Banda to the Browns

He was a recruiter he brought his targets evals weren't that good no arguing that. For UM caliber it ain't that but kids liked him and they came. Manny and Rumph and all those other guys ain't even have a plan b.
It ain't Manny and rumph that didn't have the plan b for targets. The targets were decided by Mandy & banda... Also strongly disagree that he got the kids he targeted. But is what it is. I'm just thankful it's a new day.

Advertisement
What? Banda had a plan B but Manny didn't? Manny was literally the final decision maker. The recruiting board is a joint effort. Also, Rumph had kids he wanted and Manny and Banda would tell him they aren't a take...most notably Asante Samuel.
They were horrible at evals and wouldn't justify spending any of the recruiting budget on **** near anything but locals. I'll go back to Keele Ringo, Elias Rix, joey Porter jr & that's just the tip of that iceberg. The board literally started and ended at db with banda and Mandy. Not sure how anyone else can wear that blame but the two of them.

They were horrible at evals and wouldn't justify spending any of the recruiting budget on **** near anything but locals. I'll go back to Keele Ringo, Elias Rix, joey Porter jr & that's just the tip of that iceberg. The board literally started and ended at db with banda and Mandy. Not sure how anyone else can wear that blame but the two of them.

Because this is the ABSOLUTE SUM TOTAL of what most CIS porsters know about Banda's coaching skills:

1677071511981.png

1677071581218.png

So he was involved with Jenkins, Elder, and Colbert for one year, and Redwine, Jackson, and Johnson for three years.

With the exception of Colbert (a one-year grad transfer), all of those other guys were Golden/D'Onofrio recruits (maybe even Shannon recruits?).

Because this is the ABSOLUTE SUM TOTAL of what most CIS porsters know about Banda's coaching skills:

View attachment 230995
View attachment 230996

So he was involved with Jenkins, Elder, and Colbert for one year, and Redwine, Jackson, and Johnson for three years.

With the exception of Colbert (a one-year grad transfer), all of those other guys were Golden/D'Onofrio recruits (maybe even Shannon recruits?).
That's a fair point. But elevating others is part of a teacher's responsibility. If Banda was here for 6 years, and he had no ability to advance a player's career, we would be having a different argument.

Advertisement
That's a fair point. But elevating others is part of a teacher's responsibility. If Banda was here for 6 years, and he had no ability to advance a player's career, we would be having a different argument.

OK, but he was here for 5 years, the 2016 to 2020 seasons.

---Half of the six players I cited worked with Banda for ONE YEAR (and one was a one-and-done). Do we really think that Jenkins, Elder, and/or Colbert were improved by working with Banda for a year? I recall Colbert almost NOT being drafted after he thought he would be IMPROVING his draft position by coming to Miami. I've always hated when corches do this, they put guys on their "resume" because they either recruited them (and left, thus never developing them) or because they worked with them in the final year prior to the draft. It's just bull****.

---The other half of the six players I cited worked with Banda for THREE YEARS, and none were recruited by him. I am fully capable of giving Banda more "developmental" credit for Redwine and Johnson (I'm not sure why the NFL draft lists him as a CB, maybe he was projected as one, though he played more S at Miami). But I would also point out that one of the OTHER things I hate are CIS porsters who alternately argue that "talent is the key, development doesn't matter" and "the coaching is everything", depending on what their agenda-of-the-minute calls for.

---Now, if "talent ID" and/or "development" were Banda's strong suits, then we could have expected that Miami would have had more cornerbacks and safeties drafted since 2020 that Banda had recruited and/or partially developed. But...yeah...no DBs drafted since 2019. So that is a pretty strong indicator of Banda's talent ID and development from 2016-2020. NO DEFENSIVE BACKS DRAFTED that he brought into the room. And Tyrique is a transfer from UGa, so he won't count on Banda's ledger.

---I realize it's a tall order to ask for BOTH Talent ID AND Development. The three head coaches on UM's Mount Rushmore for those skills are Schnellenberger, JJ, and Butch. The talent they brought in and PARTIALLY developed helped the NEXT coach to win a NC or two. But when it comes down to position coaches, it's a little tougher. Kehoe and Soldinger are up there, and I can think of a few others. I just don't put Banda in that category.

And, listen, I don't hate the guy. Banda was an excellent recruiter. I had issues with two things: (a) he overruled Rumph on a number of CB recruits that would have helped Miami tremendously, and (b) all of Banda's recruits seem to have underperformed and/or washed out.

Just my personal opinion, but based on a lot of what I've heard from players as to who was the most responsible for DB coaching. Congrats to Banda for his ongoing career path.

