Barry Jackson notes and mike rumph thoughts on the corner depth

So everyone we lose is a sec band Wagoner? His job is to change that kids mindset like what Saban did to Juedy like what Maryland did with McFarland. Your job your main **** job is to recruit the beasts. If u find yourself with depth problems is the staffs **** fault period. When we out there last minute looking to fill spots with guys no one wants then that's a fail.

Bruh, This is why Brock gets so many responses. The ninja says chit u have no other choice but to respond to.

Advertisement
OK, so we give credit to Rumph for Blades Jr. even though he was a Cane since day 1, but not PW for Howard? Naw, it don't work like that.

And noticed I said PW sucked *** as a developer and recruiter.
I think this who gets credit shît is over blown. And I have never gave rumph credit for blades and never said he was a great recruiter but his boss doesn’t seem to mind the numbers at corner so is it really all on him?

DUde we are 2 HC's since Golden...in SOUTH FLORIDA where cbs grow on trees........

We dont have the right numbers because they mismanage the position every cycle. Miami is a place where cbs should transfer OUT of due to no playing time and competition...not have a cb coach sprout off the names of 2 undheard of walk ons and say he likes what he got in his room. Sh*t crazy now adays...
The issue is bigger than just the cb coach. No rumph isn’t a great recruiter but he doesn’t decide the numbers and how many guys to take.

I think this who gets credit shît is over blown. And I have never gave rumph credit for blades and never said he was a great recruiter but his boss doesn’t seem to mind the numbers at corner so is it really all on him?

No argument here, boss.

Stepping away from the Rumph debate for a second, our biggest issue is attrition. We lose way too many players to transfers and early graduation. And the class caps of 25 make it impossible for us to ever play with more than 70-75 scholarship athletes (not counting PWOs who get scholarships since we have so many to give).

Just look at the eligibility chart. It's ridiculous. We have 8 friggin seniors, 3 of whom are transfers IN.

A big reason for attrition is bad evals. Guys like Tyreic Martin and Dykstra should never have been Canes in the first place. But losing kids like Jeff Thomas, Jackson and Bandy to the draft certainly doesn't help. Or transfers like Lingard and Hightower. Manny needs to hold on to these types for 4 years so we have the depth to take on the Clemsons and Bamas.

Advertisement
The issue is bigger than just the cb coach. No rumph isn’t a great recruiter but he doesn’t decide the numbers and how many guys to take.

Yea he just doesnt take any. Waits for a hail mary every class on an out of state prayer. Like wtf is up with yall?. Is it because he played on a mnc team or something?, Because none of u f*cks were caping for Randy Shannon when he was mismanaging classes but throw on the cape everytime flooding the board with excuses time and time again.

Dude saw a shrink for how bad he was, head coach wanted to replace him. He's still here chugging along but even he knew he sucked but yall are still here with the whoa its me story. Every cb on the current roster he recruited im excited to see how they perform when we get a chance to as he believes this is the best group he has ever had.

His boss has f*cked up LB recruiting too. But he was atleast hit by injuries and may not value numbers there..hence STRIKER. But there isnt a fix for a cb, either you can play it or cant. Hence Frierson being high tailed to Striker. His boss also had the foresight or the player had the foresight to take a shirt and return to give us some depth/starting ability. Bandy dipped out of here like a dine n dash knowing **** well he won't be getting drafted.

Stepping away from the Rumph debate for a second, our biggest issue is attrition. We lose way too many players to transfers and early graduation. And the class caps of 25 make it impossible for us to ever play with more than 70-75 scholarship athletes (not counting PWOs who get scholarships since we have so many to give).

Just look at the eligibility chart. It's ridiculous. We have 8 friggin seniors, 3 of whom are transfers IN.

A big reason for attrition is bad evals. Guys like Tyreic Martin and Dykstra should never have been Canes in the first place. But losing kids like Jeff Thomas, Jackson and Bandy to the draft certainly doesn't help. Or transfers like Lingard and Hightower. Manny needs to hold on to these types for 4 years so we have the depth to take on the Clemsons and Bamas.

Completely agree.

A kid like Hightower should be on the roster. Im indifferent to Lingard as Cam Harris kind of solidified himself and dude had a foot out the door from he got here apparently. Guys like Tyreic Martin if they are going to get processed...need to be done much quicker and there spot filled back with a grad transfer or a juco kid.

Completely agree.

A kid like Hightower should be on the roster. Im indifferent to Lingard as Cam Harris kind of solidified himself and dude had a foot out the door from he got here apparently. Guys like Tyreic Martin if they are going to get processed...need to be done much quicker and there spot filled back with a grad transfer or a juco kid.
U about to get a Brock post lasting 20 minutes to read

Advertisement
U about to get a Brock post lasting 20 minutes to read
AE899838-AAD0-4323-BD05-538E27DAB3F2.gif

With only four scholarship corners in his room this spring — and freshmen Isaiah Dunson and Marcus Clarke enrolling in the coming months — has Rumph lobbied Diaz to use UM’s last available scholarship on a grad transfer cornerback?

Rumph said he has not. Even though the group is generally inexperienced — beyond Ivey and Blades — Rumph said: “I like what I have. It’s a good amount of depth. This is one of the best groups of corners I’ve had since I’ve been at UM. All these kids can contribute this year; they have a good skill set and hungry to learn and fit into what we’re doing. We’ve always been able to play a bunch of freshmen at Miami, and that trend will continue. These kids will have an opportunity to play.”

