Beckham, Shalala discuss partnering on stadium

What gets me is, when you look at the resumes of the UM board of distrustees you find a who's who of elite level business people, legal and medical industry top performers and/or people with political and economic connections at the highest levels of society. I really find it hard to believe that a UM stadium deal could not have been done. It leads me to believe these folks did not want a stadium deal done. Its just not a priority AT ALL for them.

Now all of a suddenly at the end of donna's 11th hour her whole world is about a stadium deal? Really?? If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and roots for Oregon, what else is someone to surmise other than donna having a personal motivation in this deal?

Last edited:
Advertisement
CaneHeel,
I'm interested in your opinion of donna's motivation here. Its not like this hasn't been an issue for her entire time as UM president. The OB was getting near end of life for well over a decade before it was torn down. Why now?

I don't think it's fair to say that it "hasn't been an issue for her entire time as UM president." At worst, you could say it wasn't a priority between 2007 and 2014, but I don't think that's necessarily true either.

Let's look at the timeline:

--She takes over as prez in 2001. UM is in the OB. Everyone's happy.
--She tries to negotiate with the city to update the OB.
--This negotiation goes through several iterations over the course of a couple years. The Marlins want a new stadium, so the idea is to have UM fork over 50 mil to help with reno to the OB and build a stadium for the Marlins beside the OB.
--Finally, in 2007 the city gives us a big FU.
--Next best option is Dolphin Stadium. It ain't ideal, but it's really the only option available. Shalala negotiates a good deal (better than what we had at the OB).
--??? Who knows what happens for the next few years. Maybe she tries to look at other options, maybe she doesn't.
--2014 it's announced that we're looking to partner with Beckham.

My reading is that she knew Dolphin Stadium wasn't a permanent fix, but signed a long-term lease for a more favorable financial situation. When another option presented itself, she jumped at the chance.

Last edited:
because we werent it was just discussed, until now

LMAO. Dude, you have no clue.

then give me a clue, because all you have said is we were in it from the start which we werent because when the plans for the soccer stadium was first brought up by beckham he said he didnt want to share it with someone

Here's from Feb of 2014:

"David Beckham’s group is exploring the feasibility of building a soccer stadium that would be large enough to accommodate the University of Miami football team, and UM would have interest if the stadium meets the school’s requirements and if the Hurricanes can somehow escape their long Sun Life Stadium lease, according to sources on both sides."

thats from last year this has been in talks for awhile, did they ever come to a understanding?

That's the whole point. You can't come to a formal agreement if the other party (Beckham) isn't even sure if he's going to build in your town. What you do is say that you are very interested in partnering, and you keep the details hush-hush until you know for sure where everyone stands.

Look, man. I dunno what you expect Shalala/UM to do. But the facts show that they've been trying to partner with Beckham since this whole thing started. This isn't something that Shalala just now decided to get into.

If we want 40k seats, and MLS wants 25k, I don't see why we could not build a 30k stadium with the option to add on an extra 10k for big games like Florida State. Miami does not need anything bigger than 40k, and soccer stadiums are built close to the field, meaning the atmosphere at those games would be crazy. It would be loud as ****, and it would look a lot better if we sold out every game, instead of 40 thousand seats being empty on national television.

LMAO. Dude, you have no clue.

then give me a clue, because all you have said is we were in it from the start which we werent because when the plans for the soccer stadium was first brought up by beckham he said he didnt want to share it with someone

Here's from Feb of 2014:

"David Beckham’s group is exploring the feasibility of building a soccer stadium that would be large enough to accommodate the University of Miami football team, and UM would have interest if the stadium meets the school’s requirements and if the Hurricanes can somehow escape their long Sun Life Stadium lease, according to sources on both sides."

thats from last year this has been in talks for awhile, did they ever come to a understanding?

That's the whole point. You can't come to a formal agreement if the other party (Beckham) isn't even sure if he's going to build in your town. What you do is say that you are very interested in partnering, and you keep the details hush-hush until you know for sure where everyone stands.

Look, man. I dunno what you expect Shalala/UM to do. But the facts show that they've been trying to partner with Beckham since this whole thing started. This isn't something that Shalala just now decided to get into.

i expect them to be public about it if they really had talks with them, not when its beneficial to her

Advertisement
Hard to be official when Beckham himself and the city weren't even sure he was bringing a team here.

Bottom line is that UM was on board from the beginning. Stop acting like we weren't.

Lol you're wrong just give it up. What could Donnas career or reputation have to gain from just feigning interest in athletics. She has a lot more to gain if she makes this happen anybody who can see past their dirt driveway knows that.

you kidding me?

why is she doing this now? right before she leaves, shes doing this for her image, shes been blasted by everyone for her lack of help for athletics and even for her U health fiasco, whether we get the stadium or not she can say that she cared, its the timing that gives it away

You really think she gives a **** if people think she cares? You guys truly underestimate her and the politics involved with major land/stadium deals in municipalities. Would you rather have 1/4 to 1/2 billion dollar land and stadium deal on your resume or bunch of thanks yous from a thankless fanbase. She's out for herself no doubt but this time we could benefit from it.

To be clear, what you are stating is that a noted politician does not care what people think of her, yes?

Instead, what she cares about is bolstering her resume, at her age, because...

Why?

