Best HS FB Player You PERSONALLY Saw Play

My list is less impressive since I’m from Kenosha WI but I’d go with:
1. Melvin Gordon. Guy was on another level, he destroyed my team (his cross town rivals) multiple times.
2. John Clay

Advertisement
My list is less impressive since I’m from Kenosha WI but I’d go with:
1. Melvin Gordon. Guy was on another level, he destroyed my team (his cross town rivals) multiple times.
2. John Clay

Was just watching Clay highlights this morning. I remember thinking he was the next Jamal Lewis.

Speaking of; One Saturday me and my friend ride out to his dads house in frostproof. We are hanging out at the park with some other dudes from the neighborhood. Nickell shows up a lil later because he was at uf spring game. We all talk about some of his choices and I asked him about Miami, and he claimed our coaches thought he was to frail. They were holding off to see if he gained some more weight.

Lived in PC (Lakeland) for 2 years, I was more spooked living there than in Miami...cats there just didn't give AF.

LOL...tripped me out when I first got there cats were listening to slowed down music...WTF.

Good times nevertheless, made some good money there.

I'm from New Mexico so I didn't get to see many any of you would recognize. But the best two I ever played against or watched would probably be Bobby Newcombe I played against (Nebraska) & Brian Urlacher (UNM) I watched play a few times. Only saw Urlacher once in high school, but watched him play a few times in college. Met him a few times as well. He was a pretty cool guy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jedi....Two words Bruh.....Freddie Miles....

Played against Miles and saw him play one year in optimist ball as I played on the team behind them, and Miles was indeed a beast.....but from what I saw on video of Gore, I would rank him over Miles for reasons given by previous posters. What Gore did on that Gables squad, with not much of a supporting cast was impressive.

Lived in PC (Lakeland) for 2 years, I was more spooked living there than in Miami...cats there just didn't give AF.

LOL...tripped me out when I first got there cats were listening to slowed down music...WTF.

1527461334091.jpeg

Fr fr. It's the wild lands.

I saw Freddie Miles take a pitch-out (back in 1979) and go 85yds Faster than I've ever seen anyone run in my life....
I saw Jammi German (for 2yrs at FM High) make opposing Defenses look like 8yr olds....I'm talking Absolute Destruction of opposing DBs...and STs...(Btw...He was Fls 1st Mr. Florida Football Award Winner)

Ha! German was also USA Today national defensive player of the year. As you probably know, lots of issues off the field. Could have been a great one. He didn't do squat in college and still went in the 3rd round. Catch this old school highlight reel.

Another one that doesn't get a lot of recognition from that era in SWFL is Greg Spires. He was a 240 lb linebacker and running back in high school who ran over and through people. 240 lbs as a RB in the early 90's was nuts. He went to fswho and had a long NFL career with the Patriots and Bucs as a DE.

Advertisement
This question is being answered more or less on a local basis when talking about a high school player. My choice for Dade County is Larry Rentz Coral Gables, HS 1964

Advertisement
Played against Russell Evans and Tommie Frazier watched Chris Rainey
I still have VHS tapes of some of Russell Evens games in hs. My dad and a lot of people say to the day Russell Evens was the best qb they have ever seen.

Russell was running the streets to hard though. Use to show up to practices and games high and drunk. Was a beast on the hardwood also. Still holds the county record for most points. Nobody would touch him because his grades amd attitude. Ended up at a joco in Mississippi. His uncle Arthur Cox played with San Diego and Atlanta...

Lol I slow all my music down. Tripped my out when I went off to college and linked up with some dudes from broward and Dade. They started playing music from DJ Chipmunk and I was like wtf is this lol. At least we can vibe to slowed down music. But you cant even bob your head to music thats sped up...

Advertisement
Back