BC vs. Miami 241pm ESPN2

Coach L has been a part of a lot of games in his life and many games that carried more at stake than this game. He isn't overreacting because he's probably unhappy with how UM played and thinking about the next game. This was not NC State beating Houston and Jimmy V looking for someone to hug.
God I hope so, that is…that he was unhappy with the way they played.

Guys his age and experience have seen it all…he will get emotional in the locker room with his guys.

Advertisement
I'm gonna let the photo speak for itself so I don't get attacked (too much) by the slurpers... I was trying to focus on Coach L, arms folded moodily (angry?) after Wong mucked up the last (hero-ball) possessions. They were still folded after Jordan's great defensive play and Sam's (questionable) pass to Charlie and the buzzer-beater miracle winning layup by Jordan after Charlie's sizzling pass to him. Due to camera angles, Jim dropped off the screen as the winning shot was made, but some digging found another camera angle and there he is as the ball goes THRU the hoop (SEE THE PIC!)

View attachment 179410

Bewilderment? I don't know, arms still folded, not raised in celebration or joy. And then he immediately turned to meet the BC coach as the winning Canes were joyfully celebrating the winning shot. Something doesn't seem right, Whatever it is, I hope its not contagious, and that he can still "dance", cause we need Charlie's enthusiasm and spark if we are gonna prosper further this year.
What a waste of ******* time this post is. Some ****ed up dumbass fan base we have. I have really enjoyed the **** outta this season. Love having good guard play. Coach L is solid. I’m hoping AD Rad raises the expectations of the hoop program so a season like this is the floor.

What a waste of ******* time this post is. Some ****ed up dumbass fan base we have. I have really enjoyed the **** outta this season. Love having good guard play. Coach L is solid. I’m hoping AD Rad raises the expectations of the hoop program so a season like this is the floor.

There’s a lot of people that normally don’t watch UM basketball, they’ve only seen a couple of games, haven’t even kept up with the team the last 2-3 years, and think because we finished in the top four in the ACC we got a roster full of studs.

This team is way over-achieving. I mean not even close to any expectations that any reasonable person had at the beginning of the season.

But these people don’t understand that and they don’t get the comparative talent level on this team.

They don’t get that most people that know and write about basketball, before this season, thought we had a team full of tomato cans plus Wong. To be honest so did I.

So the people happy with what’s happening, the so called 15-0 people, they’re probably more realistic people that weren’t expecting a **** of a lot this year. Definitely not an NCAA bid. Mid-level ACC at absolute luckiest best. Anybody that’s honest would say this team has overachieved.

Anything more after today is just gravy.

Yes this team has overachieved the predictions and expectations and certainly Coach L (and staff) deserves credit. (As well as the guys who achieved it, OFC) There have been numerous legit gripes and criticism of his reign here, especially in recent years regarding roster management and recruiting and style of play and what was anticipated after the NCAA "taste". Also some game and player management, not all that dissimilar from Coach Manny such as player preference playing time and development. I won't revisit the numerous complex issues voiced here by mostly hopeful dedicated attentive fans and CIS posters, and acknowledge the NCAA and injury aspects that explain some of that. And he is a legendary Final_4 lovable coach with earned credibility.

I personally would prefer to see a more Katie Meier approach on the court as well as a better grip of the Tobacco Refs "management". These refs of course are Miami-manglers, and the current players are overtly subject to pronounced spurts and hiccups that (I feel) would benefit in energy and motivation from a more engaged style, and rotations (example: more Walker less Sam today.) With a 4-4 February, we very well could have been out of the dance with a BC loss.

This team surely has it's limits, and is far from a very good team despite it's ranking attainment within the down-year ACC. Every win is a treat, and a delight, despite the process to get there being at times frustrating and painful. If all (most?) of the team have good days at the same time, as they have shown up, we could probably beat anyone on a given day, and hope we do going forward, this year and always. So I guess the Sky is the Limit.

I suggest most (even all here) love our team sincerely, from Coach on down, even if we nitpick, moan, groan, over-negatize, or whatever in our wishful and wistful thinking. What makes a successful even great Coach is a matrix of many many factors including circumstances and gametime situations... Coach L has been spot on at times, and less so at other times. I didn't really mind his demeanor today, though I prefer otherwise - but after all he faces permanent scowl (but also legendary successful) Coach K tomorrow!

Yes this team has overachieved the predictions and expectations and certainly Coach L (and staff) deserves credit. (As well as the guys who achieved it, OFC) There have been numerous legit gripes and criticism of his reign here, especially in recent years regarding roster management and recruiting and style of play and what was anticipated after the NCAA "taste". Also some game and player management, not all that dissimilar from Coach Manny such as player preference playing time and development. I won't revisit the numerous complex issues voiced here by mostly hopeful dedicated attentive fans and CIS posters, and acknowledge the NCAA and injury aspects that explain some of that. And he is a legendary Final_4 lovable coach with earned credibility.

I personally would prefer to see a more Katie Meier approach on the court as well as a better grip of the Tobacco Refs "management". These refs of course are Miami-manglers, and the current players are overtly subject to pronounced spurts and hiccups that (I feel) would benefit in energy and motivation from a more engaged style, and rotations (example: more Walker less Sam today.) With a 4-4 February, we very well could have been out of the dance with a BC loss.

