Been pestering

Advertisement
No disrespect to OP but your track record as an insider leaves a little bit to be desired.

Remember your Charlie Strong-Clint Hurtt as next combo here not long ago?

View attachment 163823

View attachment 163824
Zo, Charlie, and Clint were all part of a plan at 1 point. Charlie getting in trouble put the stop on that 1. This was during the should we get an NFL guy talk....I took my L on that one willingly.

If Zo ended up here, Clint still would have came as well.

If Tom Jurich's name had never been brought up, this group would be wetting themselves at the thought of Nunez. He had 14 years at LSU as an assistant, then another 4 years as an actual AD at NM St. Blake James had no AD experience, Nunez does, lots of it. Highsmith has no experience running a college athletics department, Nunez certainly does.
Respectfully, I disagree. Blake James can say to his next interviewer that he has 7-8 years as an AD say a power five school, does that now make him competent? Actual AD experience should be a baseline experience, not a feather in the cap.

I think some part of the AD resume is overrated. If your teams win, you will fundraise fine, and there is an element of luck in every hire. Jurich did seem to have a good eye in the hires, but his biggest appeal to me is he seems like a big picture, visionary guy who sees where the landscape is moving. This was evidenced by moving up two conferences during his tenure. In the coming years, we will need someone like that at the helm.

Last edited:
I can already see meathead Torreta up on the stand telling the media that "We're proud of what Manny has built here and want to see it through"
source.gif

He’s at NMST; a perennial doormat with little resources. Not defending the guy but many things need to be looked at in the proper context. I’d say it’s much more challenging managing an AD in a school like that then somewhere with an unlimited budget.

Too bad. Either tangible results or gtfo. We’re better not play that game

Advertisement
If Tom Jurich's name had never been brought up, this group would be wetting themselves at the thought of Nunez. He had 14 years at LSU as an assistant, then another 4 years as an actual AD at NM St. Blake James had no AD experience.
Nah mane. Can't get hyped about a guy with 4 years of AD experience at New Mexico, of all places, with completely sub-par results. The BJ part shows you're settling. He isn't the standard. We have to stop aiming so low.

Respectfully, I disagree. Blake James can say to his next employee that he has 7-8 years as an AD say a power five school, does that now make him competent? Actual AD experience should be a baseline experience, not a feather in the cap.

I think some part of the AD resume is overrated. If your teams win, you will fundraiser fine, and there is an element of luck in every hire. Jurich did seem to have a good eye in the hires, but his biggest appeal to me is he seems like a big picture, visionary guy who sees where the landscape is moving. This was evidenced by moving up two conferences during his tenure. In the coming years, we will need someone like that at the helm.
I get that, but LSU doesn't strike me as a dysfunctional athletic department that's afraid to fire someone so they move him around for 14 years.

Nunez wouldn't be on my short list, but he's better than Hernandez and if we get a competent person in charge of football, we might never hear his name again.

I understand the nuance of the argument. Most fans and even media do not. College football is an optics game. If we go to market with some AD from NM the same week that other schools are flexing their muscles, how do you think that will be perceived? Probably like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Add on top the leaks and the disorganization on our side compared to the absolute world class, buttoned up ops at LSU and USC and it fully crystallizes how big of a **** show we are.

After months of searching LSU was dumb enough to pay $15 freaking million in a panic purchase after getting used by Lincoln Riley

Advertisement
Nah mane. Can't get hyped about a guy with 4 years of AD experience at New Mexico, of all places, with completely sub-par results. The BJ part shows you're settling. He isn't the standard. We have to stop aiming so low.
I'm not settling. I haven't said he's my choice at all. I just said he's not bad enough to open up a vein over.

We absolutely could do better. But the BOT is the problem in this case. Jurich would've been a home run hire who could train someone up over the next 5 years.

If Tom Jurich's name had never been brought up, this group would be wetting themselves at the thought of Nunez. He had 14 years at LSU as an assistant, then another 4 years as an actual AD at NM St. Blake James had no AD experience, Nunez does, lots of it. Highsmith has no experience running a college athletics department, Nunez certainly does.
200 (3).gif

Advertisement
I'm not settling. I haven't said he's my choice at all. I just said he's not bad enough to open up a vein over. We absolutely could do better. But the BOT is the problem in this case. Jurich would've been a home run hire who could train someone up over the next 5 years.
He's average enough for me to open a vein for. That's the problem.

