Bad hire vs hire that doesn’t work

Caneman2

Banned
Banned
I’d call Richt a hire that didn’t work. He had a generally solid stint at UGA. He was a bit on a downswing, but there was reason to think a stint at his alma mater might revive him.

Shannon was flat out a bad hire. He was DC under a fired HC. No other FBS program wanted Shannon as head coach. The admin thought he would bring back discipline and good behavior that had been lacking in Coker’s last year. Somehow they failed to realize that Shannon had been the DC during the FIU and LSU brawls and the Cardinal Stomping.

Golden was somewhere in between the Richt and Shannon hirings. He had gotten interviews at UCLA and Tennessee. He definitely would have gotten a Power 5 job if we hadn’t hired him. However, he topped out at 8-4 at Temple. And even at the time I was wondering if Temple’s move from the Big East to the MAC helped improve their win total.

Diaz was a bad hire. Similar to Shannon, he was DC under a head coach who we got rid of. Temple barely wanted him as head coach (he was their 3rd choice) and no other program ever considered him.

Advertisement
I’d call Richt a hire that didn’t work. He had a generally solid stint at UGA. He was a bit on a downswing, but there was reason to think a stint at his alma mater might revive him.

Shannon was flat out a bad hire. He was DC under a fired HC. No other FBS program wanted Shannon as head coach. The admin thought he would bring back discipline and good behavior that had been lacking in Coker’s last year. Somehow they failed to realize that Shannon had been the DC during the FIU and LSU brawls and the Cardinal Stomping.

Golden was somewhere in between the Richt and Shannon hirings. He had gotten interviews at UCLA and Tennessee. He definitely would have gotten a Power 5 job if we hadn’t hired him. However, he topped out at 8-4 at Temple. And even at the time I was wondering if Temple’s move from the Big East to the MAC helped improve their win total.

Diaz was a bad hire. Similar to Shannon, he was DC under a head coach who we got rid of. Temple barely wanted him as head coach (he was their 3rd choice) and no other program ever considered him.
Dude 2 games.

Advertisement

You had me right up until the end. I agree on the previous hires, not so much on the last. I'd say it's too early to decide on Diaz, you can't actually tell after 2 games. Now it might turn out that he's terrible, and it'll be tempting to say you knew it all along. But the truth is that a rocky start doesn't mean he can't be good.

That said, I've got a lot less patience than I did back in the Randy days. I'll give him this year...I won't be happy about it, but he can stink it up this year and I won't chip in for a banner. Maybe I'm just soft, whatever. But I'll expect greatness in year two. And yes I realize how unlikely it is to suck year 1 and crush year 2, but I'm a fcking optimist. As shaky as the 2017 team was, am I the only one who thought "thank god, Richt has tought them how to win the close games...I think we'll be ok now"? Sure I was very wrong, but can you really blame me? Are you that jaded that you saw right through those "wins"? This is CIS, so probably you are all that jaded.

I just want to enjoy football, and I'm willing to sit through another year of crap to get there. And from a practical standpoint, if Manny can't fix this sht in the next year, nobody else can either. We aren't going to fire him at the end of the season, pay him 90 bajillion dollars not to be our coach, hire another guy, and win 10 games next year. We just aren't.

So I'm going with cautious optimism to preserve my sanity, I suggest the rest of you do the same.

You had me right up until the end. I agree on the previous hires, not so much on the last. I'd say it's too early to decide on Diaz, you can't actually tell after 2 games. Now it might turn out that he's terrible, and it'll be tempting to say you knew it all along. But the truth is that a rocky start doesn't mean he can't be good.

That said, I've got a lot less patience than I did back in the Randy days. I'll give him this year...I won't be happy about it, but he can stink it up this year and I won't chip in for a banner. Maybe I'm just soft, whatever. But I'll expect greatness in year two. And yes I realize how unlikely it is to suck year 1 and crush year 2, but I'm a fcking optimist. As shaky as the 2017 team was, am I the only one who thought "thank god, Richt has tought them how to win the close games...I think we'll be ok now"? Sure I was very wrong, but can you really blame me? Are you that jaded that you saw right through those "wins"? This is CIS, so probably you are all that jaded.

I just want to enjoy football, and I'm willing to sit through another year of crap to get there. And from a practical standpoint, if Manny can't fix this sht in the next year, nobody else can either. We aren't going to fire him at the end of the season, pay him 90 bajillion dollars not to be our coach, hire another guy, and win 10 games next year. We just aren't.

So I'm going with cautious optimism to preserve my sanity, I suggest the rest of you do the same.

What is holding him back this year? He has one of the best TEs in the country. A solid QB. A good WR group. A good RB group. The line is obviously shaky, but it is still about average for the Coastal.
He has no excuse for the defense. He has had years building that up and getting his guys in there.

What is holding him back this year? He has one of the best TEs in the country. A solid QB. A good WR group. A good RB group. The line is obviously shaky, but it is still about average for the Coastal.
He has no excuse for the defense. He has had years building that up and getting his guys in there.
Yeah, he's missed a lot on defense too.

When you lose 5 and 20 comes on the field. You know you failed at recruiting.

Advertisement
Yeah, he's missed a lot on defense too.

When you lose 5 and 20 comes on the field. You know you failed at recruiting.

Exactly. He has no excuses either since he was the guy that was building up that side of the ball. If his only issues where on offense it wouldn't be as big of a deal. However, the defense is mainly guys hes recruited. Any holes are on him.

he never recruited

he never recruited
His side of the ball. Definitely didn't stay on par with the offense.

If Gordon Ramsey was critiquing our defensive recruiting. He would tell Rump he was the best of the worst and to go up stairs and pick two for the chopping block. Then he would tell Patke and Banda to **** off.

DT, LB and S recruiting has been horrific. I know the answer of why we failed. You can look at the coaches at those position. How can you **** up recruiting on that side of the ball. When you have had the best to ever play the game. Come from your school and still alive and spitting HoF speeches on TV.

These kids see past that smoke and mirror D ranking and keep on trucking to the SEC. **** most JR don't want to come back and play in it.

Advertisement
OP gets it.

We continue to hire zero experience coaches, and they yield the same result.

Blake James has to go.

If Gordon Ramsey was critiquing our defensive recruiting. He would tell Rump he was the best of the worst and to go up stairs and pick two for the chopping block. Then he would tell Patke and Banda to **** off.

DT, LB and S recruiting has been horrific. I know the answer of why we failed. You can look at the coaches at those position. How can you **** up recruiting on that side of the ball. When you have had the best to ever play the game. Come from your school and still alive and spitting HoF speeches on TV.

These kids see past that smoke and mirror D ranking and keep on trucking to the SEC. **** most JR don't want to come back and play in it.
facts, tell @AustinCane6688 this cause if it came from me i wouldnt be a fan

Advertisement

You couldn't be more correct.

Advertisement
Back