Barry Jackson notes and mike rumph thoughts on the corner depth

Is he a lot shorter than listed? I thought he was 5'11"? Bandy and Young weren't bad in the second half of their freshmen years. I'll take that. On film, Williams looks taller with more athleticism than either coming out of HS.
He's in that area. If I had to guess I'd say a lil shorter. But if I was drunk I could say 5'11. I'd be hella ****ed up though.

Advertisement
Are you kidding with the 5-star comment? He's been horrific at 3 and 4-star recruits.
Ridiculous comment, in the last 4 recruiting classes he’s signed 8 4 star cbs and 2 3 star cbs. That’s the best cb recruiting we have had in years, not even close. Hard to lure 5 stars when you got the elite of the elite recruiting them hard saban/smart plus the trajectory of the programs on a national scale compared to what Miami had been the last 2 seasons. Most of these elite kids think they are too good to play for Miami anyway especially most elite kids from south Florida(broward for sure) why are you shocked, most are bandwagoners

Last edited:
Are you kidding with the 5-star comment? He's been horrific at 3 and 4-star recruits.

Not sure what you have against rumph. He develops who he gets, and has done great when we had grad transfers.

He has signed a top 25-ranked corner (on each of the past 3 recruiting cycles (all 4 stars, I add), which included 3 4-star recruits in 2018 all coveted by everyone.

His two starting corners for this season were both 2018 class 4 stars, with the 3rd now starting at striker.

I really don’t get the rumph slander. Like it makes zero sense. You’re mad we didn’t get Surtain or Campbell? Did we make it to the playoff? If not then we won’t get those kids. It is what it is. He’s made starters out of the talent we got, which was recruited by everyone and their mother as well. If blades went to bama y’all been crowning him.

As Chris Rock said on that Rozay intro- sit down in the corner, shut the **** up, and take notes, *****.

Advertisement
Ridiculous comment, in the last 4 recruiting classes he’s signed 8 4 star cbs and 2 3 star cbs. That’s the best cb recruiting we have had in years, not even close. Hard to lure 5 stars when you got the elite of the elite recruiting them hard saban/smart plus the trajectory of the programs on a national scale compared to what Miami had been the last 2 seasons. Most of these elite kids think they are too good to play for Miami anyway especially most elite kids from south Florida(broward for sure) why are you shocked, most are bandwagoners
Not sure it’s appropriate to site someone’s recruiting history and than use the past two seasons as the reason they haven’t recruited better? The ones he’s signed, your praise, caused those records. It obviously couldn’t be the reason because they hadn’t happened yet 🤔 He’s missed on “everyone” important, spent time on kids he shouldn’t have, burned bridges and taken less at the position than we needed because of those reasons. Also, his physical requirements have been more important than what the tape shows sometimes. Yes, he’s gotten a few “late” and the stars are ok. However, the numbers don’t lie. He’s never finished ONE CLASS FULL with what we’ve needed. He also shouldn’t get all of the blame because he’s not the only one who recruited the secondary. It is what it is. FWIW Henderson was a Cane and he burned that bridge after the kid sat at an all star game. Perfect example of self inflicted pain. We had success and he didn’t capitalize the way he could have. It’s 50/50 not a slam dunk with Rumph

Last edited:
Not sure it’s appropriate to site someone’s recruiting history and than use the past two seasons as the reason they haven’t recruited better? The ones he’s signed, your praise, caused those records. It obviously couldn’t be the reason because they hadn’t happened yet 🤔 He’s missed on “everyone” important, spent time on kids he shouldn’t have, burned bridges and taken less at the position than we needed because of those reasons. Also, his physical requirements have been more important than what the tape shows sometimes. Yes, he’s gotten a few “late” and the stars are ok. However, the numbers don’t lie. He’s never finished ONE CLASS FULL with what we’ve needed. He also shouldn’t get all of the blame because he’s not the only one who recruited the secondary. It is what it is. FWIW Henderson was a Cane and he burned that bridge after the kid sat at an all star game. Perfect example of self inflicted pain. We had success and he didn’t capitalize the way he could have. It’s 50/50 not a slam dunk with Rumph

Cb and ol are always the positions we’re running around desperately looking late. We just luckily find a guy late that makes it not look quite as bad and takes the focus off the nine guys we missed on lol. That’s our game plan.

We literally took a couple guys the last few years that didn’t play next to no cb their entire careers until their Sr season. Both were recruited at wr by every other school.

Last edited:

brick you're on the recruiting board enough to know that this is an absolutely garbage statement. His numbers at cornerback have been atrocious here. I really don't have time for your s*** this morning. And I normally like you.