It ain't Manny and rumph that didn't have the plan b for targets. The targets were decided by Mandy & banda... Also strongly disagree that he got the kids he targeted. But is what it is. I'm just thankful it's a new day.
In on the outside looking in so like I don't know wth goes on in the background. I mean we really never know who recruits who we just read the reports and take a guess at it. I know for sure **** well that Manny ain't know what he was doing at linebacker, that I know for sure lol.

Advertisement
I'm like 99% sure you're completely wrong and I have zero inside info lol.
I could be wrong but people said he was here for his recruiting I didn't make that up. Hey I could be wrong if a person close to the program says different. But from my belief was that's why he was here for his recruiting

What? Banda had a plan B but Manny didn't? Manny was literally the final decision maker. The recruiting board is a joint effort. Also, Rumph had kids he wanted and Manny and Banda would tell him they aren't a take...most notably Asante Samuel.
That I agree the Asante thing, but Rumph was brought for Tyson and Surtain and he failed.

Butch Barry absolutely sucks and should not be on this list. He would leave post it’s in the players lockers in Denver with things to work on instead of actually talking to them. When the interim coach took over firing him was the first thing he did. Dude is miserable and incompetent
The logo doesn't guarantee you can coach

Advertisement

View attachment 230995
View attachment 230996

He actually had nothing to do with any of those boys except jaquan throughout the time that both were here & one year with sheldrick. All the rest were at corner. I will definitely say for the one year that redwine was at safety with jaquan(the positions they played together at Killian) banda did a **** of a job with redwine. Because previous to that no one wanted anything to do with redwine at corner. It was a desperation move to try and get something out of him at safety and it clicked. Did a **** good job with him.

He actually had nothing to do with any of those boys except jaquan throughout the time that both were here & one year with sheldrick. All the rest were at corner. I will definitely say for the one year that redwine was at safety with jaquan(the positions they played together at Killian) banda did a **** of a job with redwine. Because previous to that no one wanted anything to do with redwine at corner. It was a desperation move to try and get something out of him at safety and it clicked. Did a **** good job with him.

Yes.

Here's the thing, I actually listen to people. You probably know I hear some things from SWFLHurricane that might have even come from you. But I don't just Google and look at the NFL draft lists to form my opinion.

I've been a UM student/alum since 1986. I know not every coach is perfect. I've seen some good ones and some bad ones, and I still love my alma mater. So I tried not to obsess over the differences of opinion between Banda and Rumph, I still rooted for UM to win every single game.

But there were some issues. And to act like Banda was some superstar coach just because he was RELATIVELY better than some other coaches...yeah, I just don't think that way.

That I agree the Asante thing, but Rumph was brought for Tyson and Surtain and he failed.
I don't get why everyone goes back to that. If your a lawyer and you have all the big firms coming after you. Those big firms offer you whatever you want and a huge signing bonus. They make you a partner so you get the big bucks right off rip. Do you as a lawyer fresh out of school who's the creme de la creme pick from one of those firms offering you everything you could dream of? Or do you simply say you know what I don't want any of that stuff. I just wanna be close to home and living in a efficiency fighting for scraps at the public defender's office... I will say this. One of those boys wanted nothing but 75k & we told him I got nothing for you while he signed elsewhere for 250 and got the other sec perks with it. Nil atleast gave us the opportunity to fight back some.

Advertisement
I don't get why everyone goes back to that. If your a lawyer and you have all the big firms coming after you. Those big firms offer you whatever you want and a huge signing bonus. They make you a partner so you get the big bucks right off rip. Do you as a lawyer fresh out of school who's the creme de la creme pick from one of those firms offering you everything you could dream of? Or do you simply say you know what I don't want any of that stuff. I just wanna be close to home and living in a efficiency fighting for scraps at the public defender's office... I will say this. One of those boys wanted nothing but 75k & we told him I got nothing for you while he signed elsewhere for 250 and got the other sec perks with it. Nil atleast gave us the opportunity to fight back some.
That's a fair point I can't get mad at a fair point. This is true cause a staffer (who wasn't named) that other schools could do what they couldn't which said they were basically cheating. And then cheating over the years created sexier rosters for that kid to flourish in. Also to my original post on the first page it doesn't mean trash coaches can't reach the NFL cause it happens. Buddy buddy network is undefeated a lot of the times and that goes through all walks of life.

dont lose ya *** on this one...
I feel you on that. For me dj has always been an enigma. The kid during practice when he's simply asked to play physical and bump, he absolutely dominates that ****. Has for years. His thing(s) with Saturdays is a mixture of(atleast my opinion)he's intimidated by the big moments AND often he catches a bum rap because the safeties blow their assignments. I know u know ur **** so I ain't gonna preach here. But if he gets on a disciplined defense that's really coached up AND maybe sees a decent sports psychologist I could see him having a long NFL career like shields did. He's got all the measurables that they look for.

Advertisement
Back