Bama Fatigue

“But you’re just a hater!” says the average Bama fan. I know for a fact Tua and Jeudy were given benefits in exchange for a commitment to Alabama.
Right. And that same ‘ Bama fan can enjoy being a fan of a champion of a marginalized, scorned sport in the years to come.

Advertisement
Facts
And the game being on cable TV instead of CBS or ABC lowers them also.
Viewership I believe was down over 20% YoY. That’s close to double the average rate of decline for all television programming. Actually, it’s similar to what WWE is seeing with their programming on USA...down between 20 and 30%. Both are producing very stale product. And I can’t think of anything more stale than the same three teams in a four team playoff for a decade, and for decades to come.

No. I’m saying that limiting success to three states perpetually will cause disinterest to surge. Combine that with economic factors of trying to (unsuccessfully) compete, the huge college athletic dep debt problems, and the political issues that emerge when colleges scrimp on spending for everything but football, and you have a recipe for a sport that is at best a niche regional sport in a generation (ala collegiant wrestling) and at worst a sport that is banned in most states.
That's why reducing the scholarship limit from 85 to something like 75 wouldn't be a bad thing right now. Not only does it create some sort of parity, but it also saves schools some money.

Advertisement
Didn't watch it, first time I haven't watched a championship game that I can remember. Watch every year but na I'm done supporting the blatant favoritism and overlooking of what's going on at Bama.

Funny...I didn't watch because of the blatant favoritism of letting a 7 game team into the national championship, and overlooking what's going on at ohio State

Seeing stuff all over the internet of people not happy with where we are in college football now. There'll be competitive balance pressure, but they'll just expand the playoffs. That's the band aid that lets the 4-6 powers remain at the top, and the peasants entertained without bowls mattering anymore.

Advertisement
Funny...I didn't watch because of the blatant favoritism of letting a 7 game team into the national championship, and overlooking what's going on at ohio State
That’s why a lot of people didn’t watch as well because they felt Ohio State didn’t deserve to be in the playoffs from the get go.

This is like Lance Armstrong winning 7 tours with all sorts of **** running through his veins. Bama isn't clean and everyone knows it yet no one will do anything to stop them.

I need some help then.... I live in NJ and would love to ditch cable (optimum) but the reason I don't is because of Live TV.... any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
What live TV do you watch? I'm a cord-never so I've been subscribed to DAZN (NFL game pass and more) for years since they took over from NFL game pass Canada. I used to subscribe to NBA league pass but canceled it this year cause I stopped caring about NBA. For college sports I use illegal streams or watch at parents/friends houses where they have cable. I don't really watch anything else but US has a ton of options like Youtube TV, Hulu, and networks have their own streaming services now like Peacock for NBC.

Being on a slight delay is annoying but it's nice to be able to watch games on my TV, computer, phone, tablet, etc. If there was a streaming service for US college football in Canada that offered more than just a few $EC games every week I'd subscribe.

I get it. I've seen it.
Meechigan, ND too. Great parties to crash.
But there are 20 million people in the NYMA.
Big CFB fans are relatively small pockets compared to the overall population.

Look (or should I say hear) no further than NY sports radio.
Hockey gets more air time than CFB.
This. The Fan NEVER talks about CFB. And it's easy to see why since the football schools with the biggest amount of alums in the area (Penn State, Syracuse, Rutgers) all sucked this year. If Rutgers gets back to respectability under Schiano I could see that changing a little bit. They do spend some time talking about CBB since most of the talent are Syracuse alums.

Advertisement
That and viewers have been on the decline for years prior to the pandemic. Not only from their sofa, but attendance in person as well.

When I grew up, sports were always on the television. It was a family thing, bonding time, discussions on teams, etc. I used to watch something every season.

As an adult, I don't have that kind of free time. As I've said before in other topics, forget about having the kids join me there in front of the television, they've got tablets, their own television, and platform / computer games to mess with instead if they aren't playing with the neighborhood kids. Sports were also a topic at work, nowhere near the same amount these days.

Sports aren't going away, but there's never been competition like their is today. My kids are 7 and 10, also an 18 year old. They don't latch onto that generation, the numbers will continue to fall.

All of this

It's the same 4 to 6 teams every year and no one cares at all about any other bowls anymore outside of the CFP. The best thing and only way to save college football is for a handful of these programs to get back to a top level: Miami, Texas, USC, Nebraska, Michigan, Tennessee, FSU, Penn State, etc.
I agree, but the playing field has to be level. College footbal needs an NFL model where there are limits on staff and spending. These top teams will continue to spend more money if there's no ceiling and something has to be done about the "dark money." I would like to see a cap on booster contributions to coaches salaries. These coaches are hired by the schools and should be paid by them and not boosters. Boosters should contribute to the school, but limits should be placed on how much is dpebt on the football program. It's out of control. It's so insane that we have been normalized to college football coaching being a multi million dollar profession. We're treating college football and basketball like professional sports, but inversely.