Rumph sees all six in position to become quality Atlantic Coast Conference corner

@Liberty City El
Christian Williams and tecory seem to be making a jump as expected as well. I agree with rumph assessment and have said that in the past this would be the best cb group talent wise Miami has had in a minute

Hey, if a coach doesn't express public concern about something, then there's clearly nothing to worry about.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lol @ The Rumph defenders in this thread.

1. Shame on you @brock for trying to discredit our DB history. So I’m going to randomly throw some names out there off the top of my dome & I may be all over the place:

-Ryan McNeil : 2nd round pick, pro bowler, lead league in interceptions either in 96 or 97.

-Duane Starks: 1st round pick, SB champion

-Antrel Rolle: 1st round pick, 3x PB, SB champion

-Mike Rumph: 1st round pick

-Phillip Buchanan: 1st round pick

-Kelly Jennings: 1st round pick

-Bennie Blades: 1st round pick, PB, and All Pro

-DeMarcus Van Dyke: 3rd round pick

-Brandon Harris: 2nd round pick

-Artie Burns: 1st round pick

I know I’m missing some earlier guys, but this is just the CB group, not even counting the S group. We’ve pumped out 1st - 3rd round CB talent. That’s not including guys drafted later rounds or undrafted who hung around the league & made PB appearances (Earl Little & Sam Shields). What these guys did at the next level, you are correct, most didn’t do much. The point that @Dwinstitles was making was kids hear “From The University of Miami” in the 1st or 2nd round, that’s **** to them.

Lol @ Rumph defenders talking about his recruiting acumen. Lol. Rumph has been here for 5 yrs. We have 4 CBs on the roster, currently, 1 CB on the way, and another who’s an ATH trying to become a CB. Lol. 6 CBs on the roster in a 5 yr recruiting period! GTFOH.

So let’s talk recruiting:

2016:
You don’t get props for last minute offering Malek Young when guys like @Liberty City El was clamoring for us to offer him well b4 Rumph offered in 2016. Btw, he had no choice to offer him b/c he struck out on EVERY DB in 16. Young was our only recruit. (1st yr, so we’ll give him a pass). Well, Young got injured unfortunately, so that wipes out the 16 class.

2017:
You would THINK he would’ve went big in the recruiting dept for 17 since we only took 1 CB in 16....welp, u would be wrong. Richt had to step in and apologize to Bandy for the previous staff overlooking him. But Bandy did commit, and Rumph “beat” Bama for a JUCO CB in Dean. So we recruited one guy w/ 3-4 yrs of eligibility & another w 2yrs eligibility. The latter sucked & contributed nothing, with the former had one great freshman yr b/c he played slot, like he should, but b/c of the lack of CB depth, was forced to play boundary and became exposed every year thereafter. Neither are here.....that wipes out the 17 class

2018:
Coming of Miami’s first 10 win season in a minute, and first ever ACCCG appearance, surely Rumph would take advantage of such momentum:
Coach Brown did: (Lo, Cam, George <1 ranked FB>)
Coach Dugans did (Pope, Hightower, Ezzard)
Coach Hartley did (Jordan, Mallory)
Coach Banda did (Hall, Frierson, Ivey (sorry Brock, Banda took lead on him. Lol)
Coach Searels did (Scaife, Reed)

But Rumph.....Rumph was in cruise control. Blades Jr recommitted on Father’s Day. Rumph has some aces in his back pocket though...The Heritage Boys. Matter of fact, this was his sole purpose of being here. Surely his relationship w Campbell since he was a kid, and Surtain II as a teen would get one of two. Nope! We were left w/ 0. So we settled for Nigel Bethel as a consolation. Oh, Bethel ain't here. lol.

So far, in 3 yrs, Rumph is responsible for 1 CB on the roster.

2019:
After an unmitigated disaster of a season, ironically this was Rumph’s best yr as a recruiter, recruiting both Couch & Williams. And it filled a need, one boundary, one slot/nickel. Here’s the problem....we only took 2 CBs this class. Both were last minute pick ups, and thank God they were. We were this close to striking out on every 19 DB. With our lack of depth, we should’ve NEVER been in this position.

2020:
Looking at the CB room, again Rumph was this close to striking out on CBs. He got a last minute flip of Dunson (considered a 4 star) and Clarke, which is an ATH.

So can we recap Rumph’s tenure as a recruiter:
2016: 1 CB recruited (Injured)
2017: 2 CB recruited (Both gone)
2018: 2 CB recruited (1 gone, 1 here)
2019: 2 CB recruited (both here)
2020: 1 CB recruited / 1 ATH recruited (2 here)

Rumph has recruited 4 CBs on roster and 1 converted CB. 5 CB recruits on roster he’s responsible for, in 5 yrs!! GTFOH!

And LOL at his teaching abilities. Dean, sucked. Delaney went from a 4th round prospect at The Citadel to undraftable after one yr here. Bandy got progressively worst, and will become undrafted. Colbert is what we’re hanging our hats on, huh? M Jax actually slipped a bit from year 3 to year 4 and his draft stock slipped, as well. Blades is the hope for Rumph to get some sort of rep.

TBH, I’m not a Rumph fan...don’t think he should be on staff. His sole job was class of 18 and he failed miserably. Our CB room is a hot mess, and it’s directly on him. 5 CB recruits on roster in 5 yrs under his watch is un f’ing believable.

Hall was recruited by the entire staff and CMR was heavily involved

Advertisement
Back