Bama Fatigue

Rules need to change (and be enforced) or the NCAA and conferences are gonna lose a ton of dough on TV contracts. No one likes a system that feels predictable and rigged.

The NCAA is too focused on the short term to make the necessary changes. And when they do 15 years from now it will be too late. But at least Alabama will get to continue to rule over a CFB that has less than thirty overall teams.

Advertisement
I didn’t watch those cheaters play. **** em.
The game totally left my mind. I spent that time cleaning out my ear wax...clearly, there are better things to do than watch bama being bama for the umpteenth time. Only difference this time as I watch the news, bama fans celebrated by giving each other the rona, with an ear to ear grin.

The game totally left my mind. I spent that time cleaning out my ear wax...clearly, there are better things to do than watch bama being bama for the umpteenth time. Only difference this time as I watch the news, bama fans celebrated by giving each other the rona, with an ear to ear grin.
Agreed!

I was hoping an exploding football would go off hopefully hitting lil cheating nicky.... LOL

Yes, having Bama, Clemson, & OSU always in the mix makes it boring. However, playing the game on ESPN instead of ABC lowers the perceived value of the game. I know broadcast TV really doesn't make a big deal vs. cable, but if the Super Bowl wasn't played on a major network, wouldn't you think something was up?

If a network thinks a championship game is not worthy of pre-empting another mind-numbing episode of "The Bachelor", why should viewers?
That’s what literally happend alot of people don’t have cable tv anymore , especially not ESPN on their cable package, especially since we are in the streaming age.

Television ratings are lower across the board because they have now way to track streaming viewers. With so many people ditching cable, TV numbers are skewed.
They are. But the general rate of decline for all shows has been around 11% year over year. If last night outstripped that, then it starts to become significant.

Advertisement
Streaming is tracked and it's a small blip. NFL ratings aren't down as severe as CFB (or NBA) has been.
I need some help then.... I live in NJ and would love to ditch cable (optimum) but the reason I don't is because of Live TV.... any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

They have to expand the amount of teams allowed in the playoff . The bowl games are becoming less and less important every year with players opting out . The top 8 or 16 use the bowl games as a tournament . If you have to win that bowl game to have a chance for the title , I think they’d be important again

Im an avid football watcher. I legitimately was watching a reality show with a chic and going back n forth with game..Likely didn twatch a straight 10mins f it in total. Knew Bama would blow it open and didnt care to watch it as they are kind of a robotic/boring team to watch.

Game was like watching Bama play Arkansas or some sh*t..

Advertisement
If I’m not mistaken, not ?ing the ratings, but sports in general since the pandemic have taken a massive dump in ratings.

I’m not sure if it has anything to do w Bama fatigue per say, vs. ppl being upset about “agendas” being pushed into sports that crosses over in the “p” word....the “p” word becoming very heavy on ppl’s mind, and the pandemic.

So your hypothesis is that a bunch of people in the south, including Alabama, which is a very conservative state, are sooooo turned off by football players having opinions of their own, that they will stop watching football, including Alabama's national championship game?

Yeah, I'm not buying that.

Or maybe it's because a female kicked the football one time in a Vanderbilt blowout loss. Maybe that's why the Alabama-Ohio Taint ratings were so low...

Expand the playoffs. By a lot.

As stated in other threads, all that does is match a team with three dozen guys with binoculars and headsets against a team with 6..

There needs to be institutional change, but they can start with enforcing some of the rules they already have in place. Alabama makes a mockery of the 'student-athlete' model, as the kids are putting in way more time than they are supposed to, while also getting coached by guys who they are supposed to not have any contact with.

The NCAA either just needs to go away, let power-5 football become semi-professional, or they need to come down on some of the big schools for once, and do little things like restrict... if not coaches' salaries, then cap the amount of paid personnel allowed to work in the football programs.

The NCAA's selective enforcement of certain rules, and failure to limit the ways teams could spend the rediculous money they generate (because, you know, free labor) got us here.

The amount of power-5 athletic departments hemorrhaging money, the hundred of millions spent on coaching buyouts...the sport has become untenable and rediculous, the 'rules' unenforceable.

And the same handful of teams are the only ones that will really benefit. Stop looking for historical comparisons. There are none. Root for the sport to change, or accept that this is the status quo.

No doubt. In Manhattan I watch some games at Brother Jimmy’s. For a big game, better be there 2 hours before kickoff.

Murray Hill, I presume? If not, it'd be Midtown East or the Upper West location, I'd guess... although they did have one in Union Square for a minute too, before Manhattan started to die and I left. That used to be my spot for games until I realized it was a terrible place to watch games.

And hey, we call it BroJim's.

I hate on it even though it was mostly good, aside from the straphanger Bama fans that come for their games. Really, honestly have no idea what Bama fans would ever be doing in Manhattan.

You know Vilma is a part owner of that, right?