Pro sports have salary caps on players and a draft that levels the playing field. Because there's no possible way for college football to have a draft (nor should it), it allows a team like Alabama to sign all 1st and 2nd round draft picks every year. The problem is that they are doing so with no budget limitations. That's the problem. College football is the Major League Baseball which doesn't have salary caps. Even though MLB has a draft, it usually takes years for those players to reach the big league. So, you have a team like the Yankees with seemingly limitless amounts of money to poach the best free agents and stack their team. With Alabama planning a new $750 million dollar stadium and facilities, they will separate themselves even more.

I think college football tv tanking from a fan perspective is a good thing. It will force some changes because money is always the driving factor. The majority of college athletics have financial problems for 2021 because of the lost revenue from Covid 2020. The few exceptions are the elites of the sport. Something has to change. Otherwise, tv viewers will continue to decline and that means less revenue.

lol **** that.. I enjoyed the **** out of watching osu getting their **** pushed in bro. I agree with everything else that's being said about college football and the playoff tho. Had I thought osu might win I wouldn't have watched it. I would have enjoyed watching a rerun of the dook game and getting drunk.

Advertisement
Viewership I believe was down over 20% YoY. That’s close to double the average rate of decline for all television programming. Actually, it’s similar to what WWE is seeing with their programming on USA...down between 20 and 30%. Both are producing very stale product. And I can’t think of anything more stale than the same three teams in a four team playoff for a decade, and for decades to come.

I would be very curious to see the trend throughout the year.

For instance, in September, people were starving for new content, they were desperate for football to come back, and most stadium capacities were anywhere from 0% to 20%. Did people NOT watch in September because not all of the teams were playing? The matchups were great, there was minimal "OOC revenue game" nonsense.

Or did people watch less frequently as the season progressed and you saw more last-minute cancellations?

I think we should wait to see what the numbers are in 2021 before we make any sweeping generalizations or conclusions.

Maybe low ratings and losing money will stop ESPN from promoting the SEC so much.
ESPN/ABC just signed an exclusive media rights deal with the SEC starting in....2024-ish, and they paid a metric **** ton for it. So yeah, it's only going to get worse.

I mean, I don't watch Ohio State because of Terry Porter, don't need another reason. But I will watch them get their **** kicked, however with it being the same teams playing I just don't care anymore.

ESPN/ABC just signed an exclusive media rights deal with the SEC starting in....2024-ish, and they paid a metric **** ton for it. So yeah, it's only going to get worse.
And as I posted on another thread, Swofford doesn't due his due dilligence before this and locks the ACC in an ESECPN deal for 20 years...JV squad to the SEC!

Miami needs to file suit to get their Granting of Rights back because of the ACC was negligent in its fiduciary obligations to its members.

Oh, I proposed this over two years ago in another thread:

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/where-is-college-football-headed.138980/page-2

Synopsis:

1. Athletic Department spending caps on a per sport basis, set to allow competitive balance and sufficiency (rising proportionally to match inflation each year) You get a set amount, so you have to decide how much you pay assistant coaches per annum, how much you pay for recruiting expenses per annum, how much of a new head coach will cost in the out years...Skill, as opposed to bigger schools outspending smaller schools being the deciding factor in championships. Sure, you still will have the taxpayer giving state schools an advantage in real property and pensions, but at least a lot more balanced then what happens now.

2. With spending capped to less of an insane level, the conferences will take a large share of their TV money and set it aside to provide a post-playing career annuity to college athletes, with annuity value set by each relative sports revenue (Title IX may force a minimum). If an athlete passes before the athlete receives his full annuity, his/her beneficiary gets it. This way you keep the intrinsic student-athlete value that straight pay destroys, while compensating the athlete appropriately for the revenue thay have generated.

3. Because of the Athletic Department spending caps being universal in CFB, teams don't need to spend all of their conference share, so the conferences keep the TV/merchandise excess revenue and use it to fund the annuity, on a CFB-wide universal scale. If Conference A has more money than Conference B after the annuity payouts, the remaining money is then evenly divided between Conference A's member school's NON-athletic scholarship funds.

It's pretty easy, if the easy majority of schools in the P5 take on the Super Programs, ESPN and the Super Program's lap dog, NCAA Prez Mark Emmert.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back