Barry Jackson practice nuggets

Advertisement
In before this gets tossed.

I'm good with Berrios at PR. We should have Deejay or Jeff Thomas dialed in too though for returns if trailing late in the game.

Norton/MCIntosh best DT combo since last year. Long time before that to even find anything comparable. This D gonna be nasty.

If we got Allison on point, with Shirreffs and Rosier close behind coming out of spring with Perry entering competition come summer... Let the bullets fly and see who survives. Whoever does, this team is going to be an issue for the country to contend with. There's questions to be answered, yes, and still some depth concerns, but it's happening.
I want a battle between Allison and perry. Best 2 talents at qb imo when perry gets here

Allison is gonna have to move up from his place of third on the depth chart first. Herndon said yesterday that Allison was "accepting his role and leading when he got in there". It didn't read like Allison is in the top two. He was third in throwing drills as of Tuesday. Gonna need to make a move during the scrimmage on Saturday.

sounds to me like you should not be reading too much into the order. It is just seems to be based on seniority and not necessarily who is ahead. Just my .02

Maybe but it has also been reported that he isn't getting as many first team reps as Shirreffs and Rosier. The seniority stuff doesn't seem to be a thing along other positions.

My thinking is also because there really isn't too much separation between the qbs (I have read that as well).

Sounds like we have mediocre qbs on the roster. Thats needs to get sorted out and fast. Great news about Dallas and Gauthier. Hopefully Gauthier locks that spot up.

Side note - Coley may have struck gold with Kaaya, but all his other evals are trash. Were stuck with 3 qbs who cant make simple throws. Hopefully Perry can show something bc we are gonna need a Qb if we want to win against FSU...

Personally, i think Richt wants one of "his" QBs to win the job. He's going to give Perry every chance in the world to prove himself.

Unless Richt sent the playbook to him for Christmas I don't see him catching up with only fall practice to be judged on his abilities to run the offense...

Limit the playbook like he did with Kayaa. Except for he can run with Perry what Kayaa was limited to running

There is always uncertainty when searching for a new starting QB, especially when you're replacing one that will be drafted.

That said, some of you guys have your panties in a sticky wad a little too much. We are light years ahead of where we were when all we had heading into Spring was Morris and Highsmith.

Advertisement
Sounds like we have mediocre qbs on the roster. Thats needs to get sorted out and fast. Great news about Dallas and Gauthier. Hopefully Gauthier locks that spot up.

Side note - Coley may have struck gold with Kaaya, but all his other evals are trash. Were stuck with 3 qbs who cant make simple throws. Hopefully Perry can show something bc we are gonna need a Qb if we want to win against FSU...

Personally, i think Richt wants one of "his" QBs to win the job. He's going to give Perry every chance in the world to prove himself.

Unless Richt sent the playbook to him for Christmas I don't see him catching up with only fall practice to be judged on his abilities to run the offense...

He has a playbook. I think they said they been sending him videos breaking down stuff too.

Lots of great bits in there. The line about Gauthier being impressive is very significant and great to hear. No way Linder gets his job back and that's a good thing. This OL should be vastly improved. Michael Irving Jr was my sleeper to make noise this year. If Haskins can hold it together outside the lines we will have an elite TE corps.

I sincerely hope everyone on this front seven stays healthy. Not because we are thin but because if they stay healthy they are going to be something to watch this year and that all that really needs to be said. If there is a better front seven in the country, I want to see it. I am actually very positive in my outlook for the secondary. I think Malek Young is a budding star then add a guy like Michael Jackson who is in his third year and is putting it together. Then add Dean, Delaney and Bandy to that and I'll take it any day. Jaquan Johnson and Redwine should hold down the safety spots while Amari gets comfortable. Depth at safety is decent. This defense could be a vintage UM defense. I can't wait.