This team surely has it's limits, and is far from a very good team despite it's ranking attainment within the down-year ACC. Every win is a treat, and a delight, despite the process to get there being at times frustrating and painful. If all (most?) of the team have good days at the same time, as they have shown up, we could probably beat anyone on a given day, and hope we do going forward, this year and always. So I guess the Sky is the Limit.

I suggest most (even all here) love our team sincerely, from Coach on down, even if we nitpick, moan, groan, over-negatize, or whatever in our wishful and wistful thinking. What makes a successful even great Coach is a matrix of many many factors including circumstances and gametime situations... Coach L has been spot on at times, and less so at other times. I didn't really mind his demeanor today, though I prefer otherwise - but after all he faces permanent scowl (but also legendary successful) Coach K tomorrow!

A Katie Meier approach? You mean underperform for his entire career with better comparable talent.

Advertisement
A Katie Meier approach? You mean underperform for his entire career with better comparable talent.
If you watched the huge come from behind upset of Louisville in the tourney, scoring the last 17 points for an amazing comeback, you know what i mean. She was like a little kid at times jumping around and cheering, and I truly believe she was the sixth man for that spate of time...

Some think she is a Top-10 coach and has been hugely talented and successful here, others think she has severely underachieved. I really don't follow that sport venue enough to have an informed opinion, so perhaps you are right. I was only referring to her game time demeanor and how it was extremely helpful in that game and others.

If you watched the huge come from behind upset of Louisville in the tourney, scoring the last 17 points for an amazing comeback, you know what i mean. She was like a little kid at times jumping around and cheering, and I truly believe she was the sixth man for that spate of time...

Some think she is a Top-10 coach and has been hugely talented and successful here, others think she has severely underachieved. I really don't follow that sport venue enough to have an informed opinion, so perhaps you are right. I was only referring to her game time demeanor and how it was extremely helpful in that game and others.

So you value game time demeanor over production as a coach? I mean you just admitted in your post you know nothing about women’s basketball performance in her career at Miami.

Another basketball thread full of receipts. These haters just can't help themselves. This team keeps proving them wrong and I love it.
The team pulls off another amazing win in a tourney and half these cats on here are complaining? 23 win season and they're still complaining? Coach L folds his arms, complain?
I even think I saw the very first Rad complaint on here tonight. Unreal.
Twilight Zone ****t for sure.
Amazing W today!! Now let's beat dook again!!
The arm folding thing was a bad take by a really good poster and Cane fan. I give him a pass

Advertisement
and rotations (example: more Walker less Sam today.)

The reason this team is 23-9 is because they only play an 8-man rotation and cut it to 7-man in some situations (like yesterday).

So, of course, your complaint is that we should play one of those bench players over one of the starters more.

Chef's kiss.

The love for Katie Meier exposes another blind spot for this board.

The people praising her haven't followed the women's team for 3 years (or maybe ever) and they saw a buzzer beater on Twitter and thought "man, Katie Meier is great!"

Despite the fact that this year (the only year they've cared about women's basketball) Larranaga has a better overall record, conference record and tournament resume.

If her resume was transferred to Larranaga (17 seasons, never out of the second round) she would be getting pilloried.

I personally prefer a coach that keeps an even and level demeanor. Just personal preference. I feel the rah rah stuff is short lived and wears thin quickly. But you can find examples of both styles being successful. Coach Cal is about as animated as they come and obviously has been incredibly successful for decades.

Advertisement
The reason this team is 23-9 is because they only play an 8-man rotation and cut it to 7-man in some situations (like yesterday).

So, of course, your complaint is that we should play one of those bench players over one of the starters more.

Chef's kiss.
The reason we're 23 is because..

You don't know what you got till it's gone....

The love for Katie Meier exposes another blind spot for this board.

The people praising her haven't followed the women's team for 3 years (or maybe ever) and they saw a buzzer beater on Twitter and thought "man, Katie Meier is great!"

Despite the fact that this year (the only year they've cared about women's basketball) Larranaga has a better overall record, conference record and tournament resume.

If her resume was transferred to Larranaga (17 seasons, never out of the second round) she would be getting pilloried.
I've been following Katie since Day 1 in Gables. If you're going to defend Larranaga at every turn then Katie deserves it just as much, if not more.

I've been following Katie since Day 1 in Gables. If you're going to defend Larranaga at every turn then Katie deserves it just as much, if not more.

Then you should know that she's never been out of the second round of the tournament and has lost, twice, to lower seeds *at home* in the second round

Larranaga has a better overall record, conference record and trophy case than Katie Meier.

Advertisement
Then you should know that she's never been out of the second round of the tournament and has lost, twice, to lower seeds *at home* in the second round

Larranaga has a better overall record, conference record and trophy case than Katie Meier.
Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, her best shot of doing damage in the post season was the year she had to kick Bebe Williams (arguably her best player ever) off the team in their final practice before the NCAAT. I also know she's got a better winning percentage at Miami than Larranaga. Also became the winningest coach in Miami history. Has made the post season the past 10 years in a row. Look, I"m not undervaluing the job Larranaga has done here, but you shouldn't do it to Katie neither. Same energy you have for Katie, you should also have for Jim. They've both had very good careers at the U.

I personally prefer a coach that keeps an even and level demeanor. Just personal preference. I feel the rah rah stuff is short lived and wears thin quickly. But you can find examples of both styles being successful. Coach Cal is about as animated as they come and obviously has been incredibly successful for decades.
👀👀

Advertisement
Back