Bad hire vs hire that doesn’t work

I’d call Richt a hire that didn’t work. He had a generally solid stint at UGA. He was a bit on a downswing, but there was reason to think a stint at his alma mater might revive him.

Shannon was flat out a bad hire. He was DC under a fired HC. No other FBS program wanted Shannon as head coach. The admin thought he would bring back discipline and good behavior that had been lacking in Coker’s last year. Somehow they failed to realize that Shannon had been the DC during the FIU and LSU brawls and the Cardinal Stomping.

Golden was somewhere in between the Richt and Shannon hirings. He had gotten interviews at UCLA and Tennessee. He definitely would have gotten a Power 5 job if we hadn’t hired him. However, he topped out at 8-4 at Temple. And even at the time I was wondering if Temple’s move from the Big East to the MAC helped improve their win total.

Diaz was a bad hire. Similar to Shannon, he was DC under a head coach who we got rid of. Temple barely wanted him as head coach (he was their 3rd choice) and no other program ever considered him.
YAWN :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Advertisement
Richt was a bad hire. He failed at being a HC/OC so UGA made him hire an an OC. Then he failed at being a CEO coach. So UM hires him at what he failed at. That is a bad hire. To make it worse, he hires his son onto his staff, which was absurd. And he himself said he was burned out before he came to UM. He took the job for the wrong reasons, and was not capable of doing what he wanted to do.

Actually Richt had done very well doubling up as OC and HC at UGA. Those were his better years at UGA. That's why people were excited that he'd be OC here.

My suspicion is that Richt forgot how to coordinate an offense by the time he came to Coral Gables.

Last edited:
I always thought CMR was a bad hire,
we needed to hire someone who could either scheme circles around other coaches or
really develop unheralded players and spot talent

CMR never had a history of either of those things

Advertisement
Back