Best and Worst O Lineman in Canes' History

Chris Myers was a 2 time Pro bowler, Leon Searcy and Bryant McKinnie only had one selection each. I'd still say Leon Searcy for the best though.

We don't have a worst.
KC Jones was awesome here and so was Fat Boy Rich Mercier.

Advertisement
D2v1c1FWwAAf6FQ.jpg
KC was a bad ***!

Y’all saying zions going to the nfl. WHAT
Facts are facts I cannot argue this , but Zion is working the blind side against top flight DE monsters with rotating D schemes with LB and corners off the edge camouflage blitz packages his mind must be freaking for a young linemen seeking right blocking schemes.

I cannot tell you how many times myself playing center got to the line of scrimmage looked up and saw a DB's foot right at the line and the MLB is off to the side and my mind went WTF and the QB is barking signals and I guessed the snap count and went with the most popular he used.

TOUGH for a freshmen no matter how good .

GOCANES
I agree, Im sure he’s panicking on a lot of snaps being on the blind side with more pressure. That’s why it makes less sense they keep him there. Wouldn’t you want your best option on the Left. I wouldn’t consider cmu’s or Unc’s DE’s to be top flight, if that was the case then we should have seen more development of his technique going against stronger DE’s. Zion got beat really bad a couple times against Virginia he opened up to quickly and looks lost out of his stance.

By the time he picks his head up the DE is already around him and he’s behind trying to grab him and then somebody else has to bail him out, and misses on there assignment. It’s a domino effect and how there’s not a better solution is sad, or sad they don’t have the balls to pull him.

Advertisement
The Canes OL is getting a lot of discussion and rightfully so.

So just for fun let's do this ... Name your pick for the BEST and WORST O lineman in Cane's history .

BEST --- Bryant McKinnie WORST --- Zion Nelson

hqdefault.jpg
And you think this is "fun"? Young man is giving his best in a tough situation. You are an a$$ for starting a thread like this. Welcome to the ignore list. Try to spend some time out of your third grade classroom

Tyler McMeans was a huge disappointment.

Jim Otto. Yeah, I know he wasn't a huge award winner here, but he was perhaps the best center to ever play in the NFL.

Advertisement
Zev was a trip. We had some presentation in some class, and he did his in four languages, with English being his fourth best. Then you had Ricky Perry, who was so big that they had to redesign the shower in his dorm room in Pearson.
Haha Ricky Perry was always still in his stance after the ball was snapped.

So just for fun let's do this ... Name your pick for the BEST and WORST O lineman in Cane's history .

hqdefault.jpg
IMO this is really, really unfair to Zion, a true frosh project who is out there trying and taking lumps because the rest of our tackles are apparently WORSE than him (and our staff is too stubborn to put Scaife at LT). He didn’t ask to get thrown to the wolves as a true frosh. He signed up to be developed. His failures are on our current and past staffs.

I have no idea how you judge bad. Never played? Why is Zion worse than his backups?

Our best: easy top 4: McKinnie, Otto, Harrah, Searcy.

Myself have always been intrigued with the center position in my book the most athletic position in the front. They call line play , they pull, there assignments are multilevel even DB blocking yes it's true DB.

Now here's one Jim Otto NFL HOF class all alone

But KC Jones probably the quickest most aggressive chase your *** down center.

GOCANES
Yep. Otto was a first ballot nfl HOFer. KC Jones was the guy Kehoe always said was the best center he’d had, iirc. We’ve had good centers. Romberg won the Rimmington, Rakoczy was good also. McDermott was a good center too. And if we’d put him there, Linder would have been.

Advertisement
Still surprised no John Rochford or Xavier Shannon mentions. Remember Xavier’s shotgun snaps???

@mdpcane love yah brother your my starting MLB you call my D none better in battle with intense burning FIRE of Cane then "U" , but I got to call a 30 second time out.
Not quite sure of this ZION call out , I cannot leave this kid he came to us when no one else would to take a shot at a level of play he's never experience I cannot abandon him.
Zion is like a blade being hammer on the anvil of fire beaten into something that has shown it's face yet the beating continues but real soon a BEAST will show up with the attitude of I WON'T TAKE IT ANY MORE THE LINE HAS BEEN DRAWN.

I'll say it here Zion will be playing in the NFL A fire burns in this kid he keeps his mouth shut and plays hard.

Zion is being nice till it's time not to be nice......brother this can isn't open yet but it's soon to be.

Now get back in there an knock someone lights out .

GOCANES

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Yep. Otto was a first ballot nfl HOFer. KC Jones was the guy Kehoe always said was the best center he’d had, iirc. We’ve had good centers. Romberg won the Rimmington, Rakoczy was good also. McDermott was a good center too. And if we’d put him there, Linder would have been.
Otto also played 2 ways at the U. He was also a linebacker and rarely came out of a game.

hqdefault.jpg
Cool, so go ahead a bash the 18 year old kid for being the worst O-Lineman in Canes history all you want, it is very manly of you, and I am certain you now feel much better about yourself, but if he is the worse, what about the guys that he beat out for the starting job? I know, probably far too much logic for you to grasp. My apologies.

Otto was a very good player at UM, but not a great one. He became a great one with an extra 60 lbs in the AFL. He's an all-timer in the pros, but people assume he was great in college. He was one of my favorites, just not a great college player.

Advertisement
Back