BC vs. Miami 241pm ESPN2

Advertisement
Ugly game. Kind of amazing we found a way to win it. BC figured out what few other teams have and what unfortunately will make our Tourney run very short. Drive the ball or work out of the post because we have no rim protection. You hit a few 3s on top of that and all of a sudden we're very beatable. And now L has lost faith in Wooga so our rotation is down to 7. With what we have it's been an amazing run but it's almost like Hoosiers. We have 5 guys.. foul trouble or God forbid a turned ankle for any 1 of them and we're screwed.

I think Duke is gonna open a can tomorrow and if we're competitive I'll be pleasantly surprised. We're not gonna sneak up on them like we did at Cameron. Hope we get a decent draw in the Tournament to advance there are least. And I hope Wong thinks long and hard about the parts of his game he needs to work on before he bolts for the pros.

Ugly game. Kind of amazing we found a way to win it. BC figured out what few other teams have and what unfortunately will make our Tourney run very short. Drive the ball or work out of the post because we have no rim protection. You hit a few 3s on top of that and all of a sudden we're very beatable. And now L has lost faith in Wooga so our rotation is down to 7. With what we have it's been an amazing run but it's almost like Hoosiers. We have 5 guys.. foul trouble or God forbid a turned ankle for any 1 of them and we're screwed.

I think Duke is gonna open a can tomorrow and if we're competitive I'll be pleasantly surprised. We're not gonna sneak up on them like we did at Cameron. Hope we get a decent draw in the Tournament to advance there are least. And I hope Wong thinks long and hard about the parts of his game he needs to work on before he bolts for the pros.

Our fanbase is the worst. Good lord.

We almost always play Duke tough. We beat them at Cameron and are a bad matchup for them.

Advertisement

It is hard to have rim protection when you have four guards and the equivalent of a small forward, or three guards and two small forwards. Hard but not impossible. The defense has to be played outside of the rim area.

I’ve been critical of Larranaga in the past, but he’s one of those guys that always gets the most out of what really isn’t much more than mid major talent.

Advertisement
Sam had a couple of nice defensive plays towards games' end. He also got the ball quickly to Moore for the assist to Jordan to win the game. Before that, Karnik was playing over the top against him, pretty effectively. Too much bulk for Sam to handle. Sam only took three 3 pt shots today; looked to me like he was in a passing mode, reluctant to shoot much. He's in and out like that. Guess its based on whether he's feeling it or not.

@Trav also complained about L using a 7 man rotation.

He might be shocked to know the Duke team he's sure will destroy us plays basically a 6 man rotation

One of the myths that refuses to die around here is the "use all the scholarships!" argument.

We've got 4-star players who can't play (R. Miller) and others who aren't ready to contribute (Poplar) but we definitely *need* to use all the scholarships to fill out the roster!

Sam had a couple of nice defensive plays towards games' end. He also got the ball quickly to Moore for the assist to Jordan to win the game. Before that, Karnik was playing over the top against him, pretty effectively. Too much bulk for Sam to handle. Sam only took three 3 pt shots today; looked to me like he was in a passing mode, reluctant to shoot much. He's in and out like that. Guess its based on whether he's feeling it or not.

And what kind of defense is being played against him, dependent on who’s defending him. I didn’t see him with much space beyond the 3-arc too much this game. That’s when he seems to step up his scoring a little bit. Would have to rewatch the game and just focus on him.

But in any event he’s not a reliable game to game scorer. He can have 21 game and then score 2 to 6 points for three straight games.

Well, here's a nice photo of the players (and mascot) joyfully celebrating the shot immediately after:
1646955534240.png

Pardon me for expressing disdain for the Great Extended Coach eschewing participation for the moment. I doubt I'm alone, but Slurp and bash away, it's no surprise.

Advertisement
Our fanbase is the worst. Good lord.

We almost always play Duke tough. We beat them at Cameron and are a bad matchup for them.
We actually match up well with Coach Alphabet. Jim is 7-7 against him and that includes the 3 years where we barely could field a line up with 6 to 7 scholarship players available.

I actually like this one better than facing a Syracuse team where we had to overcome 18-point deficits twice this season to win. Beating anybody competitive 3 times is asking a lot. Plus, Syracuse played well without Buddy Boeheim this afternoon.

Last edited:
9 points, 9 boards, 3 blocks, 1 steal.

Great moment; BUT, doesn't Larranaga have any plays to run against a zone?
go back and watch the end of the Syracuse game from five days ago. he stuck McGusty in the middle of the zone and that's really what fueled our comeback, we also got two baskets running backdoor alley oops.

what happened today schematically is that BC stuck a guy right on the free throw line, so that option wasn't available to us and I thought that really mucked up our offense. BC was basically playing a condensed 3-2 zone as opposed to a 2-3, and because we don't have anyone who can really score in the post it was a good strategy on their part. we also didn't shoot very well from 3, Moore shooting over the zone is one of our better options against that defense. we tried to run that alley oop play and we threw it off the backboard, overall we just didn't execute very well at all.

I thought the BC's guy coached a good game, hats off to him honestly. our guys were pretty listless, hopefully it's a lesson learned for them. and it gives L a real reason to think about what to do if we see that kinda defense in the tournament.

Advertisement

You always shortened the bench in tournament play. As for the NCAA tournament it is always about match ups. We have zero idea who we play in round 2 or if we get to round 3.

Well, here's a nice photo of the players (and mascot) joyfully celebrating the shot immediately after:
View attachment 179415

Pardon me for expressing disdain for the Great Extended Coach eschewing participation for the moment. I doubt I'm alone, but Slurp and bash away, it's no surprise.

Check out Jay Wright’s reaction to winning the championship at the buzzer. Not a hint of emotion.

What point are you trying to make?

View attachment 179415

You’re jumping the shark with the slurp comment. Nobody is slurping Larranaga. I didn’t even think we’re going to make the tourney and was ready to fire him after last year. Then he showed me the type of coach he really is this year. And not perfect, he has to have his kind of players to succeed, but he’s got a pretty decent track record with the exception of the death blow he got hit with during the investigation. And afterwords.

You always shortened the bench in tournament play. As for the NCAA tournament it is always about match ups. We have zero idea who we play in round 2 or if we get to round 3.
But our bench has been 2 or 3 and time for those few reserves shrinking for a long while now.

Advertisement
Back