Barrys Latest

So much to unpack, like UM playing man only 35 percent of the time this season...

But as Barry said, our LBs were one of the lowest rated in all of cfb last season, so it is bewildering why Manny would decide to keep the guy in charge of that unit.

More importantly, as pointed out in the article, the LB recruiting has been awful. So how in tf do you not prioritize the 5 Star LB in your own backyard and find a way to get him on campus (not in the article). Playcalling can only do so much when the talent is lacking.

I'm actually rooting for harder for Manny this season than in previous ones bc I love a good "me against the world" story, but man does he make this **** unnecessarily difficult.

Advertisement
If I were Bama, I'd set our goal at 600yds rushing, it is going to be a bloodbath

And yet another candidate for "when keeping it mope goes wrong." Bama puts up 500+ yards of offense on almost every team regardless of how good their LB corps is. Neither Miami nor any team in CFB is going to keep Bama from scoring. The way that any team has a chance is by scoring lots of points. UF's defense (gave up 600+ yards total and 5 TDs to Jones) and the Gator's rushing offense was virtually non-existent, yet the game was decided by 8 points (basically one bad clock management decision at the end of the 1st half). Defensive stats are irrelevant . The best defensive performance of any team was by ND, and they got smoked because they don't have an offense. Doesn't matter if Blake Baker, Buddy Ryan, or Bea Arthur is the DC- what Lashlee does with the O is going to determine the winner or loser, not what the defense does.

Advertisement
And yet another candidate for "when keeping it mope goes wrong." Bama puts up 500+ yards of offense on almost every team regardless of how good their LB corps is. Neither Miami nor any team in CFB is going to keep Bama from scoring. The way that any team has a chance is by scoring lots of points. UF's defense (gave up 600+ yards total and 5 TDs to Jones) and the Gator's rushing offense was virtually non-existent, yet the game was decided by 8 points (basically one bad clock management decision at the end of the 1st half). Defensive stats are irrelevant . The best defensive performance of any team was by ND, and they got smoked because they don't have an offense. Doesn't matter if Blake Baker, Buddy Ryan, or Bea Arthur is the DC- what Lashlee does with the O is going to determine the winner or loser, not what the defense does.
I believe he said 600 yards rushing...

The decision to not fire Baker will haunt Manny for the rest of his tenure at Miami.
Should only be another year or 2...

Thank God!

The decision to ruin his chance at a decent career as a HC by choosing to leave Temple (where he should have cut his teeth) for a job he could never handle in Miami as a first time HC with no connections or legit coaching tree will haunt him forever...

I believe he said 600 yards rushing...

I try to be polite so I intentionally didn't respond to that part because of the stupidity of it. But since you asked... I like have discussions based in realism and don't have patience for that kind of silliness. If someone wants to say Miami will give up 600-800 yards of total offense, that's realistic. 600 rushing yards is dumb.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The decision to not fire Baker will haunt Manny for the rest of his tenure at Miami.
Diaz can always fire Baker. Now in the offseason, during the season if there was some major meltdown(UNC) or at the end of the season. The question will linger will he ever...remains to be written but it could be MD's undoing for sure if he doesn't fire him in the future as it appears based on the experts here that Baker brings zero positive equity to the team and improved performance from his LB's is a longshot...

I try to be polite so I intentionally didn't respond to that part because of the stupidity of it. But since you asked... I like have discussions based in realism and don't have patience for that kind of silliness. If someone wants to say Miami will give up 600-800 yards of total offense, that's realistic. 600 rushing yards is dumb.
Tell that to UNC...

Advertisement

Don't try to argue with a mopey dope. I'm sure he'll come back with some sort of transitive property of football, wherein if UNC can put up almost 600 yards of rushing on us, then OBVIOUSLY an even better Alabama team will put up more.

Our only chance is that bill O’Brien holds them back

I'm not going to ding Baker too much for LB play. I just don't think any of those guys are all that good to begin with. That's a recruiting (Manny) problem. We've had a fun D for several years (i.e., turnover chain). It's been aggressive and generally speaking, a well-performing unit. It is disappointing that Manny hasn't been able to turn that into better talent. I am hopeful some of that is attributed to the overall lackluster play of the team as a whole and not an indicator of Manny's ability to spot talent and recruit.

Advertisement
Don't try to argue with a mopey dope. I'm sure he'll come back with some sort of transitive property of football, wherein if UNC can put up almost 600 yards of rushing on us, then OBVIOUSLY an even better Alabama team will put up more.

In that UNC game, the DL was an absolute mess. Not talking about LB play. DL wasn't overpowered, they were just lost. Running themselves out of plays, failing to set an edge, etc. It would be hard to be any worse at DL. I'm confident that Jess Simpson is going to address that issue. Miami won't shut down the Bama run game, but no one does. Maybe we give up 200+ yards rushing. Back in the day that was horrible. Nowadays it's not really not a big deal.

So much to unpack, like UM playing man only 35 percent of the time this season...

But as Barry said, our LBs were one of the lowest rated in all of cfb last season, so it is bewildering why Manny would decide to keep the guy in charge of that unit.

More importantly, as pointed out in the article, the LB recruiting has been awful. So how in tf do you not prioritize the 5 Star LB in your own backyard and find a way to get him on campus (not in the article). Playcalling can only do so much when the talent is lacking.

I'm actually rooting for harder for Manny this season than in previous ones bc I love a good "me against the world" story, but man does he make this **** unnecessarily difficult.

"bewildering why Manny would decide to keep the guy in charge of that unit."

Because Manny put Bakers well being above the football programs. That can't be argued now.
He loves that dude. If manny was really was really about the accountability he claims he would have hired a new LB's coach.

"But the view here is UM’s defensive deterioration is more of a recruiting issue than a game-day coaching issue."

Guessing the above + Manny striking out for new DC (Steele, etc. whoever he was targeting) + being friends / yes-man = Baker remains. Manny shoulda pulled the plug here for all the reasons we all know but he dug his grave here now. Bold move cotton, lets see how it plays out...

Would be nice if Baker was good at at least one good thing - playcalling, X & O's, crooting, developing LB's etc. but no one seems to know or doesnt exist? At least we all thought Rumph could coach & develop CB's well until this last season LOL

Advertisement
Back