Barrys Latest

LOL...if you think Baker called the defense the whole time i got some beach front property in Nebraska for sale. You know its dIAZs sh1tty scheme right.. the one that gets raped whenever they play a decent/talented offense. Keep living in your dreamworld snowflake

Lol at the guy who got triggered calling me a snowflake. I apologize for the micro aggression, I know the microencephalitis is not your fault. I blame the mosquitoes.

Advertisement

So much to unpack, like UM playing man only 35 percent of the time this season...

But as Barry said, our LBs were one of the lowest rated in all of cfb last season, so it is bewildering why Manny would decide to keep the guy in charge of that unit.

More importantly, as pointed out in the article, the LB recruiting has been awful. So how in tf do you not prioritize the 5 Star LB in your own backyard and find a way to get him on campus (not in the article). Playcalling can only do so much when the talent is lacking.

I'm actually rooting for harder for Manny this season than in previous ones bc I love a good "me against the world" story, but man does he make this **** unnecessarily difficult.

I'm rooting for the players. Manny already made his bed.

Last edited:
I would not have taken that bet. Baker is a terrible DC. I knew that going in. The combination of zone coverage plus terrible DL and LB play was a recipe for a defensive disaster. I expected a shootout and UNC putting a crazy amount of points, but Miami keeping up with UNC's mediocre D and us winning 56-48 or something like that. The fact that Bakers D was that bad wasn't that shocking (I didn't expect record setting bad though) , but the fact that Lashlee's O struggled again was just as troubling. I saw it too many times and it's concerning because W/Ls are more about offense than defense nowadays (though it's ridiculous to expect Lashlee's O to put up 60+ to compensate for the putrid defense). I would, however, be willing to bet money/permaban that Miami with T-Rob (man coverage), Diaz (better DC), and Simpson (better DL), isn't going to give up 500 yards rushing to Bama.

300 plus? Well... Baker and Patke are still LB coaches...
I'm with you on that. Also it looked like the players had no will to fight. Absolutely none at all.

Advertisement
Agree, I can just picture those two un athletic football dummies in McLeod and Jennings trying to stop bamas rushing attack. It’ll be a game full of continued bad angles, shooting wrong gaps because neither have any instincts for the position and ****** reflex’s as they’re both stiff as a board. Smh it does still amaze me how Manure some how gets an undeserved pass by some in this fan base for fielding the least talented unit on the team. Lispy has been in charge of linebacker recruiting since day one here and since day one he has been an outright failure at it hence the two bozos we have starting and the supposed “young studs” behind them that two plus years in are “still not ready.” And this is the dude the university picked to lead this program? Lmao it’s beyond laughable and that 6 hundred yards bama is gonna put on that garbage unit is completely utterly on Manure himself! He made his bed with his linebacker recruting and he’s gonna have to lay in it game one and the bed is gonna be a stinky mess, full of manure! Lol

I'm not going to ding Baker too much for LB play. I just don't think any of those guys are all that good to begin with. That's a recruiting (Manny) problem. We've had a fun D for several years (i.e., turnover chain). It's been aggressive and generally speaking, a well-performing unit. It is disappointing that Manny hasn't been able to turn that into better talent. I am hopeful some of that is attributed to the overall lackluster play of the team as a whole and not an indicator of Manny's ability to spot talent and recruit.
What about his ability to be a head coach? Nobody on this board seems to think that's actually a needed coaching position, like we just need an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator, and the head coach is sort of part time or by committee. Lackluster play is the head coaches fault. Manny couldn't solve it full time, he isn't solving it part time.

And yes, it's a full time job.

I try to be polite so I intentionally didn't respond to that part because of the stupidity of it. But since you asked... I like have discussions based in realism and don't have patience for that kind of silliness. If someone wants to say Miami will give up 600-800 yards of total offense, that's realistic. 600 rushing yards is dumb.
If you don’t think bama is capable of putting 5 to 6 hundred yards of rushing on this undisciplined lack of any gap integrity front four and our complete garbage linebacker unit with mind you, Swiss cheese Baker still in charge! Then you clearly haven’t been watching bama the last 10 plus years or Miami in that same time frame. It’s gonna be like the St Valentine’s massacre that day, so be prepared sport and don’t say I don’t warn you.
1611240182425.gif

Advertisement
If you don’t think bama is capable of putting 5 to 6 hundred yards of rushing on this undisciplined lack of any gap integrity front four and our complete garbage linebacker unit with mind you, Swiss cheese Baker still in charge! Then you clearly haven’t been watching bama the last 10 plus years or Miami in that same time frame. It’s gonna be like the St Valentine’s massacre that day, so be prepared sport and don’t say I don’t warn you.
View attachment 141630

Baby Face Nelson! Good movie.

View attachment 141630

Why don’t we bet on it?

You take a day ban for every yard under 500 rushing they put up and I’ll do the same for every yard over?

Btw I’m willing to make that bet with any one of the mopes out there throwing out the 70 points or 600 yard numbers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The decision to not fire Baker will haunt Manny for the rest of his tenure at Miami.
Not if somehow he manages a better season, doesn't renew Bakers contract at end of year and finds a DC. I could understand the not firing him to buy him out for one year (cheap and bad decision), but if he renews him that will be his haunting.

Why don’t we bet on it?

You take a day ban for every yard under 500 rushing they put up and I’ll do the same for every yard over?