Outside of TE and OL on offense, we will be relatively young at WR but more talented than we have been for awhile with some serious speed. If Cager can be fully integrated by Fall and Berrios has a good senior year we should be more than good with Richards, the 3 true frosh and Mullins. Depth at RB is flat out embarrassing for a program like UM. Walton and Homer will be a solid to very good 1-2 punch. Beyond that we desperately need Chocolate to step up and for Burns to stay healthy. If that happens then we should be fine but if injuries hit at RB, I could see Deejay getting some reps there and Charles Perry is also a possibility.

Finally at QB it's encouraging to hear that there has been some separation with Allison, Sheriffs and Rosier slugging it out. I have zero clue what is going to happen here but I would prefer 1 QB to take the lead going into summer workouts. Still without plugging Perry in to the equation, I feel good about what these 3 QBs can bring to the table. I have great faith in Richt's ability to coach them up and at least we should have solid depth at QB. This program is literally on the verge of breaking out in a big way and the guy that wins the QB battle will have a huge impact on that.

Guys, if and it's a big if......If the winner of this QB competition is for real and has what it takes, this could be a memorable year. No I'm not saying we will win our 6th or make the playoffs but this year could be the beginning of our triumphant return to the forefront of college football! Go Canes!

This dude gets what's up.
6e7f17691254b4c7c25c18e4d70fd501.jpg

Qb looking like its going to be a problem.

It likely will be a problem because of no experience. But I wouldn't base anything on these lame practice reports from guys who aren't even allowed to watch practice.

I dont think its because inexperience. I just dont think those dudes are that good.

Maybe they aren't. But even if your boy Perry is the QB there will be problems, and you think he's very good.

Kaaya
Rosen
Eason
Hurts
Watson
Stidham
Patterson

some true freshman QBs have had success lately

Jared Goff started every game as a true frosh. Ended up the #1 pick in the draft.
However what happens to this list when you take out the EE's. Because Perry isn't an EE.

Advertisement
Don't quite get why Berrios gets no love as a returner. As coach said, he was 11th in the nation in yards per return. Eleventh. That's ahead of guys like Kamara at Tenn. And he doesn't fumble. I'd like Hester back there too, but Jesus . . . .

Don't quite get why Berrios gets no love as a returner. As coach said, he was 11th in the nation in yards per return. Eleventh. That's ahead of guys like Kamara at Tenn. And he doesn't fumble. I'd like Hester back there too, but Jesus . . . .

because he's short and white

Qb looking like its going to be a problem.

It likely will be a problem because of no experience. But I wouldn't base anything on these lame practice reports from guys who aren't even allowed to watch practice.

I dont think its because inexperience. I just dont think those dudes are that good.

Maybe they aren't. But even if your boy Perry is the QB there will be problems, and you think he's very good.

I dont know if he will be ready game 1. I think he can be good. Never said he was going to be that day 1.

To make these predictions and pronouncements over a filler article from Barry Jackson, whose one source might be the turf maintenance guy, is just a tad bit ridiculous.

Nothing in this article gives me much confidence as to the accuracy of this "report"

Remember, these press guys get 15 minutes in the morning to watch the players stretch, and after that it's whatever source they have. Barry is not the worst of them by far, but I doubt he's getting very good information. In fact in reading this article, some of the info seems kind of sketchy to me

Aside from the fact that he uses canesport for recruiting info in his blog, Barry Jackson is one of the best in the media and has legit sources. Idk where tf you been but Barry Jackson definitely has his sources.

Barry is my guy, but some of the info doesn't mesh with what I've heard. Allison is getting the least 1st team reps right now between him, Rosier, and Shirreffs

interesting, because if that's the case, it triangulates with what austin hinted at in your interview last month. rosier is the most experienced, but shireffs may be the mot complete package right now among the QB's.

Advertisement
Linder is one of the worst OL to play at Miami since Tyler McMeans

Linder is terrible. So happy Gautier is holding down that position

Was it Linder or Gall that got blowed up against Cincy?

I remember Gall getting pushed around in 2015. He looked much better last season.

