Best player ever from the U?

You can tell the age of fans in this thread.

For me:

1) Warren Sapp
2) Sean Taylor
3) Jerome Brown
4) Michael Irvin
5) Ed Reed

Honorable mention (candidates for top 10): Cortez Kennedy/Russell Maryland, Mckinnie (best ever season for OL here. Leon Searcy number 2 OL), Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, McGahee, Bennie Blades (as a collegiate I have Bennie Blades basically nearly equal to Ed Reed. Daryl Williams isn’t far behind), Reggie Wayne, pick a qb, and have to have Ted Hendricks and Jim Otto in there (maybe Otis Anderson, too).

If Rousseau has another double digit sack season and stays for his redshirt junior season, you may think he will be approaching top 10 status. But he has to approach Stubbs first (39.5 sacks!) to even merit any consideration.

This program has had some monsters.
I see some Hendricks-like qualities in how GR plays the position--his reach, flexibilty, balance, bend, etc.

Advertisement
OK, first off, I'm going to say something that hurts me to say b/c of my affinity of ST26:
2003 BCS bowl game: If Ed Reed makes that same interception, he doesn't get stripped by Maurice Clarett. ST26 is by far the most naturally gifted S we've ever seen, imo. Imo, he would've had a better overall career, statistcially, than ER20 b/c he was truly a manchild. BUT ER20's IQ and natural instincts for the game? Talk to any elite CFB or NFL coach and they'll tell you ER was second to none at baiting the best QBs to think a WR was wide open and once he got the ball in his hand, he goes from DB to RB immediately.

Now, as far as best at Miami? Imma have to go Dan Morgan, and the only reason why his career at Miami gets skipped, despite him being our most decorated player is b/c his NFL career was cut short due to injuries. But a healthy NFL Dan Morgan was a dominant Dan Morgan like he was at Miami. (See his most healthy campaign in 2004) I don't think Dan ever played more than 75% of any NFL season b/c he was always dealing w/ injuries and migraines. But that's why his career here get glossed over.
Tackling machine in that Super Bowl.

Canes from long ago who were elite. These are short films are from the NFL Top 100 players from a few years ago. The game has obviously changed a lot since that time. These guys played for the love of the game. They took an incredible beating.

Jim Otto

Ted Hendricks

Chuck Foreman (Topps Football Cards highlights; Chuck wasn't a top 100 NFL player, but he was a really good pro.)

Otto didn't have the great career in college that he did in the pros. I think he really rose to that rarefied pinnacle when concentrated on center with Raiders.

I wonder if Daytona Cane has an opinion. Her late husband started on the same offense as Otto in or around 1958.

Advertisement
Andy Crosland
ROTFLOL....Here's Ole Andy behind me and Reggie....
CAM00260.jpg

No.. '81" team was very underrated and some astute people in the UM world told me were the best team in the country that year. I think we lost two games by less than ten points.
Okay, the 81 team had an excellent defense that only gave up 13 pts., a game. They went on the road at #4 Texas and #16 Miss. St., where they lost by a combined 17-28. Miami outplayed both and were constantly robbed of big plays by the "bubba refs".

The supporting cast Kelly had was not great. The rushing game generated 3.0 yds. Per carry and the wideouts were average at best with Rodrigue and Brodsky. On top of that Kelly was under pressure a lot. If he had a little bit better support on offense we could have been undefeated. Unfortunately, we were on probation and couldn't go to a bowl game.

There you have it.

Tackling machine in that Super Bowl.

Still an NFL record.

I’ve been wanting the next Morgan here for a while. McCarthy was pretty good here, as well. But no one can tell me that if Dan was healthy in the NFL, he would’ve seen at least 6 PBs in his career. The guy was all football.

Advertisement
Hendicks is really #1, and it probably isn't close.

Ed Reed is probably #2. Sean Taylor would be close to Reed if it weren't for the strip.

Jim Kelly is 4th.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There are many good choices, but Ted Hendricks was a terror in college, and then in the NFL. He also was an integral contributor on not 1, not 2, not 3, but FOUR Super Bowl winners.

Advertisement
No.. '81" team was very underrated and some astute people in the UM world told me were the best team in the country that year. I think we lost two games by less than ten points.
It was two games with phantom holding penalties on scoring plays in each game. The one against Texas was particularly egregious. At a minimum you could say we should have been 10-0-1.

Both Reed and Taylor were tremendous players. I’ve seen the Sean Taylor strip in the Fiesta mentioned a couple times in this thread. Definitely sucked, but why bring that up when Ed Reed and every other player in the history of sports, including Michael Jordan, has a bad play in their career? Most have many. Ed Reed slowed down which caused him to have a bad angle and led to Chafie Fields’ game winning score against Penn State. Doesn’t take away from the fact Reed is an all-time great player.

Advertisement
Back