Beckham's New Miami MLS Stadium Site

Nobody has proposed a football sized venue (45K+) yet. All of the real talk has been focused on a 20 to 25K soccer stadium. If there was a proposal for a 45K stadium configured for football - that means when the blimp shows a shot of the stadium on game day, everyone thinks American football, not soccer, I'd be jumping for Joy - she moved away several years ago, but I still think of her. You get my drift. Give me a real viable football venue and I'll get excited.

Advertisement
Nobody has proposed a football sized venue (45K+) yet. All of the real talk has been focused on a 20 to 25K soccer stadium. If there was a proposal for a 45K stadium configured for football - that means when the blimp shows a shot of the stadium on game day, everyone thinks American football, not soccer, I'd be jumping for Joy - she moved away several years ago, but I still think of her. You get my drift. Give me a real viable football venue and I'll get excited.

I'll take my chances with the view of Beckham stadium vs. the blimp picture of hurricane fans dressed as orange seats at SLS.

I'll take my chances with the view of Beckham stadium vs. the blimp picture of hurricane fans dressed as orange seats at SLS.
But, nobody is proposing a stadium for football. They are proposing a small soccer stadium.

But, nobody is proposing a stadium for football. They are proposing a small soccer stadium.

Not arguing on that. But I don't use the boat slip, the park or the museum, so I'm not going to veto a mini soccer stadium.

Don't tell me Miami doesn't have people who can donate, not even mentioning the former Miami players, People who Miami could try to get donations from, how about:
1. Micky Arison, who went to UM (Didn't graduate), is worth like $5B, and owns the dam Heat!
2. Drew Rosenhaus, Probably the biggest NFL sports agent. Grad of UM, I think like 20% of all his clients are UM alums.
3. Bakr bin Laden, went to UM, apart of the Bin Laden family, which owns the largest construction company in the world.
4. Lyor Cohen, graduated from UM, woth about $75M
5. James Greco, Pres/CEO of Sbarros. got his Juris Doctor at UM. **** have him donate and then we put in a Sbarro's in the stadium.
6. Pedro Fabregas, on UM board of Overseers, he's CEO of Envoy Air.
7. Maurice Greenberg, Graduated from UM and was apart of Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity. I think he's worth $3.2B
8. Omar Soliman, graduated from UM, currently on the 30under30 CEO's list.
9. Rohan Marley, Son of Bob Marley, Played LB for UM.

Advertisement

I'm not holding my breath on us moving out of SLS but it does seem like Beckham's group is more fixated on knowing what land they'll be dealing with before deciding on the actual venue size. The boat slip site doesn't preclude a larger venue per that Barry Jackson article I posted earlier. That rendering of the smaller soccer only venue on the boat slip site was produced at the last minute and not really indicative of anything that'll actually be built.

Don't tell me Miami doesn't have people who can donate, not even mentioning the former Miami players, People who Miami could try to get donations from, how about:
1. Micky Arison, who went to UM (Didn't graduate), is worth like $5B, and owns the dam Heat!
2. Drew Rosenhaus, Probably the biggest NFL sports agent. Grad of UM, I think like 20% of all his clients are UM alums.
3. Bakr bin Laden, went to UM, apart of the Bin Laden family, which owns the largest construction company in the world.
5. James Greco, Pres/CEO of Sbarros. got his Juris Doctor at UM. **** have him donate and then we put in a Sbarro's in the stadium.
7. Maurice Greenberg, Graduated from UM and was apart of Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity. I think he's worth $3.2B

Do you think UM has not tried to get donations from these guys already?

Well they probably have, but I actually think it is harder to get donations for academic reasons when the donor can't really "see" what their money is getting. That is why I think if UM does eventually begin to raise money to build a stadium, they will succeed. If they actually set out to build a stadium in Tropical park, which is ONLY like 3 miles from campus, I think people would donate. I imagine they could build a stadium for about $250M-$350M. It's might take a few years, but that really wouldn't be a problem. I just wish they could start the process of really trying to get a new stadium sooner rather than later. There's nothing wrong with starting to get donations and marking them only for a new stadium. Maybe start out raising money just to buy the land necessary (Tropical Park), and then go forward after a couple years with planning the stadium/parking/raising money. Even if it takes 5-10 years to get all the money they need and start building, it will be good. I honestly think most people are angry that there just isn't a plan.

Well they probably have, but I actually think it is harder to get donations for academic reasons when the donor can't really "see" what their money is getting. That is why I think if UM does eventually begin to raise money to build a stadium, they will succeed. If they actually set out to build a stadium in Tropical park, which is ONLY like 3 miles from campus, I think people would donate. I imagine they could build a stadium for about $250M-$350M. It's might take a few years, but that really wouldn't be a problem. I just wish they could start the process of really trying to get a new stadium sooner rather than later. There's nothing wrong with starting to get donations and marking them only for a new stadium. Maybe start out raising money just to buy the land necessary (Tropical Park), and then go forward after a couple years with planning the stadium/parking/raising money. Even if it takes 5-10 years to get all the money they need and start building, it will be good. I honestly think most people are angry that there just isn't a plan.