Hmmm. Thought the cat from the track squad was suppose to come out this year and maybe help with the return game.

Advertisement
I may have missed the mention, but how is Romeo Finley doing? Doubt he'd start or anything, but I don't read much on him

Interesting news about Allison... again encouraging
What we're hearing from University of Miami spring football practice | Miami Herald
Ten nuggets we’re hearing from UM’s closed spring football practices, which are about halfway completed:

• The quarterback play remains a work in progress, with some good moments but lots of inconsistency.

One observer says Jack Allison has looked good and throws with more authority than the other competitors. Malik Rosier knows the offense well, and his running ability is an asset, but inconsistency remains an issue.

ADVERTISING

Evan Shirreffs’ accuracy has been uneven. Cade Weldon is still learning the offense and behind several veterans.

• The experiment of moving Sheldrick Redwine from corner to safety is going well; he’s a good tackler, which should make him a solid safety opposite Jaquan Johnson. He doesn’t have great speed for cornerback but his speed for safety is fine.

• UM loves how intelligent and alert new safety Amari Carter is, believing he won’t blow assignments. He also has very good instincts. Safety Robert Knowles also has been impressive at times.

• Freshman receiver DeeJay Dallas made two great catches Tuesday, has strong hands and can go up and snatch the ball. He’s going to be a very good player. Though Darrell Langham has improved some, his hands remain an issue.

• A UM official said Kendrick Norton and RJ McIntosh have been so impressive that there’s no reason they shouldn’t be UM’s best defensive tackle combo in many years.

• Linebacker Darrion Owens, who still has two years of eligibility remaining, has looked less hesitant two years removed from knee surgery. Coaches like his character, energy, length and physicality and he will be an asset as a fourth linebacker.

• Tight ends coach Todd Hartley said this week he is “really pleased” with Michael Irvin Jr.’s development and that he and fellow backup tight end Jovani Haskins – both suspended for the bowl game – have made “significant strides.”

Though early enrollee Brian Polendey is known mostly for strong blocking, a UM official said he’s a big target and catches the ball well. But Hartley said he has “a long way to go.”

Hartley said starter Chris Herndon can “be the best tight end in the country. He’s always been a great pass catcher [but] been overshadowed “ by departed David Njoku.

• As good as Joe Jackson was last season (8.5 sacks), one UM person said impressive early enrollee/ defensive end Jon Garvin has been better than Jackson was at a similar stage. Garvin has terrific pass-rush moves.

• Tyler Gauthier has been so impressive at center that it’s no longer automatic that Brandon Linder will get his starting job back when he returns from injury.

• Braxton Berrios likely will remain the punt returner - “he was 11th in the country, I’ll take 11th in the country,” Hartley said – but the kick return job is wide open, with Dallas, receiver Dionte Mullins and perhaps summer arrivals Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley all warranting a look.

Read more here: What we're hearing from University of Miami spring football practice | Miami Herald

From the Kaaya podcast I heard I believe Brad disagrees about Evan Shirreffs’ "uneven" accuracy.

The OL could look like this in the fall if Linder and Odogwu are healthy:

1st team:
LT St Louis
LG Darling
C Linder
RG Gauthier
RT Donaldson

2nd team:
LT McDermott
LG Milo
C Gaynor
RG Herbert
RT Odogwu

Move Gauthier inside and put McDermott at RG and you have the makings of a potentially outstanding line.

People underestimate what another year of S&C and experience can do for an OL. Darling can be a high caliber guard. He has always played out of position. Linder is tenacious when healthy but does not have the size and strength of Gauthier. Gauthier is the better player to me. RIcht has no Linder allegiance ala Golden. He'll play the best man. I think it's Gauthier.

Also I bet you or anyone that Odogwu transfers so he can start. It's in his best interest and he is eligible to do so. Herbert is a Tackle, not a guard. Also Milo will not be second team. I bet Dykstra has already passed him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back