Here's from Feb of 2014:

i expect them to be public about it if they really had talks with them, not when its beneficial to her

Uh, ok.

From the article I linked to:

"Beckham’s group and UM have had preliminary discussions, but the Beckham camp and MLS likely need a couple of months to determine whether it’s realistic."

Lol you're wrong just give it up. What could Donnas career or reputation have to gain from just feigning interest in athletics. She has a lot more to gain if she makes this happen anybody who can see past their dirt driveway knows that.

you kidding me?

why is she doing this now? right before she leaves, shes doing this for her image, shes been blasted by everyone for her lack of help for athletics and even for her U health fiasco, whether we get the stadium or not she can say that she cared, its the timing that gives it away

You really think she gives a **** if people think she cares? You guys truly underestimate her and the politics involved with major land/stadium deals in municipalities. Would you rather have 1/4 to 1/2 billion dollar land and stadium deal on your resume or bunch of thanks yous from a thankless fanbase. She's out for herself no doubt but this time we could benefit from it.

To be clear, what you are stating is that a noted politician does not care what people think of her, yes?

Why?

75 years old means she's in her prime right. You have to be looking out for the future man

you kidding me?

Why?

What if we change the word 'resume' to 'legacy?'

Advertisement

you kidding me?

Why?

Not to be a **** but football fans aren't in the echelon of financial and political elite she's been running with for decades. This is obvious in her track record as a UM President. Fans are second fiddle.

Hard to be official when Beckham himself and the city weren't even sure he was bringing a team here.

Bottom line is that UM was on board from the beginning. Stop acting like we weren't.

you kidding me?

well im saying that too in the other thread, this is a personal move on her part it has nothing to do with the fans or the school thats my point

you kidding me?

well im saying that too in the other thread, this is a personal move on her part it has nothing to do with the fans or the school thats my point

Pretty clear that you'd blame her either way. If she does nothing, then you can complain that she hates UM. If she tries to get with Beckham now, you can complain that she's only doing it for her legacy and doesn't care about UM.

Whatever, man. Like I said, it's clear that she and UM have been interested in the Beckham thing and have had talks with his group dating back to early 2014. This ain't something she decided to pursue just now.

"If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and roots for Oregon,..."

Thanks SFbayCane, that will be money for me next season...

Advertisement

you kidding me?

I agree with most of that, I think she cares a lot about the school and did great work on the academic and fundraising side but i agree she has no desire to "please" the fans.

Heel,
Its a tough pill for folks to swallow. Donna has a long history of style of substance dating back to her time at Wisconsin. She has consistently failed to deal with the stadium issue. Couple that with her oversight of the decline of UM football and folks are naturally going to be of the opinion that she is only pursuing this for personal reasons.

Lets also note her (reported) objection to al golden's termination because of the timing of leadership change and you SHOULD be able to understand the fan base's disbelief in her motives. Yes??

Advertisement

you kidding me?

I agree with most of that, I think she cares a lot about the school and did great work on the academic and fundraising side but i agree she has no desire to "please" the fans.

i think some of it does but this is all about her

Heel,
Its a tough pill for folks to swallow. Donna has a long history of style of substance dating back to her time at Wisconsin. She has consistently failed to deal with the stadium issue. Couple that with her oversight of the decline of UM football and folks are naturally going to be of the opinion that she is only pursuing this for personal reasons.

Lets also note her (reported) objection to al golden's termination because of the timing of leadership change and you SHOULD be able to understand the fan base's disbelief in her motives. Yes??

Oh, I totally agree that the crapstorm that has been UM football over the last decade-plus makes it easy to blame Shalala. My point is--and always has been--that what's easy ain't always right. When you actually examine the timeline, it doesn't make sense to claim that she's only just now getting interested in the stadium situation to put a feather in her own cap.

I'm not aware of her (reported) objection to the Golden firing. Who was it reported by?

Last edited:

you kidding me?

Pretty clear that you'd blame her either way. If she does nothing, then you can complain that she hates UM. If she tries to get with Beckham now, you can complain that she's only doing it for her legacy and doesn't care about UM.

Whatever, man. Like I said, it's clear that she and UM have been interested in the Beckham thing and have had talks with his group dating back to early 2014. This ain't something she decided to pursue just now.

Im not blaming anything im just stating what it is, since she has been here the program has went to crap, she messed up with the whole U health stuff, they had "talks" but it never mounted to anything till now, come on man look at what this is it is a image move for her, something to put on her resume, why didnt she heavily pushed this back then? Now she cares about the stadium thing? come on man

you kidding me?

Im not blaming anything im just stating what it is, since she has been here the program has went to crap, she messed up with the whole U health stuff, they had "talks" but it never mounted to anything till now, come on man look at what this is it is a image move for her, something to put on her resume, why didnt she heavily pushed this back then? Now she cares about the stadium thing? come on man

Dude, again, you're just ignoring the facts.

They had initial talks (and admitted that publicly) back in 2014.

They couldn't "mount" anything further because Beckham and MLS didn't know whether they were actually going to do anything in Miami. The city was pushing them away from the areas that they wanted, and they were fielding offers from other cities.

At that point, it's not UM's decision to make. They have to wait until Beckham decides which way he's going to go. And they've obviously been in constant contact with Beckham's people.

Advertisement
Back