Barrys Latest

Advertisement
"bewildering why Manny would decide to keep the guy in charge of that unit."

Because Manny put Bakers well being above the football programs. That can't be argued now.
He loves that dude. If manny was really was really about the accountability he claims he would have hired a new LB's coach.

I think there might also be a bit of scapegoating of Baker as a LB coach, which I'm separating from his being a bad DC (no doubt about that). Diaz's LB recruiting in 2017 & 2018 was awful. Not a single quality/productive LB in those 2 years. All the players have been injured and/or not Miami caliber (doubtful P5 caliber at all) I don't think Brooks has particularly good LB instincts but maybe I'm wrong there. If I'm not mistaken, he wasn't even a LB in HS; he played DE. Also as an OLB, I believe he's coached by Patke. Huff has the athletic potential but I believe he is also coached by Patke at OLB. I didn't see TAC on field so I don't know if he's an ILB or OLB (so coached by Patke) and his SPARQ score is average so I don't know how much upside he's got. Seems to be a bit slow for an OLB. The strange thing is that our least athletic LB, Flagg, is also the best LB by leaps and bounds. You could tell that just by watching the games and the stats bear that out (didn't miss a single tackle all season). So if your slowest, least athletic LB is also the best LB, it's not unreasonable to think that he's received decent coaching. LB talent just isn't there. Diaz makes Rumph look like T-Rob when it comes to recruiting their respective positions. This isn't a defense of Baker, I'm just saying I find it hard to really judge how good or bad he is at LB coach because I don't think we have LB talent. If you switched him out with a more well-regarded LB coach, would we see a big improvement at LB with the same talent? I'm not so sure we would.

Last edited:
“If’s” were my concern, as well.

Ppl chit on Rumph all the time (as they should), and have given a pass to Diaz unjustly, and it f’ing makes me sick. U r in South Fla, and if u go Norf, u hit Central Fla, North Fla, GA. If u go slightly NW, u hit AL, MS, and LA.

Now, u might have some problems recruiting blue chips in MS & AL b/c 98% are loyal to the major schools in those states, but the local & close proximity of talent pool around is unimaginable for us, yet we continue to chit the bed over & over & over & over again at the DB & LB positions which are ESSENTIAL in this chaos, undisciplined type of def. We’ve had 2 guys since the 2018 season (Patke & Diaz) & 3 guys since the 2019 season (Diaz, Patke, Baker) who have been responsible for the LB unit! 1 of the 3 gets hella flack, the other is getting a pass b/c of coached up transfers making AA teams & becoming an award winner (on special teams), and the other gets more excuses thrown his way than a corrupt *Olitician getting their dyck sucked in office.

Let’s be very clear:
Shaq, Pinckney, JJ, and Redwine...all Golden players. Those were the best yrs on defense.

Since 2016 (recruiter rankings):
Rumph -
#429 - 2016
#209 - 2017
#135 - 2018
#164 - 2019
#228 - 2020
#727 - 2021 (lol)

Diaz -
#339 - 2016
#139 - 2017
#196 - 2018
#242 - 2019
#304 - 2020 (HC)
#331 - 2021 (HC)

Patke (2018 - Now) -
#UR - 2018 (meaning no recruits)
#316 - 2019
#188 - 2020
#189 - 2021

Baker (2019 - Now) -
#574 - 2019
#484 - 2020
#341 - 2021

So clearly, we know why the CB room sucks, but it’s also clear why our LB room sucks! Yet; everyone is so anxious to point the finger at Rumph & completely absolve Diaz of anything! He and his bumbling idiots have allowed this room to become more unathletic than a 85 yr old speed walk event!

So maybe, just maybe we had our best yr in 2018 under Diaz b/c it was anchored by Gerald Willis (transfer from FL), Joe Jackson (Golden Recruit), Mike Jackson (Golden Recruit), Quarterman (Golden Recruit), Pinckney (Golden Recruit), JJ (Golden Recruit), Redwine (Golden Recruit), & McCloud (when he was decent - Golden Recruit)

8 of the 11 starters on defense were not recruited by Richt’s staff, especially not LB

So we’re replacing Shaq (#5 ILB in the nation & 111th overall) w/ Flagg (#35 ILB in the nation & 830th overall)
We’re replacing Pinckney (#19 ILB & 511th overall) w/ Jennings (#48 OLB & 697th overall)
We’re going back & forth w/ McCloud (#21 OLB & 317th overall) with Sam Brooks (#52 OLB & 750th overall)

So yeah, we suck b/c Golden’s LBs have left (except McCloud who regressed when the scheme got tweaked), & we’re replacing them with inferior (per 247 ratings) players.