Cb and ol are always the positions we’re running around desperately looking late. We just luckily find a guy late that makes it not look quite as bad and takes the focus off the nine guys we missed on lol. That’s our game plan.

We literally took a couple guys the last few years that didn’t play next to no cb their entire careers until their Sr season. Both were recruited at wr by every other school.
So what, our cb room has been lacking corners with those type of ball skills. 2 of the best cbs we have had this decade played mostly offense in highschool in corn Elder and malek Young and those guys turned out well. And I see Clarke but who else are you referring too other than bethel? I never Wanted Miami to take bethel anyway

you either get the job done or you don’t. When you don’t have the full capability to recruit who you want when you want to you Have to do what you got to do 🤷🏾‍♂️. They could have Asante Samuel early on when rumph wanted to recruit him but no Diaz and the rest waited until jobe flipped to turn the heat up, and some still spin it as a miss for rumph. Almost similar situation with Jaden Davis but I’m not tripping we got tecory couch

Last edited:
Advertisement
Anyone would miss on anyone important when you are going against some of the best recruiters of all time and have had middling success at the position for a number of years. People complain about rumph recruiting but don’t say sh*t about more deficient areas on the roster due to sh*tty recruiting that have even less talent. Never mind the fact that he coaches the guys up he do get very well. Rumph only been here since 2016 and he’s all ready coached at least 4 of the top 5 cbs this decade for Miami in Trajan bandy, corn elder, Michael Jackson, malek Young and some other good ones like blades. People just got this weird obsession with complaining about rumph. Missed on “everyone important”, only who should have that label is cj henderson, the rest of the guys he missed on havent done enough or even played better than 2 of the guys he did get in bandy in his career at Miami and blades in recent years so it is what it is.

So what, our cb room has been lacking corners with those type of ball skills. 2 of the best cbs we have had this decade played mostly offense in highschool in corn Elder and malek Young and those guys turned out well. And I see Clarke but who else are you referring too other than bethel? I never Wanted Miami to take bethel anyway

you either get the job done or you don’t. When you don’t have the full capability to recruit who you want when you want to you Have to do what you got to do 🤷🏾‍♂️. They could have Asante Samuel early on when rumph wanted to recruit him but no Diaz and the rest waited until jobe flipped to turn the heat up, and some still spin it as a miss for rumph. Almost similar situation with Jaden Davis but I’m not tripping we got tecory couch

Our depth has been bad at cb for years now, I’m not sure how some of the Rumph slurpers argue this. It is what it is at this point but whatever.

Having 4-5 cb on the roster is not good and that’s all we ever have lately.

Why do you suppose every year the fan base wants a juco cb?

But keep your head in the sand. I’m just shocked you can blindly defend this.

I’m not saying fire dude but his recruiting has been bad , if he wasn’t a former cane everyone would agree with that. I mean he went to a shrink for his recruiting issues . He doesn’t like it , he’s awkward at it and the kids sense that.

Great guy , crappy recruiter.

Lol @ The Rumph defenders in this thread.

1. Shame on you @brock for trying to discredit our DB history. So I’m going to randomly throw some names out there off the top of my dome & I may be all over the place:

-Ryan McNeil : 2nd round pick, pro bowler, lead league in interceptions either in 96 or 97.

-Duane Starks: 1st round pick, SB champion

-Antrel Rolle: 1st round pick, 3x PB, SB champion

-Mike Rumph: 1st round pick

-Phillip Buchanan: 1st round pick

-Kelly Jennings: 1st round pick

-Bennie Blades: 1st round pick, PB, and All Pro

-DeMarcus Van Dyke: 3rd round pick

-Brandon Harris: 2nd round pick

-Artie Burns: 1st round pick

I know I’m missing some earlier guys, but this is just the CB group, not even counting the S group. We’ve pumped out 1st - 3rd round CB talent. That’s not including guys drafted later rounds or undrafted who hung around the league & made PB appearances (Earl Little & Sam Shields). What these guys did at the next level, you are correct, most didn’t do much. The point that @Dwinstitles was making was kids hear “From The University of Miami” in the 1st or 2nd round, that’s **** to them.

Lol @ Rumph defenders talking about his recruiting acumen. Lol. Rumph has been here for 5 yrs. We have 4 CBs on the roster, currently, 1 CB on the way, and another who’s an ATH trying to become a CB. Lol. 6 CBs on the roster in a 5 yr recruiting period! GTFOH.

So let’s talk recruiting:

2016:
You don’t get props for last minute offering Malek Young when guys like @Liberty City El was clamoring for us to offer him well b4 Rumph offered in 2016. Btw, he had no choice to offer him b/c he struck out on EVERY DB in 16. Young was our only recruit. (1st yr, so we’ll give him a pass). Well, Young got injured unfortunately, so that wipes out the 16 class.