Jurich has always seemed like a pipe dream.. but we can't land a guy like Mark Coyle? Who would rather live in Minnesota than Miami? It doesn't have to be Rhoades to be better than Nunez.

You're taking what I said a little too literally, or maybe I didn't explain myself better.

What I mean is, of course the leader of the program is important, but ****ting all over this guy is very short-sighted because he, himself, is not what's going to dictate success. Who he hires is what's most important. And just because he's at New Mexico has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not he can hire qualified candidates. Yes, I, like you, want the best and most qualified candidate. But we just fired Blake, who had absolutely no AD experience. It was a disaster. This dude IS an athletic director. It's not like he's some green candidate with no experience in the job.

Also, I'll bet 99% of this board couldn't name 5 ADs across the country. It's a mainly anonymous job to the common fan. But they could sure as **** name 5 football coaches. That's what's important here. Scott Stricklin, who many think is a good AD, had 6 years as Mississippi State as his only AD experience prior to Florida. I'm just saying that a lot of these guys work at smaller schools before they get bigger jobs. I would love Tom Jurich, as most of you would, but I don't think it's reason to throw ourselves on the floor and kick and scream if someone like Nunez got the job.

To me, what's important is what Nunez, or anyone else does, once they do get the job.

If he comes in and says he wants to give Manny Diaz another year, and extends Larranaga, and tells everyone how great DiMare is, then he's an abject failure before he even starts. But there's no guarantee any of that happens. If he comes in and immediately fires Manny and gets Mario Cristobal to come here, then he's done more in a day than Blake did in a decade. So again, who does the AD bring? His leadership is important, certainly. But ultimately he'll be judged by his actions once he's here, and I don't think that hiring someone like Nunez would be a death knell to the program. Just my $0.02.
Finally, a reasonable, well thought out post in this thread.

Advertisement
Jurich cared about basketball and its took years for Louisville football to be relevant.
this is completely false. he took Louisville football from C-USA to the Big East and had them ranked #2 in the country within a decade. that's the equivalent to Appalachian State being in the ACC right now and a Top 5 ranked team. what he did was almost impossible.

He's average enough for me to open a vein for. That's the problem.

Jurich has always seemed like a pipe dream.. but we can't land a guy like Mark Coyle? Who would rather live in Minnesota than Miami? It doesn't have to be Rhoades to be better than Nunez.
I completely agree. As of right now, we don't know who. But if they were set on Zo/Gino as being in charge of football, maybe the bigger boys had no interest.

Jurich/Rhoades/Coyle would've been great choices. I'm a little less high on Radakovich simply because Clemson tried cutting some sports they shouldn't have and Dabo was there before he got there.

You're taking what I said a little too literally, or maybe I didn't explain myself better.

What I mean is, of course the leader of the program is important, but ****ting all over this guy is very short-sighted because he, himself, is not what's going to dictate success. Who he hires is what's most important. And just because he's at New Mexico has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not he can hire qualified candidates. Yes, I, like you, want the best and most qualified candidate. But we just fired Blake, who had absolutely no AD experience. It was a disaster. This dude IS an athletic director. It's not like he's some green candidate with no experience in the job.

Also, I'll bet 99% of this board couldn't name 5 ADs across the country. It's a mainly anonymous job to the common fan. But they could sure as **** name 5 football coaches. That's what's important here. Scott Stricklin, who many think is a good AD, had 6 years as Mississippi State as his only AD experience prior to Florida. I'm just saying that a lot of these guys work at smaller schools before they get bigger jobs. I would love Tom Jurich, as most of you would, but I don't think it's reason to throw ourselves on the floor and kick and scream if someone like Nunez got the job.

To me, what's important is what Nunez, or anyone else does, once they do get the job.

If he comes in and says he wants to give Manny Diaz another year, and extends Larranaga, and tells everyone how great DiMare is, then he's an abject failure before he even starts. But there's no guarantee any of that happens. If he comes in and immediately fires Manny and gets Mario Cristobal to come here, then he's done more in a day than Blake did in a decade. So again, who does the AD bring? His leadership is important, certainly. But ultimately he'll be judged by his actions once he's here, and I don't think that hiring someone like Nunez would be a death knell to the program. Just my $0.02.
This!

Advertisement
Back