Been pestering

this is completely false. he took Louisville football from C-USA to the Big East and had them ranked #2 in the country within a decade. that's the equivalent to Appalachian State being in the ACC right now and a Top 5 ranked team. what he did was almost impossible.
You're willing to wait a decade to be relevant? Next AD moves us from ACC to SEC within 10 years and you will be happy?

Advertisement
I get that, but LSU doesn't strike me as a dysfunctional athletic department that's afraid to fire someone so they move him around for 14 years.

Nunez wouldn't be on my short list, but he's better than Hernandez and if we get a competent person in charge of football, we might never hear his name again.

All of this. I'm looking forward to the days when nobody has an effing clue, or cares, who the athletics director is. Get the right AD and, if necessary, the right guy in charge of the football program, and fade back into anonymity.

Advertisement
Gonna be real here. They released another update on 247 and it essentially hints that we hired Mario but Mario isn’t a **** bag like Kelly and isn’t going to leave his kids hanging. He’s wants no distractions on this conference game and that game is extremely important to them and us. Here that portion.

- There is a lot of impatience as to why Miami is still operating in the manner of keeping Manny Diaz as the head coach while actively looking for an upgrade and we get it. To me, this boils down to operating in a manner in which your top target would not get turned off. Again, Mario Cristobal has a game to coach this week with Oregon squaring off against Utah in the Pac-12 Championship Game on Friday. If parting ways with Manny Diaz could potentially make things awkward for Cristobal with having to deal with the speculation of the open Miami job in the public in the lead up to this week’s game, you operate in this manner. If that potential situation turns off the Oregon coach, you operate in this manner.

- Many have pointed out that Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly left his position, going to LSU, when the Irish technically have a chance at the College Football Playoff, so why would Miami struggle to pull Mario Cristobal during this time. I’d argue the situations are a little different for a number of reasons: 1). Cristobal’s regular season is not over. Kelly’s is finished. 2). With the move, Kelly is telling us that he believes the chance of Notre Dame ending up in this year’s College Football Playoff are extremely slim, so why not make the move now and recruit? 3.) Cristobal and Kelly are simply different personalities. The personality of every coach is unique and the approach they all take with a potential coaching search is different. If Mario Cristobal wants to finish out his regular season before the thought of potentially exploring any options, that has to be respected by Miami (and any other school).

Also Zo or Gino won’t be AD. Only Associate AD if that. Here’s that snippet

- I am still under the impression that the possibility of former players like Alonzo Highsmith and/or Gino Torretta joining Miami’s athletic department would be in an Associate Athletic Director type of role, not as the Athletic Director. Both Highsmith and Torretta are viewed as people that would be highly valued inside the building.

Advertisement
Man alot of these long threads are gold! Few rebuttals to what I have read..

*Count me in the group of people who had no idea who the **** Tom Jurich was until his name was brought up on here. At this point, just get me an AD with experience, respect of the administration, and can CLOSE on a great HC for football then he can concern himself with the rest of the sports orbit at UM. For USC to quietly lay in the shadows and close on Lincoln Riley shows me they have a great AD. I dont care what else he does for the rest of the sports. Thats big time. Thats what we need.

*I am really worried about the "Mario is Plan A, B, C, D, E, etc" strategy. We are giving him WAY too much leverage. Yeah we are desperate but we arent below the poverty line either. We cant allow him to drag this out as long as he wants. People keep saying be patient buts thats not how college football works anymore. Every big time program is identifying who they want, going after them IMMEDIATELY, and getting that HC on the first private jet to their location. None of this "Let me coach my last game and let you know" BS. Thats how you look up and we are stuck with some lame duck hire. No way I let Mario drag this out past Sunday afternoon. He doesnt commit? Go to Plan B which is Lane and lets hit the recruiting circuit.

*Lastly, I am starting to believe this whole "Manny Diaz Sr has alot of pull around Hecht" stuff. Why the **** hasnt Manny Jr been fired yet?? Why is he still out offering scholarships?? Why is Frenk and whoever his henchmen are afraid to fire him? YEAH..AFRAID!! Dont give me the "we are waiting for the AD to come in and evaluate him" nonsense. Manny needs to be FIRED!! NOW! This is a circus! Its like Frenk and crew are afraid to upset Manny Sr so they dont want the blame to be on them for firing Manny Jr so they will lay the blame on the AD. That is crazy and cowardly and I am starting to have a real bad feeling about how this will end. (And dont give me the "we are waiting for Wednesday for the buyout to decrease" nonsense. Stop. Thats crazy too.)

