Barry Jackson Al Blades

And you appear to be out of yours

It would not have been a violation
if Barry had said what the medical condition was....why you ask

Does Hipaa apply to journalists?

Answer: No. Reporters are not "covered entities" under HIPAA and therefore cannot violate HIPAA (unless they obtain health information under false pretenses). Reporters do not need written authorization from the patients they interview.

This is true to an extent, but when it involves student-athletes the law on journalists disclosing "specific" medical conditions is a little murkier related to HIPAA. Not saying you're wrong if someone actually took it to court (I think the courts would side with the journalist), just saying it's not as cut and dry as your copy and paste response from a simple google search on the internet.

Advertisement
1. Barry is claiming that a Miami source inside their info department gave him permission to release the story without actually citing the particular health issue.
2. Barry makes the report without citing the particular healthy issue like any reporter would AND should.
3. Blades reports the actual condition.
4. Barry shares Blades’ report of the particular health condition.

Barry did his job. Grow up.

Whoever the person is at UM's Sports Info Dept that gave the green light on the story is the one that should be admonished. It's pretty evident that Al Blades was not comfortable or ready to put the information out there. Considering how serious and the long term ramifications this health condition could bring, I think the least that could've happened here was run the story when Blades and family were good to do so. Barry Jackass (as Hank Goldberg used to say) is just doing his job. I've got no qualms with him if in fact UM SID told him it was ok to run the story

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sigh, this isn't HIPAA. How come so many don't have any clue what HIPAA is. Also, why do so many people have no idea what the correct abbreviation is?
1607518676018.png

Advertisement
You really have no idea what the job is for a media member at a major outlet who covers major college and professional sports.
You have an opportunity to enlighten us as you're giving the impression that you are somehow involved in that function.

But remember that anonymity doesn't exactly foster credibility.

I feel this is going to turn into the "Should Ivins have leaked that Jason Marshall is silently committed to UM or not which ultimately ruined his moment and gave UF the early heads up to go all in $$$?" argument.

You guys need to stop thinking that media guys have a code. Thats their job... to break stories. And to be the first one to break it. There is no honor among thieves in the media business. Get over it.

Now I agree that Barry shouldnt be going back and forth with Al Jr on social media. Be the grown up.

And Al Jr better get use to the life because when he gets to the NFL folks like Adam Schefter will be all in his business as well. Its all apart of the game.

Advertisement
Holy ****. There is some soft-shoulder weirdness going on in this thread. This all reads like Ol' Berrie ruined the kid's commitment announcement or something. Jackson actually kinda gave the school and Al a courtesy here by sitting on the info he had as long as he did.

I'm absolutely no fan of how the media covers this team but this is a joke. Al is obviously emotional and rightfully so but the adults bent out of shape about the dissemination of info on this front are just caping.

Advertisement
Back