Advertisement
I’m not sure what part of the WC U’re referring to, but I grew up on the WC and I can say this is blatantly false in a lot of areas. L.A throughout the Inland Empire go very savage over S.C football. The folks up North go very crazy over Stanford football. Go further north in to Oregon & I can say w/o a doubt they care very much about Oregon football.

I can’t speak on NV, Utah, Colorado, or Washington, but those areas that I not only grew up in but actually either lived or visited frequently will disagree w/ that statement. The Trojans, for yrs, was L.A’s football team. U’ll see flags & license plate on cars all over.

Basically the part you're not talking about. I've been in Bellingham (basically as far to the border you can go) down to Portland. Lived in Seattle. Aside from the small contingent of UW fans in Seattle (who are vastly overshadowed by Seahawks "fans"), nobody gives a crap about college football up here.

Maybe it's just because they're not good at it?

As an aside, I've spent enough time in Eugene, and I don't see anything remotely resembling a rampant fanbase there either. I'm in Portland now and interestingly see a lot of OSU as opposed to OU, even though they're similarly distanced.

Have you found the SC fans to be fairweather? I'd have to think so. And I can't imagine UCLA actually has football fans, given they've done right about d!ck **** in football.

It is in danger of become a specialized regions sport that is big in the South Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, and Texas. Everywhere else it withers away and is closed down for monetary or political reasons.

So what you're saying is... Fox News will acquire the rights to college football?

Bama has little to do with it. People arent watching espn anymore and the ncaa has noooooo parody.

We are a year out from next CFP and I can probably name 3 or all 4 of the teams that will be there. Bama, OSU, Oklahoma, and Clemson.

They have plenty of parodies.

What they lack is parity.

Advertisement
As stated in other threads, all that does is match a team with three dozen guys with binoculars and headsets against a team with 6..

There needs to be institutional change, but they can start with enforcing some of the rules they already have in place. Alabama makes a mockery of the 'student-athlete' model, as the kids are putting in way more time than they are supposed to, while also getting coached by guys who they are supposed to not have any contact with.

The NCAA either just needs to go away, let power-5 football become semi-professional, or they need to come down on some of the big schools for once, and do little things like restrict... if not coaches' salaries, then cap the amount of paid personnel allowed to work in the football programs.

The NCAA's selective enforcement of certain rules, and failure to limit the ways teams could spend the rediculous money they generate (because, you know, free labor) got us here.

The amount of power-5 athletic departments hemorrhaging money, the hundred of millions spent on coaching buyouts...the sport has become untenable and rediculous, the 'rules' unenforceable.

And the same handful of teams are the only ones that will really benefit. Stop looking for historical comparisons. There are none. Root for the sport to change, or accept that this is the status quo.

Nothing that you say is really incorrect.

But there is also a vast disparity between the resources at, say, Duke basketball and, say, Harvard basketball.

We still have a 68-team basketball post-season, and everyone loves it.

I get it. I've seen it.
Meechigan, ND too. Great parties to crash.
But there are 20 million people in the NYMA.
Big CFB fans are relatively small pockets compared to the overall population.

Look (or should I say hear) no further than NY sports radio.
Hockey gets more air time than CFB.

Being a small fish in a big pond doesn't necessarily make you a small fish in a small pond. To say the NYMA market doesn't really care about college football, to me, is absurd. But admittedly, there may be some observation bias there. I realize Manhattan, especially lower Manhattan, is a small part of NYC, let alone the NYMA. I think it's safe to say NJ doesn't really care about it, at all, short of the Penn State fans in the area. They're all NFL. I wasn't exactly watching games at Far Rockaway, Jamaica or whatever is north of 125th.

Not that it really makes a difference, but as a Miami alum, moving to NYC was like going to an off-campus apartment. Half my friends from school moved there and another quarter came from there in the first place.

Basically the part you're not talking about. I've been in Bellingham (basically as far to the border you can go) down to Portland. Lived in Seattle. Aside from the small contingent of UW fans in Seattle (who are vastly overshadowed by Seahawks "fans"), nobody gives a crap about college football up here.

Maybe it's just because they're not good at it?

As an aside, I've spent enough time in Eugene, and I don't see anything remotely resembling a rampant fanbase there either. I'm in Portland now and interestingly see a lot of OSU as opposed to OU, even though they're similarly distanced.

Have you found the SC fans to be fairweather? I'd have to think so. And I can't imagine UCLA actually has football fans, given they've done right about d!ck **** in football.

SC fans tend not to be that fair weather. Even during the second go-round of Robinson days, they supported pretty consistently.

UCLA fans r definitely fair weather. I forget they even have a football team from time to time. Lol.

Portland is weird town; I believe their slogan is “Keep Portland Weird.” But u right; the North West is not rabid about CFB; in fact, they don’t care as u said. I think Seattle used to be a transplant city...not sure if it still is.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back