2017:
You would THINK he would’ve went big in the recruiting dept for 17 since we only took 1 CB in 16....welp, u would be wrong. Richt had to step in and apologize to Bandy for the previous staff overlooking him. But Bandy did commit, and Rumph “beat” Bama for a JUCO CB in Dean. So we recruited one guy w/ 3-4 yrs of eligibility & another w 2yrs eligibility. The latter sucked & contributed nothing, with the former had one great freshman yr b/c he played slot, like he should, but b/c of the lack of CB depth, was forced to play boundary and became exposed every year thereafter. Neither are here.....that wipes out the 17 class

2018:
Coming of Miami’s first 10 win season in a minute, and first ever ACCCG appearance, surely Rumph would take advantage of such momentum:
Coach Brown did: (Lo, Cam, George <1 ranked FB>)
Coach Dugans did (Pope, Hightower, Ezzard)
Coach Hartley did (Jordan, Mallory)
Coach Banda did (Hall, Frierson, Ivey (sorry Brock, Banda took lead on him. Lol)
Coach Searels did (Scaife, Reed)

But Rumph.....Rumph was in cruise control. Blades Jr recommitted on Father’s Day. Rumph has some aces in his back pocket though...The Heritage Boys. Matter of fact, this was his sole purpose of being here. Surely his relationship w Campbell since he was a kid, and Surtain II as a teen would get one of two. Nope! We were left w/ 0. So we settled for Nigel Bethel as a consolation. Oh, Bethel ain't here. lol.

So far, in 3 yrs, Rumph is responsible for 1 CB on the roster.

2019:
After an unmitigated disaster of a season, ironically this was Rumph’s best yr as a recruiter, recruiting both Couch & Williams. And it filled a need, one boundary, one slot/nickel. Here’s the problem....we only took 2 CBs this class. Both were last minute pick ups, and thank God they were. We were this close to striking out on every 19 DB. With our lack of depth, we should’ve NEVER been in this position.

2020:
Looking at the CB room, again Rumph was this close to striking out on CBs. He got a last minute flip of Dunson (considered a 4 star) and Clarke, which is an ATH.

So can we recap Rumph’s tenure as a recruiter:
2016: 1 CB recruited (Injured)
2017: 2 CB recruited (Both gone)
2018: 2 CB recruited (1 gone, 1 here)
2019: 2 CB recruited (both here)
2020: 1 CB recruited / 1 ATH recruited (2 here)

Rumph has recruited 4 CBs on roster and 1 converted CB. 5 CB recruits on roster he’s responsible for, in 5 yrs!! GTFOH!

And LOL at his teaching abilities. Dean, sucked. Delaney went from a 4th round prospect at The Citadel to undraftable after one yr here. Bandy got progressively worst, and will become undrafted. Colbert is what we’re hanging our hats on, huh? M Jax actually slipped a bit from year 3 to year 4 and his draft stock slipped, as well. Blades is the hope for Rumph to get some sort of rep.

TBH, I’m not a Rumph fan...don’t think he should be on staff. His sole job was class of 18 and he failed miserably. Our CB room is a hot mess, and it’s directly on him. 5 CB recruits on roster in 5 yrs under his watch is un f’ing believable.

Last edited:
[QUO

Lol @ Rumph defenders talking about his recruiting acumen. Lol. Rumph has been here for 5 yrs. We have 4 CBs on the roster, currently, 1 CB on the way, and another who’s an ATH trying to become a CB. Lol. 6 CBs on the roster in a 5 yr recruiting period! GTFOH.

2016:
You don’t get props for last minute offering Malek Young when guys like @Liberty City El was clamoring for us to offer him well b4 Rumph offered in 2016. Btw, he had no choice to offer him b/c he struck out on EVERY DB in 16. Young was our only recruit. (1st yr, so we’ll give him a pass). Well, Young got injured unfortunately, so that wipes out the 16 class.

Young came with RICHT. That wasnt even a Rumph recruit.

