going back to sleep. Get along already damnit.
@dsddcane...All I was implying was, that Ed was every bit as Valuable as Ray was....he seems to think otherwise which is absolute Nonsense...

Advertisement
Back