BAHAMAS HOOPS INVITE Friday Nov 17 (Georgia 3:30) Sunday Nov 19 (final vs KanSt 2:30)

Sloppy and bad shooting and Omier in foul trouble and it didn't really matter. We're very a good and very close to being elite. The open 3s will fall. Nigel and Wooga need to get a little more careful with the handle and Norchad has to avoid the silly fouls. We tighten all that up and we can beat anyone.

I think this is right. We were the way better team.

Wooga and Pack had off nights and Omier was just ok and it was still comfortable almost the entire game.

I think Watson and Casey are going to be big time depth.

This team has so many options and Cleveland, Watson, and Casey give us good length.

Also, Bensley Joseph might be this team’s MVP. Wooga is a big time pro… his bounce is literally scary and despite having a bad night he still is an elite shooter.

Advertisement
His handle was my biggest concern with this team coming into the season. All the talk was that he’s going to be the go-to guy, and I just don’t know how that will play out if he doesn’t tighten up the handle. Luckily it looks like Bensley has taken another leap and they’ll put the ball in his and Pack’s hands late and let Wooga work off-ball.

He moves so fast his hands can’t keep up with the ball when he goes. His burst is literally insane… I think he’s continuing to figure it out. He’s still light years better this year than last… last year he was a turnover waiting to happen just putting the ball on the floor on the perimeter. This year he’s losing it attacking hard… but also he was off and frustrated tonight so that is a factor too.

Casey was 2-4 tonight??

He was wide open on his three. He took a fade away jumper he probably shouldn’t have, but he made it.
He made two layups. He’s good for one absolute brick or airballed 3 a game. Just still looks forced with him a lot.

Again. Still have hope, he’s young. But I’m nervous when he gets the ball currently.

Advertisement
I missed the entire game coaching my 7th grade boys team practice, so I am thoroughly enjoying the bipolar nature of these comments.
From we suck and why is anyone on scholarship to we are ready to win the Natty.
Hilarious.

I still have hope for Casey but he’s entering Anthony Walker territory with how positive I am a bad shot is about to get jacked up every time he touches the ball.
Dude is a sophomore, breathe out. Walker was a senior making those plays. Huge difference.

I missed the entire game coaching my 7th grade boys team practice, so I am thoroughly enjoying the bipolar nature of these comments.
From we suck and why is anyone on scholarship to we are ready to win the Natty.
Hilarious.
Canesinsight for you

Dude is a sophomore, breathe out. Walker was a senior making those plays. Huge difference.
Hence, I still have hope. That was all gone for Walker before last season even started lol

Regardless of his year, he’s going to have to play this year because of our depth, and it would be great if the game had slowed down for him a bit. That’s all I’m saying.

Advertisement
Pack and Omier look like maybe they are just rounding into shape. Pack started slowly last season too.

Good win when we didn’t play our best. Also another game where we withstood a teams runs and answered every time. Signs of a good team.

Still terrified every time we put the ball on the deck. Our handles are the definition of loose.

From a bench perspective I like what Nwoko and Watson gave us. It kills me to say this but I see some Anthony Walker in Casey. He’s clueless out there currently

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think this is right. We were the way better team.

Wooga and Pack had off nights and Omier was just ok and it was still comfortable almost the entire game.

I think Watson and Casey are going to be big time depth.

This team has so many options and Cleveland, Watson, and Casey give us good length.

Also, Bensley Joseph might be this team’s MVP. Wooga is a big time pro… his bounce is literally scary and despite having a bad night he still is an elite shooter.
We really need Casey and Watson to come on. Nwoko would be a bonus as a true frosh. George seems like he's gonna need some time to acclimate.

Bensley looked great last Nov and Dec too. Then, he sorta went relatively silent as the ACC started up in earnest. Let's see if he can give us this kind of play all season long.

Being a Celtics fan, Joseph is this team's Smart. I cringe at every weird shot he takes but they have been going in a lot so good for him. He does a little bit of everything for the team and has a great impact.

Cleveland fills the Jordan Miller role perfectly. Timely 3s, good rebounder with putbacks, and has a decent game inside the arc. I think he might fight for the spot of the top dog on the team.

Omier is Omier, he's been playing his role for two seasons now and he's good at it. Runs the floor hard, is a force inside with mismatches, and now hits the occasional 3. I wish he was given a bit more of a leash when it comes to creation but he knows his role.

Pack is the most open to criticism imo. As a senior who's supposed to be the top dog, he really doesn't jump off the screen. He struggled with creating his own looks and mostly scores off the flow of the offense. That's ok, but he plays like he has the ability to be the top dog when sadly he doesn't. It shows when he drives inside and gets swallowed up, or tries to make something happen in the midrange and misses.

For how insanely athletic Poplar is, he is wasting his ceiling as a player. Not sure what happened as far as his developmental staff goes, but he has the burst to play like Lonnie did, but instead has only found success as a spot up shooter like a Klay Thompson type role. His handle is super shaky and he just can't beat people off the dribble. In the open court if he's trailing its showtime as he has the athleticism to make things happen, but its so rare to see him turn the corner on a handoff and take it to the rim with authority. Poplar as that spot up shooter is a great player don't get me wrong, and is still a draftable player, but Poplar if he shows he can be a slasher will take this team to another level and also his stock.

AJ Casey is depth at this point, a body who can absorb some fouls and compete but he's not an answer at the 5, that's gonna have to be Nwoko down the line hopefully by mid season. I think Watson needs to see the floor more, he's literally taller than Casey, can guard a bit on the perimeter, can shoot threes, and has the handle to bring the ball up the court. He was recruited as a 6'6 SG and is now a 6'8-6'9" SF, they need to get him more touches and looks because his size and versatility will boost the bench a lot and he fits in with any lineup. George is also exactly that, an oversized perimeter player who can make any lineup more versatile. Difference with George is that he's a bit more raw and will probably come around mid season in the rotation.

In an ideal world I think you have Pack-Joseph-Poplar-Cleveland-Omier with Watson/George/Nwoko/Casey off the bench in that order.

Will take some time for the team to gel, but I think the biggest problem was shot distribution, Cleveland was hot all first half and got iced out by Pack and Poplar in the second half. More unselfish play would help, and I have the feeling that some of these guys are playing to raise their own stock at times which is tough to balance with winning. It was easy for Wong to takeover because it became a need where he had to and was also very capable. This team will find success in being a 7-8 deep team all around threat where any one of those guys could put up 15+ points. If they buy into that this team will be hard to beat.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back