Is 247 Bible? No; but it’s pretty accurate for the most part as we see teams on field play.

Too many if’s, and that includes TRob, if imma be honest.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm not going to ding Baker too much for LB play. I just don't think any of those guys are all that good to begin with. That's a recruiting (Manny) problem. We've had a fun D for several years (i.e., turnover chain). It's been aggressive and generally speaking, a well-performing unit. It is disappointing that Manny hasn't been able to turn that into better talent. I am hopeful some of that is attributed to the overall lackluster play of the team as a whole and not an indicator of Manny's ability to spot talent and recruit.
I agree it's probably mostly a recruiting issue (meaning lack of talent) and somewhat a scheme issue but the blame does not rest solely with Manny. Baker is the DC and coaches the LB unit. He is also responsible for signing off on every defensive player we sign. He has to take some, if not the lion's share, of the blame.

I am not absolving Manny because he coached the LB unit before Blake and was the DC before Backer but it's unfair to blame it entirely on Manny. They are BOTH to blame. However, because Manny can't fire himself, that makes Baker the sacrificial lamb.

Ppl chit on Rumph, all the time (as they should), and have given a pass to Diaz unjustly, and it f’ing makes me sick. U r in South Fla, and if u go Norf, u hit Central Fla, North Fla, GA. If u go slightly NW, u hit AL, MS, and LA.

Now, u might have some problems recruiting blue chips in MS & AL b/c 98% are local to the major schools in those states, but the local & close proximity of talent pool around is unimaginable for us, yet we continue to chit the bed over & over & over & over again at the DB & LB positions which are ESSENTIAL in this chaos, undisciplined type of def. We’ve had 2 guys since the 2018 season (Patke & Diaz) & 3 guys since the 2019 season (Diaz, Patke, Baker) who have been responsible for the LB unit! 1 of the 3 gets hella flack, the other is getting a pass b/c of coached up transfers making AA teams & becoming an award winner (on special teams), and the other gets more excuses thrown his way than a corrupt *Olitician getting their dyck sucked in office.

Let’s be very clear:
Shaq, Pinckney, JJ, and Redwine...all Golden players. Those were the best yrs on defense.

Rumph -
#429 - 2016
#209 - 2017
#135 - 2018
#164 - 2019
#228 - 2020
#727 - 2021 (lol)

Diaz -
#339 - 2016
#139 - 2017
#196 - 2018
#242 - 2019
#304 - 2020 (HC)
#331 - 2021 (HC)

Patke (2018 - Now) -
#316 - 2019
#188 - 2020
#189 - 2021

Baker (2019 - Now) -
#574 - 2019
#484 - 2020
#341 - 2021

So clearly, we know why the CB room sucks, but it’s also clear why our LB room sucks! Yet; everyone is so anxious to point the finger at Rumph & completely absolve Diaz of anything! He and his bumbling idiots have allowed this room to become more unathletic than a 85 yr old speed walk event!

So maybe, just maybe we had our best yr in 2018 under Diaz b/c it was anchored by Gerald Willis (transfer from FL), Joe Jackson (Golden Recruit), Mike Jackson (Golden Recruit), Quarterman (Golden Recruit), Pinckney (Golden Recruit), JJ (Golden Recruit), Redwine (Golden Recruit), & McCloud (when he was decent - Golden Recruit)

8 of the 11 starters on defense were not recruited by Richt’s staff, especially not LB

So we’re replacing Shaq (#5 ILB in the nation & 111th overall) w/ Flagg (#35 ILB in the nation & 830th overall)
We’re replacing Pinckney (#19 ILB & 511th overall) w/ Jennings (#48 OLB & 697th overall)
We’re going back & forth w/ McCloud (#21 OLB & 317th overall) with Sam Brooks (#52 OLB & 750th overall)

So yeah, we suck b/c Golden’s LBs have left (except McCloud who regressed when the scheme got tweaked), & we’re replacing them with inferior (per 247 ratings) players.

Is 247 Bible? No; but it’s pretty accurate for the most part as we see teams on field play.

Replace Baker with Golden as LB coach? Hmmm..

bj.jpg

Advertisement

Ppl chit on Rumph, all the time (as they should), and have given a pass to Diaz unjustly, and it f’ing makes me sick. U r in South Fla, and if u go Norf, u hit Central Fla, North Fla, GA. If u go slightly NW, u hit AL, MS, and LA.