If they were set on Zo/Gino as being in charge of football, maybe the bigger boys had no interest.
I agree on Rad. Think he got lucky personally. If Zo was a hold up, you kick that can down the road. If Mario is your guy, make that the terms & figure out the rest later. My guess is it wasn't Zo.. I think we aimed small or went for Miami ties.

Advertisement
I agree on Rad. Think he got lucky personally. If Zo was a hold up, you kick that can down the road. If Mario is your guy, make that the terms & figure out the rest later. My guess is it wasn't Zo.. I think we aimed small or went for Miami ties.
In any case, this is the most exciting time since Golden got the boot.

Well, and that 15 minutes after Richt retired.

Advertisement
Do you have internet where you live? Check out New Mexico's football and basketball records BEFORE he took over and then AFTER. Then realize it took this guy THREE YEARS to fire the football coach.

The simple fact our administration thinks it's a good hire is another **** good reason why once you get beyond the actual stats.
Do you have any clue what occurred in the years since he took over?
2018, - Bob Davie was suspended 30 days for covering up for players criminal activity
2019 - Davie had a heart attack and had health issues the whole year.
2020 - Covid happened and they played 0 home games

It's not always so simple as going by records plus it's New Mexico not exactly a mecca for Football.

I get that, but LSU doesn't strike me as a dysfunctional athletic department that's afraid to fire someone so they move him around for 14 years.

Nunez wouldn't be on my short list, but he's better than Hernandez and if we get a competent person in charge of football, we might never hear his name again.
Valid point on LSU, but someone could have said something similar about Blake at Miami in his role as the mythical fundraiser. I don't know. I think your last point is the big one. We likely narrowed the pool significantly by having Zo or someone similar over football. It would likely be a totally different group of interested parties if not for that.

In any case, this is the most exciting time since Golden got the boot.

Well, and that 15 minutes after Richt retired.
No it isn’t

This university has proven time and again it will make the wrong decisions…. For 1,000 different reasons

I get the waiting game for Mario. It’s a calculated risk… but still probably the best option

What makes zero sense is how the AD hiring and firing process has gone.

Gonna be real here. They released another update on 247 and it essentially hints that we hired Mario but Mario isn’t a **** bag like Kelly and isn’t going to leave his kids hanging. He’s wants no distractions on this conference game and that game is extremely important to them and us. Here that portion.

- There is a lot of impatience as to why Miami is still operating in the manner of keeping Manny Diaz as the head coach while actively looking for an upgrade and we get it. To me, this boils down to operating in a manner in which your top target would not get turned off. Again, Mario Cristobal has a game to coach this week with Oregon squaring off against Utah in the Pac-12 Championship Game on Friday. If parting ways with Manny Diaz could potentially make things awkward for Cristobal with having to deal with the speculation of the open Miami job in the public in the lead up to this week’s game, you operate in this manner. If that potential situation turns off the Oregon coach, you operate in this manner.

- Many have pointed out that Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly left his position, going to LSU, when the Irish technically have a chance at the College Football Playoff, so why would Miami struggle to pull Mario Cristobal during this time. I’d argue the situations are a little different for a number of reasons: 1). Cristobal’s regular season is not over. Kelly’s is finished. 2). With the move, Kelly is telling us that he believes the chance of Notre Dame ending up in this year’s College Football Playoff are extremely slim, so why not make the move now and recruit? 3.) Cristobal and Kelly are simply different personalities. The personality of every coach is unique and the approach they all take with a potential coaching search is different. If Mario Cristobal wants to finish out his regular season before the thought of potentially exploring any options, that has to be respected by Miami (and any other school).

Also Zo or Gino won’t be AD. Only Associate AD if that. Here’s that snippet

- I am still under the impression that the possibility of former players like Alonzo Highsmith and/or Gino Torretta joining Miami’s athletic department would be in an Associate Athletic Director type of role, not as the Athletic Director. Both Highsmith and Torretta are viewed as people that would be highly valued inside the building.
Given the silence and timing of all of this, it's more than obvious that Mario is the guy and is just waiting until after the Pac-12 champ game this weekend to leave.

Advertisement
Back