2017:
You would THINK he would’ve went big in the recruiting dept for 17 since we only took 1 CB in 16....welp, u would be wrong. Richt had to step in and apologize to Bandy for the previous staff overlooking him. But Bandy did commit, and Rumph “beat” Bama for a JUCO CB in Dean. So we recruited one guy w/ 3-4 yrs of eligibility & another w 2yrs eligibility. The latter sucked & contributed nothing, with the former had one great freshman yr b/c he played slot, like he should, but b/c of the lack of CB depth, was forced to play boundary and became exposed every year thereafter. Neither are here.....that wipes out the 17 class

2018:
Coming of Miami’s first 10 win season in a minute, and first ever ACCCG appearance, surely Rumph would take advantage of such momentum:
Coach Banda did (Hall, Frierson, Ivey (sorry Brock, Banda took lead on him. Lol)

But Rumph.....Rumph was in cruise control. Blades Jr recommitted on Father’s Day. Rumph has some aces in his back pocket though...The Heritage Boys. Matter of fact, this was his sole purpose of being here. Surely his relationship w Campbell since he was a kid, and Surtain II as a teen would get one of two. Nope! We were left w/ 0. So we settled for Nigel Bethel as a consolation. Oh, Bethel at here.

2019:
After an unmitigated disaster of a season, ironically this was Rumph’s best yr as a recruiter, recruiting both Couch & Williams. And it filled a need, one boundary, one slot/nickel. Here’s the problem....we only took 2 CBs this class. Both were last minute pick ups, and thank God they were. We were this close to striking out on every 19 DB. With our lack of depth, we should’ve NEVER been in this position.

2020:
Looking at the CB room, again Rumph was this close to striking out on CBs. He got a last minute flip of Dunson (considered a 4 star) and Clarke is an ATH.

Rumph has recruited 4 CBs on roster and 1 converted CB. 5 CB recruits on roster he’s responsible for, in 5 yrs!! GTFOH!

And LOL at his teaching abilities. Dean, sucked. Delaney went from a 4th round prospect at The Citadel to undraftable after one yr here. Bandy got progressively worst, and will become undrafted. Colbert is what we’re hanging our hats on, huh? M Jax actually slipped a bit from year 3 to year 4 and his draft stock slipped, as well. Blades is the hope for Rumph to get some sort of rep.

TBH, I’m not a Rumph fan...don’t think he should be on staff. His sole job was class of 18 and he failed miserably. Our CB room is a hot mess, and it’s directly on him. 5 CB recruits on roster in 5 yrs under his watch is un f’ing believable.
[/QUOTE]

But they dont hear it though....

Advertisement

1. Shame on you @brock for trying to discredit our DB history. So I’m going to randomly throw some names out there off the top of my dome & I may be all over the place:

-Ryan McNeil : 2nd round pick, pro bowler, lead league in interceptions either in 96 or 97.

I know I’m missing some earlier guys, but this is just the CB group, not even counting the S group. We’ve pumped out 1st - 3rd round CB talent. That’s not including guys drafted later rounds or undrafted who hung around the league & made PB appearances (Earl Little & Sam Shields). What these guys did at the next level, you are correct, most didn’t do much. The point that @Dwinstitles was making was kids hear “From The University of Miami” in the 1st or 2nd round, that’s **** to them.

2016:

2017:

2018:

But Rumph.....Rumph was in cruise control. Blades Jr recommitted on Father’s Day. Rumph has some aces in his back pocket though...The Heritage Boys. Matter of fact, this was his sole purpose of being here. Surely his relationship w Campbell since he was a kid, and Surtain II as a teen would get one of two. Nope! We were left w/ 0. So we settled for Nigel Bethel as a consolation. Oh, Bethel at here.

2019:

2020:
Looking at the CB room, again Rumph was this close to striking out on CBs. He got a last minute flip of Dunson (considered a 4 star) and Clarke is an ATH.

[QUO

2016:

2017:

2018:

2019:

2020:

[/QUOTE]

It’s seriously not a debate.

2016:

2017:

2018:

2019:

2020:

Whole passage full of hate, bring that same energy to the rest of these coaches. Until then I aint Trying to hear none of that sh*t🤷🏾‍♂️. This is Not worth responding much to considering some of y’all have a weird way for distorting this argument however you see fit to discredit rumph regardless. But you know what...

2016 what the **** are you talking about? You act like rumph was here that whole cycle he got here in December and Young was committed the next month . The flaming cb Tyler bryd wanted to play butt buddies with **** fils aime in Tennessee, that’s his fault he flipped?

2017 this bandy comment tells me you not watching this sh*t closely. Bandy did not get exposed EVERY year after playing on the outside. He had a phenomenal and his best year at Miami his sophomore year. In regards to his recruitment Plenty of kids grew up “cane fans” and didn’t end up here, it’s a long list of those so give credit where it’s due. Just because they said They were fans don’t mean they going to come here, sh*t is stupid thinking that way period.

Lol if you think rumph had NOTHING To do with frierson(STAYING with Miami) and Ivey’s recruitment. Just utterly illogical thinking.