+1000000

I am ready to donate. I already let Blake know that i have 1k just waiting for him and the munchkin to say when.

If you guys are serious i suggest you do the same. Let them know we are all just waiting for them to pull their heads out their asses.

Last edited:
Advertisement

There are a lot more than that too (extreme high net worth, over $50,000,000)

10. The Rock,
11. Ralph Alvarez (Former COO of McDonalds)
12. David Komansky (Former CEO of Merrill Lynch)
13. Gloria Estefan (net worth of over $500 Million)
14. Roy Black (Famous Attorney)

Athletes with a High Net Worth (over $15,000,000)

Jon Vilma
Pat Burrell
Andre Johnson
Jon Beason
Vince Wilfork
Eric Winston
Michael Irvin
Clinton Portis
Reggie Wayne
Kellen Winslow
Jeremy Shockey
Calais Campbell
Frank Gore
Ray Lewis
Edgerrin James
Alex Rodriguez*
Antrel Rolle
Ed Reed
Ryan Braun
Devin Hester
Santana Moss
Greg Olsen
DJ Williams

[There are more, there are ones on pace i.e. Jimmy Graham]

Not arguing on that. But I don't use the boat slip, the park or the museum, so I'm not going to veto a mini soccer stadium.

Oh, I agree with you. I have no problem at all with Beckham getting a soccer stadium on that site, or anywhere else that he can get it. I'm not against a soccer stadium. I'm just pointing out that it probably irrelevant to UM football.

10. The Rock,

Jon Vilma
Pat Burrell
Andre Johnson
Jon Beason
Vince Wilfork
Eric Winston
Michael Irvin
Clinton Portis
Reggie Wayne
Kellen Winslow
Jeremy Shockey
Calais Campbell
Frank Gore
Ray Lewis
Edgerrin James
Alex Rodriguez*
Antrel Rolle
Ed Reed
Ryan Braun
Devin Hester
Santana Moss
Greg Olsen
DJ Williams

Well I was leaving off all the Athletes, as the list is simply too long.
But Seriously, UM need to go at the people who are Alums and big in the Miami community like Micky Arison who I know has donated to UM in the past for medical research, and donates a lot locally. Or Enrique Iglesias, who's worth like $85M. and Pitbull who's worth a cool $50m. but year I should have Mentioned Gloria Estefan who graduated from UM, and is like Miami's powercouple. ****, get Amare Stoudemire (enrolled in 2012 to get his degree) to donate a lil.

I'd prefer not to get a donation from this ******* Haji.

Everyone else is ok with me.

Advertisement

10. The Rock,

Jon Vilma
Pat Burrell
Andre Johnson
Jon Beason
Vince Wilfork
Eric Winston
Michael Irvin
Clinton Portis
Reggie Wayne
Kellen Winslow
Jeremy Shockey
Calais Campbell
Frank Gore
Ray Lewis
Edgerrin James
Alex Rodriguez*
Antrel Rolle
Ed Reed
Ryan Braun
Devin Hester
Santana Moss
Greg Olsen
DJ Williams

Well I was leaving off all the Athletes, as the list is simply too long.
But Seriously, UM need to go at the people who are Alums and big in the Miami community like Micky Arison who I know has donated to UM in the past for medical research, and donates a lot locally. Or Enrique Iglesias, who's worth like $85M. and Pitbull who's worth a cool $50m. but year I should have Mentioned Gloria Estefan who graduated from UM, and is like Miami's powercouple. ****, get Amare Stoudemire (enrolled in 2012 to get his degree) to donate a lil.

I guess I just don't understand where you get the notion that UM hasn't already reached out to these people.

You guys need to understand that fundraising isn't just about asking folks for money.

There's a lot that goes into it. First you've got to conduct a feasibility study to see whether it's even worthwhile to pursue and to gauge potential interest from large donors. I have faith that Shalala and the UM admin have probably done this much, and have come to the conclusion that it's just not feasible at this point. Maybe the donors just don't want to give the amounts needed to seriously entertain the idea of putting together a full-on campaign. Or maybe the non-football alums are just not that interested in football. Or maybe the ex-football players don't have tens of millions just sitting around like you seem to think they do (You have seen Billy Corben's 30-for-30 on players going broke, right?). Or maybe the feasibility study showed that the Miami-Dade community and politicians would be resistant to the idea, or that there would be too many roadblocks, etc. Point is that there are literally dozens of reasons why they may have thought better of mounting and announcing a full-on fundraising campaign for a stadium, reasons that it seems no one here has considered, or maybe no one wants to consider.

Whatever the case, I have faith that Shalala et al are savvy enough that they've at least conducted a feasibility study. I don't think they're stupid, nor do I think they simply don't "prioritize" a football stadium.

Last edited:
As much as we have sucked at the QB position the last several years, we should have just started Cannon Smith and played him with nothing but praise and love til his eligibility was up then hit up his dad to fund our new stadium. He could stop having to buy the naming rights each year for the Redskins and have his own stadium with our logo. Just sayin lol

Advertisement
Back