Btw I’m willing to make that bet with any one of the mopes out there throwing out the 70 points or 600 yard numbers.
Threat bans?! Really dude, come on and get real. Smh Like anyone has ever honored or paid attention to them on here ever. Lol it’s one of the stupidest CIS traditions. But what I will do is take bama and all the points they’ll be giving up to amateur hour suntan U and you can take Miami, manure and the spread. 👍

Threat bans?! Really dude, come on and get real. Smh Like anyone has ever honored or paid attention to them on here ever. Lol it’s one of the stupidest CIS traditions. But what I will do is take bama and they’ll be giving up to amateur hour suntan U and you can take Miami, manure and the spread. 👍

So that’s a no then.

What about at 400 yards rushing?

300?

Advertisement
Baker's D? Yes it did. Are you new to Miami football? Baker called the plays last year. Did you know DEriq King got injured? I can fill you in on other important Hurricanes news since you don't seem to know what's going on.
Calling the plays is only part of it. Diaz calling plays *should* in theory help, but the recruiting and player development on D, which is on Manny, has been poor. Simpson should help with Dline gap integrity but our talent is taking a step back at that position, and with Manny and Blake still in charge of LB recruiting and development there’s unlikely to be much improvement there. I think we need to be prepared for a defense in 2021 that in terms of performance is going to be quite similar to the 2020 D.

I think there might also be a bit of scapegoating of Baker as a LB coach, which I'm separating from his being a bad DC (no doubt about that). Diaz's LB recruiting in 2017 & 2018 was awful. Not a single quality/productive LB in those 2 years. All the players have been injured and/or not Miami caliber (doubtful P5 caliber at all) I don't think Brooks has particularly good LB instincts but maybe I'm wrong there. If I'm not mistaken, he wasn't even a LB in HS; he played DE. Also as an OLB, I believe he's coached by Patke. Huff has the athletic potential but I believe he is also coached by Patke at OLB. I didn't see TAC on field so I don't know if he's an ILB or OLB (so coached by Patke) and his SPARQ score is average so I don't know how much upside he's got. Seems to be a bit slow for an OLB. The strange thing is that our least athletic LB, Flagg, is also the best LB by leaps and bounds. You could tell that just by watching the games and the stats bear that out (didn't miss a single tackle all season). So if your slowest, least athletic LB is also the best LB, it's not unreasonable to think that he's received decent coaching. LB talent just isn't there. Diaz makes Rumph look like T-Rob when it comes to recruiting their respective positions. This isn't a defense of Baker, I'm just saying I find it hard to really judge how good or bad he is at LB coach because I don't think we have LB talent. If you switched him out with a more well-regarded LB coach, would we see a big improvement at LB with the same talent? I'm not so sure we would.

"If you switched him out with a more well-regarded LB coach, would we see a big improvement at LB with the same talent? I'm not so sure we would."

I respectfully disagree but it's just my opinion.
Regardless the point he isn't a well regarded LB's coach...there is no reason to not upgrade. He did it to Rumph he should have done it to Baker. Only difference Baker is his boy.

Maybe, but if he’s in charge of the LB unit, then the product of LB play this year as it was last year will be on his shoulders, so while he could end up gone next year the damage would’ve already been done on the field & off the field in recruiting.

It’s not wise to have a lame duck coach on staff, we saw what happened with Rumph this year, CB play was as bad as it’s been since the Folden era & we signed 0 High schools CB’s in the 21 class, lame duck coaches usually have biohazard signs around them that both players on the team & recruits on the trail can see loud & clear.

Gonna be difficult to recruit high value LB’s if they know just as well as we do that Baker is either gone after this year or not good enough to do his job in the first place.

That’s why it was such a bad decision for Manny to keep him while demoting him from play calling & taking away his DC title, he essentially let recruits know & the world know that this coach has no business being here, but I’m gonna keep him here anyway. That’s no bueno.
Exactly. I hate all the win-win garbage on here. Nobody on here can give me 1 good reason for having Baker on the staff. Not 1! Yeah it can help get manure fired quicker. Believe it or not, I don’t want him fired... I’d prefer to win every game next year and win the natty. I would hope all is Canes fans want that. I hate every year having to hope we lose to make changes... what the **** kind of fun is that. Be a coach and make the necessary changes to win. Don’t keep jerking off your friends... it helps no one and will actually hurt Baker’s career too if things go badly.

I think there might also be a bit of scapegoating of Baker as a LB coach, which I'm separating from his being a bad DC (no doubt about that). Diaz's LB recruiting in 2017 & 2018 was awful. Not a single quality/productive LB in those 2 years. All the players have been injured and/or not Miami caliber (doubtful P5 caliber at all) I don't think Brooks has particularly good LB instincts but maybe I'm wrong there. If I'm not mistaken, he wasn't even a LB in HS; he played DE. Also as an OLB, I believe he's coached by Patke. Huff has the athletic potential but I believe he is also coached by Patke at OLB. I didn't see TAC on field so I don't know if he's an ILB or OLB (so coached by Patke) and his SPARQ score is average so I don't know how much upside he's got. Seems to be a bit slow for an OLB. The strange thing is that our least athletic LB, Flagg, is also the best LB by leaps and bounds. You could tell that just by watching the games and the stats bear that out (didn't miss a single tackle all season). So if your slowest, least athletic LB is also the best LB, it's not unreasonable to think that he's received decent coaching. LB talent just isn't there. Diaz makes Rumph look like T-Rob when it comes to recruiting their respective positions. This isn't a defense of Baker, I'm just saying I find it hard to really judge how good or bad he is at LB coach because I don't think we have LB talent. If you switched him out with a more well-regarded LB coach, would we see a big improvement at LB with the same talent? I'm not so sure we would.
Zach Thomas was no stud athlete but had good instincts and solid fundamentals. Even though Quarterman and Pinkney seemed to have good instincts folks complained that they were fundamentally unsound : who knows all I know is we don't align properly and our linebackers are always being picked on in the passing game, or can't get to the ball on running plays :

Advertisement
Back