Y’all think elite corners being recruited by the likes of Saban and kirby smart going to be easy battles? Y’all be out y’all rabid *** mind. Db is literally the hardest position to recruit and the most coveted of the big time schools in south Florida. Lol if you think rumph got hired here solely based on landing those 2 guys. Campbell was NEVER that interested in coming here, read the tea leaves. It was always some other team and a mention of Miami. First lsu was leader, then Ohio state then Clemson and then bama/Georgia. Miami NEVER led, perfect case of him thinking he was too good for Miami, a lot of elite broward kids feel that way and no disrespect to Campbell or his family but a lot of those top kids are band wagoners and are going to go to the “hot “ schools.

And How the **** was tecory couch a late pickup when he flipped from Michigan in the summer.
Flipped 2 dbs from down brown and one that was committed to saban/going to flip to Corey raymond. **** good job recruiting there.

I’ve said my thoughts on his coaching, you just hating at this point.

Advertisement

2016:

2017:

2018:

2019:

2020:

Whole passage full of hate, bring that same energy to the rest of these coaches. Until then I aint Trying to hear none of that sh*t🤷🏾‍♂️. This is Not worth responding much to considering some of y’all have a weird way for distorting this argument however you see fit to discredit rumph regardless. But you know what...

2016 what the **** are you talking about? You act like rumph was here that whole cycle he got here in December and Young was committed the next month . The flaming cb Tyler bryd wanted to play butt buddies with **** fils aime in Tennessee, that’s his fault he flipped?

2017 this bandy comment tells me you not watching this sh*t closely. Bandy did not get exposed EVERY year after playing on the outside. He had a phenomenal and his best year at Miami his sophomore year. In regards to his recruitment Plenty of kids grew up “cane fans” and didn’t end up here, it’s a long list of those so give credit where it’s due. Just because they said They were fans don’t mean they going to come here, sh*t is stupid thinking that way period.

Lol if you think rumph had NOTHING To do with frierson(STAYING with Miami) and Ivey’s recruitment. Just utterly illogical thinking.

Y’all think elite corners being recruited by the likes of Saban and kirby smart going to be easy battles? Y’all be out y’all rabid *** mind. Db is literally the hardest position to recruit and the most coveted of the big time schools in south Florida. Lol if you think rumph got hired here solely based on landing those 2 guys. Campbell was NEVER that interested in coming here, read the tea leaves. It was always some other team and a mention of Miami. First lsu was leader, then Ohio state then Clemson and then bama/Georgia. Miami NEVER led, perfect case of him thinking he was too good for Miami, a lot of elite broward kids feel that way and no disrespect to Campbell or his family but a lot of those top kids are band wagoners and are going to go to the “hot “ schools.

And How the **** was tecory couch a late pickup when he flipped from Michigan in the summer.
Flipped 2 dbs from don brown and one that was committed to saban/going to flip to Corey raymond. **** good job recruiting there.

In regards to Miami producing dbs, I’ve said Miami has a better history historical in producing safeties rather than cbs. Where the ******* lie? It’s not even remotely close between the 2.

And you know what, I guarantee rumph is the most respected and loved coach on this staff by the players 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:

Flipped 2 dbs from down brown and one that was committed to saban/going to flip to Corey raymond. **** good job recruiting there.

So you associate facts, w/ hate, huh? I see; so you're the type of dude when your boys tell you "My g, I just saw your girl bust it down on another ninja" and provide photos, b/c she said she loves you and that was her play brother, you'll believe her over them, huh? Lol.

Dude, you don't read. I clearly said since 2016 was his first year, so we'll give him a pass. BUT, if I'm going to debunk this excuse....even Paul Williams was able to snag Dallas Crawford and Thomas Finnie at the last moment in his first year, and as @gogeta4 clearly pointed out, Young came w/ Richt.

I know you want to give Frierson (who's a striker), and Ivey to Rumph....but BANDA was their lead recruiter, Brock. BANDA, not Rumph.

You have excuses for incompetence and it's unreal. Sometimes you be on point, and other times, just wow. I will retract on Couch....he did commit in Summer of 2018. Great, one early kid. Jeez. Your infatuation w/ Rumph is eerie af.

I suggest you go and look at allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the Florida DBs that Rumph have whiffed on from 2017 - 2020. F the 4 stars....just look at the 3 stars since you have a beta attitude. It's funny how you ALWAYS use this duck *** excuse...that we can't recruit with Bama, UGA, and LSU for "elite" CB recruits; not one person is arguing this, except you. We're talking about recruiting CBs. lol.

[QUO

2016:

2017:

2018:

2019:

2020:

[/QUOTE]
If this post made it to Sabans desk he would fire Rumph instantly

Advertisement
Back