Banda-Patke co-dc, Simpson associate head coach

Advertisement
Promotions were probably earlier than Richt would have liked to make, but honestly, coaches all around the country get promoted out of necessity, so it is what it is. It keeps the continuity, these guys know the defense, they build great relationships with players and recruits, can't fathom why anyone would hate this. Any new external DC would want to run their scheme with their guys which would disrupt what we've already built.

I agree with this......especially if Richt uses the other coaching spot to get some help with the offense.

Advertisement
Thus actually makes sense here. Why spend money on a big time DC when the offense under performs and fire right there won't be a lot of money tide to DC buy outs. And if you were a DC would you actually come here knowing that you could be let go after 1 year
It would only make sense if Richt was going to hire an OC and I wouldn’t hold my breath

Promotions were probably earlier than Richt would have liked to make, but honestly, coaches all around the country get promoted out of necessity, so it is what it is. It keeps the continuity, these guys know the defense, they build great relationships with players and recruits, can't fathom why anyone would hate this. Any new external DC would want to run their scheme with their guys which would disrupt what we've already built.
I really liked the job Jess did on the DL. The guy could be the hidden jem! Banda was going to get swiped up by Diaz so they had to pull the trigger and stop the bleeding!

Now they have to hit the recruiting trail hard to get back the guys that jumped off! If the recruits wanted to play in the same system there's no reason to go anywhere else! I bet most will jump back on once the shock settle in a bit!

Advertisement
I’m fine with it. Banda is going to run the same defense as Manny. Our safeties played good the last two years and Rump has done a good job with corners. We all know how well Simpson did in his first year. If we don’t have a good defense next year they whole coaching staff will be gone including Richt

Lulz the best thing for recruiting is hiring a monster, PROVEN DC
No it’s not. The best thing about recruiting is having continuity and connections for a long period of time. This will diminish the hit on this class but mostly next class. Also Banda has developed 2 Nfl safeties and has recruited 2 very good successors. Plus he has also carried Rumph’s slack for many targets.

Advertisement
Banda and Patke are smart and are students of the game. They are the modern day rising star coach. Guys who are young, hungry, and analytical.

Maybe - but if they hadn't been Manny's GAs elsewhere they never would have had an interview for a position coach in any P5 program. They do not have the resume for it. Their resumes are no better than Jon's or Brown's......both of whom we don't want calling plays on the offensive side of the ball.

You can take a chance with young talent as a position coach when you have other proven coaches to help. But when you put 2 guys who have proven nothing on their own in charge of the entire defensive room, it's asking for trouble.

Everyone ***** on Patke? He had ONE position to coach. One. His rapid ascension from staffer to co defensive coordinator should concern u. There's an offensive coach whose father wants him to move up as well.

Nobody has any idea what his role will be as Co-DC so its pointless to ***** about it now.

I read an article today that proposed a half dozen under 30 coaches (ie: inside LB coach at UGA that is in his 2nd year) for our DC. FootballScoop retweeted their hiring with positive comments (below).

Capture.JPG

Likely Patke will now coach all of the LBs and help with the game planning, Banda takes the lead in calling the game and coaches Safeties, and Rumph coaches DBs and picks up the slack on the Safeties. Tons of programs now have co-DCs.

I'm not saying Banda/Patke/Simpson are/are not the right hires.

What I will say is HC/DC/OC "skill sets" and "hire was good/bad" has reached Brobdingnagian proportions of distortion.

The screams of who is/is not qualified doesn't align with reality.

About ANY individual with proven successful leadership of a large organization could be a successful DC/OC/HC. Will they be perfect on day one? Hardly. Will they have quite a bit figured out by end of the week? If they are worth their salt, 1000000% they will.

How many "hot name" hires turn out to be busts? Here's a hint, more than no name hires.

I'm not calling into question Aranda's DC cred, but how many points were scored by the opponent in LSU's losses? Aranda makes HOW MUCH?

The decision at Miami is made, let's see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So let me get this straight our new DC's have a combined 4 years of positional coaching. Not even enough time to develop a kid they recruited from highschool. Gotcha, can't wait for one of 9ur grad assistant's to get the last spot on the staff

Advertisement
Back