Now, u might have some problems recruiting blue chips in MS & AL b/c 98% are local to the major schools in those states, but the local & close proximity of talent pool around is unimaginable for us, yet we continue to chit the bed over & over & over & over again at the DB & LB positions which are ESSENTIAL in this chaos, undisciplined type of def. We’ve had 2 guys since the 2018 season (Patke & Diaz) & 3 guys since the 2019 season (Diaz, Patke, Baker) who have been responsible for the LB unit! 1 of the 3 gets hella flack, the other is getting a pass b/c of coached up transfers making AA teams & becoming an award winner (on special teams), and the other gets more excuses thrown his way than a corrupt *Olitician getting their dyck sucked in office.

Let’s be very clear:

Rumph -
#429 - 2016
#209 - 2017
#135 - 2018
#164 - 2019
#228 - 2020
#727 - 2021 (lol)

Diaz -
#339 - 2016
#139 - 2017
#196 - 2018
#242 - 2019
#304 - 2020 (HC)
#331 - 2021 (HC)

Patke (2018 - Now) -
#316 - 2019
#188 - 2020
#189 - 2021

Baker (2019 - Now) -
#574 - 2019
#484 - 2020
#341 - 2021

So yeah, we suck b/c Golden’s LBs have left (except McCloud who regressed when the scheme got tweaked), b/c we’re replacing them with inferior (per 247 ratings) players. Is 247 Bible? No; but it’s pretty accurate for the most part as we see teams on field play.

If Miami had signed T2 and the polynesian kid as LBs, then suddenly Baker would look like a much better LB coach. Diaz's terrible LB recruiting for several years has been overshadowed by the Baker "to DC or not DC" conversation.

If Miami had signed T2 and the polynesian kid as LBs, then suddenly Baker would look like a much better LB coach. Diaz's terrible LB recruiting for several years has been overshadowed by the Baker "to DC or not DC" conversation.

Correct

Let’s be very clear:

Rumph -
#429 - 2016
#209 - 2017
#135 - 2018
#164 - 2019
#228 - 2020
#727 - 2021 (lol)

Diaz -
#339 - 2016
#139 - 2017
#196 - 2018
#242 - 2019
#304 - 2020 (HC)
#331 - 2021 (HC)

Patke (2018 - Now) -
#316 - 2019
#188 - 2020
#189 - 2021

Baker (2019 - Now) -
#574 - 2019
#484 - 2020
#341 - 2021

Everything you posted is spot on. However, even with those abysmal ranking numbers...it's not like we're playing an SEC West schedule. Top to bottom, we have more talent than any team we've played (according to rankings) outside of Clemson and when we play OOC SEC games (LSU and Bama next year). It's mind boggling how we keep ******** it up over the last 18 years, so this isn't totally on CMD, it goes higher up than that.

Advertisement
Everything you posted is spot on. However, even with those abysmal ranking numbers...it's not like we're playing an SEC West schedule. Top to bottom, we have more talent than any team we've played (according to rankings) outside of Clemson and when we play OOC SEC games (LSU and Bama next year). It's mind boggling how we keep ******** it up over the last 18 years, so this isn't totally on CMD, it goes higher up than that.

Again, correct. I’ve touched upon this point numerous times as well.

Since 2016 in the ACC:
#3 recruiting class (FSU, Clemson ahead)
#2 recruiting class (FSU ahead)
#2 recruiting class (Clemson ahead)
#4 recruiting class (FSU, Clemson, & VT ahead)
#3 recruiting class (Clemson, UNC ahead)

Outside of 2019 & 2020, we’ve out recruited every single team in the Coastal, and collectively, it’s no contest. Yet, we continue to struggle. So when does it STOP being about Jimmy & Joe’s, & more towards X’s & O’s? B/c if U’re recruiting/evaluating a certain type of LB to fit ur X & O scheme, then who’s fault is it when said player looks out of place?

The decision to not fire Baker will haunt Manny for the rest of his tenure at Miami.
This is one of the few times I hope you're wrong. Because if you're right, this means we'll be bringing in a new HC within the next year or two, and all that'll do is just prolong our return to college football glory another 4-5 years. 🤞

:snoopfacepalm:

Advertisement
Again, correct. I’ve touched upon this point numerous times as well.

Since 2016 in the ACC:
#3 recruiting class (FSU, Clemson ahead)
#2 recruiting class (FSU ahead)
#4 recruiting class (FSU, Clemson, & VT ahead)
#3 recruiting class (Clemson, UNC ahead)

Outside of 2019 & 2020, we’ve out recruited every single team in the Coastal, and collectively, it’s no contest. Yet, we continue to struggle. So when does it STOP being about Jimmy & Joe’s, & more towards X’s & O’s? B/c if U’re recruiting/evaluating a certain type of LB to fit ur X & O scheme, then who’s fault is it when said player looks out of place?
If those recruits are not coached up those stars out of high school have little meaning.

Advertisement
Back