BC vs. Miami 241pm ESPN2

Advertisement
9 points, 9 boards, 3 blocks, 1 steal.
Happy to see Sam had some good moments today, but I think we can all agree he left some numbers out there. Could've easily had a double-double. Just need a consistent effort from him. Again, he looks good when he's engaged and playing with high energy and effort. Saw more of that in the 2nd half. Need that from him if we're going to win more games in March. He should be looking to dunk everything around the rim. Not pull up on diminutive guards for pull ups. I recall one occasion where he got the ball on the perimeter gave a shot fake, took a dribble and went to dunk but got fouled. Then a few plays later he grabs an offensive rebound in the paint and fades away from contact for a miss. When he's not playing with high energy and effort he looks soft and sorry, worse than when he was a freshman. We shouldn't be having this conversation 5-6 years into his college career. For him it should be balls to the wall from here on out. No excuses. GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Gritty win and its funny how all these other supposed top teams lose in all the big conferences... but we get a win in OT and we are chit according to some so called Canes fans...fvckin unbelievable...

See Texas lose after leading by 18?
See Michigan lose after leading by 17?
See Butler beating Xavier?
See BC beat Wake?
See the gator get beat by aTm?

FFS Syracuse has a lead vs dook today with less than 3 minutes left...

Talking like dook is untouchable...I guess y’all didn't see them get their **** pushed in against tar heels on coach k last game at Cameron...

Didn't we play dook at Cameron? How did that go? Yeah Canes win.

See what I'm saying....There is a reason its called March Madness.

No team is unbeatable...in ACC or nationally...Facts!

Advertisement
And what kind of defense is being played against him, dependent on who’s defending him. I didn’t see him with much space beyond the 3-arc too much this game. That’s when he seems to step up his scoring a little bit. Would have to rewatch the game and just focus on him.

But in any event he’s not a reliable game to game scorer. He can have 21 game and then score 2 to 6 points for three straight games.
Seems to me Sam, in his mind, thinks he's the 4th option to take a 3 pointer. Last I looked, he was shooting 43% from behind the arc, Kam and Charlie are both at 37%, and Zay at 32%. Today, especially, as the ball was being swung around the perimeter, Sam didn't appear - most times - to even be taking a quick look at the basket. He was immediately into passing mode.

Happy to see Sam had some good moments today, but I think we can all agree he left some numbers out there. Could've easily had a double-double. Just need a consistent effort from him. Again, he looks good when he's engaged and playing with high energy and effort. Saw more of that in the 2nd half. Need that from him if we're going to win more games in March. He should be looking to dunk everything around the rim. Not pull up on diminutive guards for pull ups. I recall one occasion where he got the ball on the perimeter gave a shot fake, took a dribble and went to dunk but got fouled. Then a few plays later he grabs an offensive rebound in the paint and fades away from contact for a miss. When he's not playing with high energy and effort he looks soft and sorry, worse than when he was a freshman. We shouldn't be having this conversation 5-6 years into his college career. For him it should be balls to the wall from here on out. No excuses. GO CANES!!!
So Sam was not playing with effort today?

Based on what?

Our fanbase is the worst. Good lord.

We almost always play Duke tough. We beat them at Cameron and are a bad matchup for them.
Wouldn't say our fanbase is the worse for expecting more. I too was disappointed with the effort we came out with. We were almost double digit favorites going into this game. We were supposed to win. Obviously, a win is a win, but no one should be satisfied with the way in which we won. Happy we won? Absolutely! But not satisfied we beat a bad BC team playing their 4th game in less than a week. Again, it's ok to be happy we won but don't think we should be criticizing folks who want or expect more from the team.

Advertisement
So Sam was not playing with effort today?

Based on what?
Did you catch the 1st half? Particularly the first 10 minutes of the game? I don't think he had a single stat in the first 10 minutes aside from a turnover. He was completely different in the 2nd half, especially over the last part of it. Came up with some big rebounds and timely blocks. I want and I expect more of that from the jump, and so should you.

Wouldn't say our fanbase is the worse for expecting more. I too was disappointed with the effort we came out with. We were almost double digit favorites going into this game. We were supposed to win. Obviously, a win is a win, but no one should be satisfied with the way in which we won. Happy we won? Absolutely! But not satisfied we beat a bad BC team playing their 4th game in less than a week. Again, it's ok to be happy we won but don't think we should be criticizing folks who want or expect more from the team.
Anybody that watched that game and didn't feel frustrated well I don't even know what to say. Uninspired play for basically 36 minutes minimum. Wasn't like BC was playing out of their minds or anything.

He played 39 minutes which is a lot. 9 boards for a guy averaging 4 is pretty engaged. Also the BC kid was pretty physical. He is what he is.

Advertisement
He played 39 minutes which is a lot. 9 boards for a guy averaging 4 is pretty engaged. Also the BC kid was pretty physical. He is what he is.
My point exactly. 9 rebounds in 39 minutes is ok when you're averaging half that. I'll take it. Much better than some of his other games. However, averaging 4 rebounds is totally unacceptable for a 6'10" PF playing in his 6th year of college basketball. Again, I've said this ad nauseam. It's not that he's incapable. It's his energy and effort that sours me at times. He's got to be better in that category. Everything else will take care of itself more times than not if he's engaged and playing with energy & effort. It's quite simple. Think about it. He subbed out around the 7-8 minute mark with 0 rebounds. Came back in shortly thereafter and got his first one with around 8 minutes left in the 1st half. Meaning he got his 9 rebounds over the course of the remaining 33 minutes in the game.

Last edited:
Don’t try to explain it to the 15-0 squad. They don’t have the mental capacity to understand that there can be multiple truths. Like being pumped to be in the semis while also being a little disappointed and concerned we didn’t play better today. They also probably have a tough time walking and chewing gum at the same time. It’s an angry, dull bunch.

I'm gonna let the photo speak for itself so I don't get attacked (too much) by the slurpers... I was trying to focus on Coach L, arms folded moodily (angry?) after Wong mucked up the last (hero-ball) possessions. They were still folded after Jordan's great defensive play and Sam's (questionable) pass to Charlie and the buzzer-beater miracle winning layup by Jordan after Charlie's sizzling pass to him. Due to camera angles, Jim dropped off the screen as the winning shot was made, but some digging found another camera angle and there he is as the ball goes THRU the hoop (SEE THE PIC!)

View attachment 179410

Bewilderment? I don't know, arms still folded, not raised in celebration or joy. And then he immediately turned to meet the BC coach as the winning Canes were joyfully celebrating the winning shot. Something doesn't seem right, Whatever it is, I hope its not contagious, and that he can still "dance", cause we need Charlie's enthusiasm and spark if we are gonna prosper further this year.
You got it. He’s clearly ****ed we won.

Advertisement
Seems to me Sam, in his mind, thinks he's the 4th option to take a 3 pointer. Last I looked, he was shooting 43% from behind the arc, Kam and Charlie are both at 37%, and Zay at 32%. Today, especially, as the ball was being swung around the perimeter, Sam didn't appear - most times - to even be taking a quick look at the basket. He was immediately into passing mode.

Interesting I would have to rewatch and focus on him. The moment may have been a little big for him, as I believe this might have been his first tournament play in college. But I might be wrong about that.

Coach L doesn’t dance after a lackluster performance against an inferior team. We mad.

Corch Manny does the slip and slide after a lackluster performance against an inferior team. We mad

Another basketball thread full of receipts. These haters just can't help themselves. This team keeps proving them wrong and I love it.
The team pulls off another amazing win in a tourney and half these cats on here are complaining? 23 win season and they're still complaining? Coach L folds his arms, complain?
I even think I saw the very first Rad complaint on here tonight. Unreal.
Twilight Zone ****t for sure.
Amazing W today!! Now let's beat dook again!!

Advertisement
Back